Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Will I get bonus miles?

I've purchased the following round trip ticket on expedia.com:

Depart: EWR-BCN-TLV

Return: TLV-BCN-MAD-EWR

All segments are marketed by Spanair but the EWR-BCN and MAD-EWR segments are "operated by continental airlines".

No information was shown under "Rules and Restriction" so I called expedia to get the fare class codes. I was told that all segments are fare class L except the BCN-TLV segment which is fare class Z. I noticed that Z is supposed to be a business class code but my ticket shows economy for all segments. I told this to the rep. and she said she will check with Spanair but our call got disconnected.

According to united.com I can get miles for L on CO but not Spanair. Since the CO segments are marketed by Spanair I'm not sure which rules apply. On united.com, do I check my bonus miles eligibility for the marketing airline or the operating airline?

Also, what's the deal with my economy segment being a Z? Is this even possible? Could the expedia rep. simply be wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by G-fly; Mar 14, 2011 at 7:38 pm
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by G-fly
Since the CO segments are marketed by Spanair I'm not sure which rules apply.
With only a couple of esoteric exceptions, the metal is all that counts.

Also, what's the deal with my economy segment being a Z?
All airlines have different fare codes. There's nothing to stop Spanair from using Z for a Coach fare.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All airlines have different fare codes. There's nothing to stop Spanair from using Z for a Coach fare.
I realize that but united.com does list Z as Business for Spanair with 125% accrual.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I realize that but united.com does list Z as Business for Spanair with 125% accrual.
and CO showes Z as a SpainAir discounted airfare
http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...spx?ItemId=296 appears shomething is amiss (maybe the UA site).

Appears both UA & CO show all paid SpainAir fares are 100% or better mileage earning.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
and CO showes Z as a SpainAir discounted airfare
http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...spx?ItemId=296 appears shomething is amiss (maybe the UA site).

Appears both UA & CO show all paid SpainAir fares are 100% or better mileage earning.
Interesting...

Maybe it would be safer to open a FF account on CO and credit the miles to it. As I understand CO and UA EQMs and RDMs will be merged later this year.

BTW, when exactly is this supposed to happen?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Interesting...

Maybe it would be safer to open a FF account on CO and credit the miles to it. As I understand CO and UA EQMs and RDMs will be merged later this year.

BTW, when exactly is this supposed to happen?
this is what UA says
And while the two award-winning programs will continue to operate separately in 2011, we will be working hard to align benefits and provide you with a single world-class frequent flyer program by January 1, 2012.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.