Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United's New "Enrolled Friend" Employee Travel Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's New "Enrolled Friend" Employee Travel Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Originally Posted by stirdawg24
awesome. thanks so much. another question: if i make the reservation for coach but once at gate only first class is available for standby, will a first class charge still apply... even though i had reserved and "wanted" coach?

if you chose to sit in first(and if its available)you will pay the service charge in the cabin you are seated in. but....they have a better chance of hitting the mega millions before they get that coveted first class seat on a elite heavy route
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:33 pm

Great deal for employees, family, enrolled friends. Occasionally. Just be very aware of the loads, because you're space-available, and if your friend that enrolled you is new, his or her seniority is pretty low.

Mine seniority is 25+ years, and I'm usually sitting in a cockpit jumpseat (not an option for you) when I try to go SpaceA. When my wife is coming with me, we buy her a ticket on another airline unless we've got a day or two to get somewhere. It looks good on paper, but that's about all.

Bottom line, most flights are pretty risky. Have your friend check loads up until the day you fly, and have a backup plan unless your travel isn't time-critical.

Good luck

FAB
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by stirdawg24
i already did and this is the reason i'm asking on here. he is new there, he doesn't know and there is no customer phone service... and he doesn't want to find out what's deducted "after" his paycheck has arrived. thanks.
He needs to access the employee intranet portal. Once he does he needs to click on Weblist in the right hand pane. He will now eenter the desired itinerary. Once he does the loads will be shown. Click on the blue.city pairs in the first column and prices will be shown.

Enrolled friends are permitted unlimited, system-wide space available passes for any cabin, including 3 cabin F.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:38 pm

okay. thank you for all replies. i have access to the intranet portal and have the displayed prices. however, there is grand confusion in the display concerning having to pay an "imputed tax" for domestic partner/enrolled friend travel. At the very bottom of the price listings the following is stated with an asterisk:

Imputed Income One Way* $22.75 $26.60 $44.80 N/A

*Applies to Domestic Partner and Enrolled Friend travel.

The first column is first class, the 2nd column is business class, 3rd column is economy(coach), and 4th column is companion.

Very confused as to what the $44.80 represents for coach. if the sponsor has to pay that amount or a percentage of it... or something else. thanks!

Last edited by stirdawg24; Dec 1, 2011 at 10:46 pm
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: MileagePlus
What's Imputed Income?

Short answer:
It is income that will show up in the employees W-2 and is taxable.

So if you fly in coach there is no charge but as an Enrolled Friend the employee will have the imputed income added to his/her salary on their W-2. If you fly in F/C or BF the employee will have the service charge deducted from their pay check and the imputed income added to the W-2.

Long answer:
Imputed income is reported on Form W-2. Imputed income is not subject to the federal income tax withholding rules. Employees may choose to have federal income tax withheld on the imputed income or pay what may be due when filing their federal income tax return. Tax penalties may apply if the employee has not withheld enough federal income taxes on the imputed income. Imputed income is subject to withholding for FICA tax purposes. Imputed income is also often relevant to determinations of support payments in divorce.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:55 am

thanks so much as that clears it up!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:24 pm

Int'l Unaccompanied Companion Pass Question

Looking to take EWR-EDI next month on a Companion Pass and employee won't be there. He said I can list in Business/First but I was told by someone else that Economy is the best I can hope for. Which (who) is correct?

Also - employee gave me two prices; one for transatlantic Economy and the other for Business/First. He said that if pre-paying (ie, not a payroll deduction) and I pay for Business/First but only get Economy, UAL states there is no refund. Just wanted to make sure that was correct also.

Cheers for any confirmation.

*Updated to say that BizFirst should be available since EWR-EDI is 2 cabin and not 3.

Last edited by Hoosier_Daddy; Aug 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Looking to take EWR-EDI next month on a Companion Pass and employee won't be there. He said I can list in Business/First but I was told by someone else that Economy is the best I can hope for. Which (who) is correct?

Also - employee gave me two prices; one for transatlantic Economy and the other for Business/First. He said that if pre-paying (ie, not a payroll deduction) and I pay for Business/First but only get Economy, UAL states there is no refund. Just wanted to make sure that was correct also.

Cheers for any confirmation.

*Updated to say that BizFirst should be available since EWR-EDI is 2 cabin and not 3.
On 2 class international flights, unaccompanied buddy passes are not allowed in the Business-First Cabin. Only prepay the coach fare as they will not upgrade you to BF.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, ICH Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have flown a few times on UA Buddy passes. What they have told me is that on former UA flights, that an unaccompanied person can only fly coach and business. If they are with the employee they can obviously also fly first,of course this is all based on availibility . The cost for each cabin is different. On former CO flights you can only fly coach without the employee. I have gotten very lucky and was able to fly to the the London Olympics both ways in Business from Chicago (this was decided on a week before the games, and the seats were wide open!) and was slated to fly Business to Rome in November, but super storm Sandy unfortunately changed that...but I still got Premium Economy. Good luck all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.