Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL to charge $25 to check second bag for certain customers and other related changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: WN, Marriott, Choice
In a story in today's Houston Chronicle, indications are that it's all about profits...

"...The charge, the first such move by a major American airline, will generate more than $100 million in revenue and cost savings each year, UAL Corp. said."

The story went on to add that CO had no comment. "...A Continental spokeswoman would not comment on whether the airline is considering similar action, saying discussion of future pricing could violate Department of Justice regulations."
Old Feb 4, 2008, 2:50 pm

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
Please put this in a letter to UA

Originally Posted by Mary Louise

I do not have status on UA, however they are or should I say were my airline of choice. I usually travel 3- 4 times a year and fly UA a combination of business and pleasure.

I take one cruise a year and both my husband and I check 3 bags between us. We bring one garment bag for our formal wear. The other suitcases have our weekly clothes as well as our snorkel gear. With this new policy I guess we will be carrying on more bags. Before I did not carry on bags because I could not be bothered for fighting for overhead bin space. Now I will make sure that I get a window seat (because they usually board first) and I will have overhead bin space.

WN just changed their policy from three bags to two, which is reasonable. What UA is doing is not reasonable. I don't mind paying for food, headphones, and those extras, but paying $25.00 one way or $50.00 RT is excessive.

ML
Please send this exact note to UA. They need to know that they have some regular, but not exactly frequent customers that have been part of the limited success that they have. They need to realize that many of the customers that they will lose over this were a steady source of revenue much greater than the $25 "gotcha" fees imposed by surprise at check in.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Here's my take on this - I've never flown United before (then what am I doing here? Being bored )... and I think this policy is just ridiculous. I'd understand if they had a 3-free baggage allowance and was reducing it to two (Southwest did that - it's actually reasonable, given high fuel costs, and the increased number of people travelling these days), but just one free checked bag?

C'mon. I'm a college student and almost always travel with two checked luggage (in rare cases, three, but using Southwest - guess I'll have to cough up the extra $25 but it's still reasonable). How about families? Elderly people travelling?

This just isn't a good business decision. Perhaps a good financial decision, but not customer service friendly at all.

I see this headed in two directions:

1) Other airlines will follow, and many people will be missing the "good old days" when they were permitted to check two bags for free.
2) Other airlines will see the complaints and foresee the possible consquences of United's actions, and not implement a similiar policy. United will then smart up and rescind this policy, or make it more reasonable.

Let's hope it's the latter.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Curbside hell for 1K

This sucks.

Will slow down the curbside check-in for all passengers, including elites. It will take longer than the $2 tip for Glenn and his buddies, as people try to whip out the credit card or try to get change.

This makes online check-in useless for me for any trip over 2 days. I've been printing at home and checking the bag curbside, but come May 5, I 'll belly up to the elite check-in to get the bp and check the bag.

-Cyborg
Old Feb 4, 2008, 2:57 pm

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
Please put this in a letter to UA

[sorry, double post]

But let me modify it by saying that UA needs to take a second look at this absurd policy. There's no blood in those rocks. You can squeeze them, but they're not going to be there next time.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:02 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WayMaker
Please send this exact note to UA. They need to know that they have some regular, but not exactly frequent customers that have been part of the limited success that they have. They need to realize that many of the customers that they will lose over this were a steady source of revenue much greater than the $25 "gotcha" fees imposed by surprise at check in.
So you think an anecdotal letter from a customer who is likely just shopping for the lowest available fare is going to make UA revisit the assumptions they obviously modeled around revenue gained vs. business lost?

Don't you think the current surcharge on overweight bags has provided UA with some fairly good insights as to how customers react to fees, and how other airlines are likely to respond?

You do raise a valid point that this should not be a "gotcha" fee - it should be clearly disclosed during the purchase process and via airport signage, so customers aren't surprised when they reach the ticket counter.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Thumbs down Punishing working families, the United way!

This new policy is reprehensible; and it will punish elites with longer lines and overcrowded overhead bins, along with higher fees for people who work for a living.

This just isn't right.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Something tells that no matter how well UA notifies the customer of this, there will be many upset pax with "deer in the headlights" faces at the airport. Just no way around it.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:11 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Out of curiosity, what does it cost to ship a suitcase sized piece of luggage weighing 50 lbs for same day delivery in the continental US? My guess is MORE that the cost of an airline ticket, which includes a free checked bag, a carry on, and a personal item in addition to the passenger. Next day delivery?

WN still has their fuel hedged for the forseeable future with about 1/2 of their needs at well under half of the spot price. They give you an extra bag, and usually have similar (sometimes more, sometimes less) prices than UA.

It is a competitive world. UA was hurt bad by Asian economy collapse, a summer of BAD service, northern California tech bubble burst, and 9/11. In chap 11, the judge did not allow "specualtive investments" on fuel hedging. Woo to UA....poor diversification, poor labor relations..wahtever. Now, with uncovered expences, they choose to pass on some costs to those that directly use them, instead of taxing everyone for the service.

Such is life. In the end, if I didn't work for UA, I would make my own choices based strength of schedule and price, then on service. Prices are more often than not, competitive. Strength of service, UA is fare above average for where I live. Service is sometimes excellent, sometimes terrible....that last one is a wash.

If I needed the 2nd bag in addtion to my 1+1 and the price was competitive, I may choose to pay $25. I know if other airlines matched, this entire arguement is moot...we all will pay unless we have a refundable tkt, or status.

If UA cost less, and I had to pay $25 more, it would be a wash...strength of schedule would choose UA for me.

If UA cost more and the alternatives were acceptabel, I would fly away from UA due to both cost and $25...that assumes I need to check that much luggage.

In the end, we will all do what is best for us. My time is worth alot to me. The convienence of flying some place without connecting and paying $25 more for the rare times that I need that much luggage and the alternatives don't suit my needs, I will do it. Drawing lines in the sand now is not productive. Compare products and costs when you need to fly, and determine your value propostition for yourself at that time.

As for "punishing working families"....that is a bit extreme. It is a pay for use thing. One day "Airlines rape the business man...subsidizing the ma and pa kettles" the next day they are "punishing working men". You can't be everything to everyone all the time. You want frequent flights to podunk as well as high cost airports and great destinations to burn miles? Costs have to be met. Who better to pay for them than the people who use the services that increase the marginal cost of ramp labor, fuel and CS labor (as well as liability costs and displacement of cargo costs?)

Last edited by fastair; Feb 4, 2008 at 3:20 pm
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just received this email:

Changes to our baggage policies

Important new changes to our baggage policies

Dear Mr. XXX YYYY,

As of February 4, 2008, United has a new checked baggage
policy. Non-elite Mileage Plus(R) members and non-members
traveling on non-refundable Economy tickets within the
United States, Canada and U.S. territories, may check one
bag for free and a second for a $25 fee. The new policy
applies to tickets purchased beginning February 4, 2008 for
travel on or after May 5, 2008.

As a valued Mileage Plus 1K(R) member you will be exempt
from this new fee. The number of bags you are allowed to
check at no charge will continue to be in accordance with
your Mileage Plus status and/or class of service flown.

We have also simplified many of the other fees charged to
check items that require special handling because they are
large, overweight or fragile. For further details on these
policies visit united.com/baggage.

http://mymileageplus.com/mmps/97497/...d5684b02bf5364

Thank you for choosing United.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
1. I am glad that I will not be subsidizing people that use the airline as a shipping company nearly as much.

2. I don't think this wil effect families as much as some fear. I have found that the "Checked bags per person" ratio goes down as more of us travel together. 50 lbs of checked bagage is still a lot of stuff per kid.

3. I predict large sales of 49 lbs size suit cases.

4. I do fear this will lead to more bin crowding and gate check confusion.

5. I am surprised that "second items" carried on board were not being charged for first. I would think the drive to pack more people on the plane and decrease turn around time would lead to making checking bags "cheaper" and carry-ons "more expensive".
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by yogi
I would think the drive to pack more people on the plane and decrease turn around time would lead to making checking bags "cheaper" and carry-ons "more expensive".
Carry-ons don't require additional union employees to load and unload them.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *Wood gold
There goes any family trips in the future. I have 3 kids and a wife (none have status). I went from 11 bags to 7. Don't forget car seats/port-a-cribs/and strollers that aren't checked at the gate count as a bag! My kids are all in car seats so that means that everything I take on vacation for my kids comes on the plane!

I had my hopes for United's future. This is going to bury them.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
Out of curiosity, what does it cost to ship a suitcase sized piece of luggage weighing 50 lbs for same day delivery in the continental US?
For same-day-delivery it costs a lot, but a lot of what you are paying for there are logistics costs.
For FedEx ground/home delivery, I just priced out standard, non-discounted rates. For 50#, Boston->Philadelphia, the cost was $19-$20 (2 day service). For Boston->Los Angeles, the cost was $48-50 (4 day service).
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally posted in AA forum but moved here as more appropriate:

Yet another nickle-and-dime fee!

I don't know why UA pays millions to retain management. They could just hire trained apes to copy whatever Ryanair does. I'm sure soft drinks will soon have a fee, too.

Personally I can easily survive with one checked bag for a week-long vacation. But I often need two when taking a ski trip, plus the ski bag itself (which is always comp'd). So as a soon-to-be ex-2p, UA will definitely lose my biz to competitors for ski trips, particularly with WN making inroads at DEN (and already a nice presence at SLC). All I need is an alternative to UA and AC at YVR, and then I can say "hasta la vista" to UA and AC during the winter.

With fuel costs rising (which go up as the plane weighs more), I don't blame UA for yet another stinger in the side. And hopefully UA won't miss the revenue from millions of families who decide to move their business to another carrier with better prices and service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.