Wiki Posts
Search

No receipt for award tickets fees?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, BR, DL
No receipt for award tickets fees?

I recently refunded an award ticket because I had a business trip that conflicted with it and the business trip will be expensed. I intend to submit my $100 award refund fee for reimbursement by the company (which they already said is fine).

However, UA never emailed me a receipt for this $100 fee. I called reservations (ICC), and they said call refunds. I called refunds and they said call mileage plus. So finally I called mileage plus (ICC again) and they said that UA does not provide receipts for these award fees. "Just look at your credit card statement" they said. I might be able to get away with that, but I'd be more comfortable if I can provide documented proof to my company that the $100 is a relevant expense.

I did call my credit card company and ask them to request a receipt, which costs $2. I'm doing it partially just to see what happens, since UA supposedly doesn't even have a receipt. It will take a few weeks.

Anybody have any experience in this regard that can provide some advice for how to tickle a receipt from UA?
Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahh...airlines. UA isn't alone in this, but I find it absurd.

Well, if they don't respond to the media retrieval request for the receipt, the charge would usually be charged back to them.

I've never paid a UA cancellation/redeposit fee. Their other annoying award fees are usually included on the e-mailed e-ticket receipts.

Did you get an e-receipt e-mail when your ticket was cancelled? Can you view your itinerary on ual.com (enter the conf # and last name if it doesn't show up automatically)? If so, sometimes you can view the e-receipt--maybe the info is there.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I did an XF award a few weeks ago, and received a hard-copy receipt for the $10 fee in the mail about a week after I completed the trip.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Did you get an e-receipt e-mail when your ticket was cancelled? Can you view your itinerary on ual.com (enter the conf # and last name if it doesn't show up automatically)? If so, sometimes you can view the e-receipt--maybe the info is there.
I have the original e-ticket receipt showing the $5 security fee I had to pay when ticketing. The original ticket number and confirmation number can no longer be found on .bomb after I cancelled the ticket (I tried both). The ICC was able to pull it up and was able to send me another copy of the e-ticket receipt, but that receipt unfortunately still does not show the $100 fee.

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOSdave
The ICC was able to pull it up and was able to send me another copy of the e-ticket receipt, but that receipt unfortunately still does not show the $100 fee.
Does a ticket number appear on your credit card statement with the $100 charge? If that is a different numnber than that of the original ticket, maybe UA could pull up an e-ticket receipt based on that number.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Does a ticket number appear on your credit card statement with the $100 charge? If that is a different numnber than that of the original ticket, maybe UA could pull up an e-ticket receipt based on that number.
Interesting idea.... Yes, there is a 13-digit number on my credit card statement. This was a two-passenger PNR and there was a $100 fee for each passenger. The number on my statement starts with 01600 for the first passenger. The second passenger's number starts with 71600 and the rest of the number is the same. This is _not_ the same e-ticket number as the original award ticket, but the 016 certainly makes it look like a valid e-ticket number.

I can't get any of the .bomb tools to accept this e-ticket number as valid but maybe I'll try calling the ICC again and play dumb, "could I have a receipt for this e-ticket number please?".
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
The key thing is to get all the paper trail you need BEFORE cancelling ....
All my award tickets show up in my itineraries and you can get an e-receipt there .
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbr6891
The key thing is to get all the paper trail you need BEFORE cancelling ....
All my award tickets show up in my itineraries and you can get an e-receipt there .
I do have the e-receipt for the trip itself. It's the receipt for the cancel fee that I'm trying to get.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOSdave
I can't get any of the .bomb tools to accept this e-ticket number as valid but maybe I'll try calling the ICC again and play dumb, "could I have a receipt for this e-ticket number please?".
It's worth a shot, and I'd definitely avoid mentioning anything about why you want the receipt and what it should be a receipt for.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:45 am
Original Poster

It's worth a shot, and I'd definitely avoid mentioning anything about why you want the receipt and what it should be a receipt for.
I tried it but no dice. He said it was an invalid e-ticket number. I then revealed to him that it was a "pseudo" e-ticket merely for a fee. He said the refunds department should be able to pull it up in that case. I guess I'll give refunds another try on Monday.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Please keep us updated on how this turns out -- my husband has had to change tickets in the past for a $100 fee, and his accounting department absolutely will not accept credit card statements as proof of payment. He has to fill out a missing receipt affidavit, and they don't like people to make a habit of that (i.e., more than 1 or 2 per fiscal year).
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Executive Platinum, Hyatt - Diamond Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I was lucky and bought a ticket from SJC to IAD for $315 on UA. I saw a US Air had a similar flight for $250, but with a layover each way and I would have had to flown out of SFO. I prefer going non-stop.

I too prefer my miles on United, however if it's a big difference use common sense. You can use that money for other luxuries or expenses. It's just getting from point a to point b. I prefer Jet Blue with the TV's sometimes! It makes coast to coast easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.