Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Circa 1999, GOLD Ticket Jackets Available at DEN! - and 2009/10 update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Circa 1999, GOLD Ticket Jackets Available at DEN! - and 2009/10 update

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Smile Circa 1999, GOLD Ticket Jackets Available at DEN! - and 2009/10 update

2009 Update: CollegeFlyer has found some Circa 2001 BP's at SFO-
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
The last of an age going by?

At SFO yesterday, I rescued a very small stack of sturdy, cardboard, gold BP jackets from the dumpster. (Metaphorically speaking. I did not literally take things from the dumpster.) This is the thick, glossy kind, with an extra sleeve in the top flap which was good for holding paper tickets, lounge invitations, DM cards...or just more BPs if you were on an MR with way too many segments. :-:

The print date is 06/01, and on the back there is an ad for the United Mileage Plus Platinum Visa, with an offer for 3,000 bonus miles on first use. (Yes, 3,000. I did not miss a zero. Talk about inflation, huh?)

I took a few for myself, and also a few extras for other FTers because I know many on here have written that they miss the old, sturdier BP jackets. ^ Or that they now fly from stations that don't even give BP jackets at all! If you would like me to send you one or two of these, please reply and/or PM me. I would just request that (a) you don't ask for too many, and (b) you be willing to re-use the ticket jackets. So that I can get these to the FTers who would get the most use of them.

...And for those of you who are a bit more adventurous and will be traveling through SFO soon, there are many more where these came from. At least for now. They can be found in multiple locations...PM me for info. Do be advised, however, that good judgment and a thick skin are required.

All of the pick-up locations can be easily reached by anyone holding a valid boarding pass (meaning that you don't have to sneak through any locked doors, or pass any "Restricted Area" signs, etc.). Despite that fact, however, if another passenger sees you doing the "dumpster rescue" I did, they might report you for suspicious behavior, after which I don't know what would happen. I doubt that you would get arrested (although I can't guarantee anything), but you could potentially be detained for long enough to miss your connection(s). So be careful. If you still want the treasure map, please PM me.

My original posting from 2008 below-
Originally Posted by warreng24
As previously reported in this thread, the closet cleaning at DEN continues!

The old (circa 1998) GOLD ticket jackets are available at DEN.

See the (unmanned) customer service center between Gates B20 and B22 at DEN.

These are the old gold ones that come on the super ultra stiff paper with the inside "pocket" behind the area where the agent is supposed to stick your luggage claim check.

Front has the modern GOLD United tulip along with the modern "UNITED" text along with a color tulip.

Back has a combined MCI WORLDCOM and MILEAGE PLUS advertisement that reports that you can earn 5 miles for ever $1 you spend on MCI WorldCom services. Copyright on the advertisement is 1998.

The inside is dated 5/99 and looks pretty normal. The inside pocket has an advertisement for the Star Alliance and shows the (circa 1999) members and their logos (UA, AC, LH, SK, TG, RG).

When I get home, I'll post some scans.

I managed to grab about half a dozen. PM me with your address if you want one.

Get 'em while they last!

Last edited by warreng24; May 7, 2009 at 8:17 am
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Gold 5*
Will be there tomorrow afternoon, I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are some more!!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:04 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Speaking of these ancient jackets, about 2 years ago I managed to receive a SILVER jacket. Other than the predominant color, my silver jacket seems exactly the same as the OP's gold version, down to the MCI Worldcom advertisement and the diminished Star roster.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
Speaking of these ancient jackets, about 2 years ago I managed to receive a SILVER jacket. Other than the predominant color, my silver jacket seems exactly the same as the OP's gold version, down to the MCI Worldcom advertisement and the diminished Star roster.
Got the SILVER jacket at BOS last Friday. Beautiful jacket. On the back it has an offer for a whopping 5,000 bonus miles for getting a MP Visa
Old Jan 28, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA1K
i got a silver one at ONT in june of 06. print date is 1/01. the thick jackets are awesome! they need to bring those back, or at least mail me a box of them.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
These are pics of the Circa 1999 BP's that I found in DEN. I am having issues with the web hosting. When you click the link and get the error, hit the reload button on your browser to view the images.

Last edited by warreng24; May 7, 2009 at 8:18 am
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:21 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
bits of the past as seen on your scan, phone numbers for:

Shuttle by United
Santiago, Chile
Delhi, India
Auckland, New Zealand
Lima, Peru
Caracas, Venezuela

Ansett Australia flight numbers
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:07 pm
Original Member

Bag allowance was 70 lbs...

...and Mesa was not listed.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:21 am

Varig is
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:52 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
No offense to all of you, but I cannot believe that there is this much excitement over ticket jackets. I mean come on already...
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:36 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
These old ticket jackets are much sturdier and durable than the new ones. I say bring them back permanently as well as the Godivas in Intl F.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I just got a silver ticket jacket from SFO RCC last week. It was printed in 2000, and had an ad for MCI Worldcomm. How much is it worth?
Old May 11, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, HH Diamond
I picked up a 2003 Gold Ticket Jacket at SCE yesterday, I didnt realize it until this afternoon, the paper on those ticket jackets are so stiff, wow. and On the back it has a promo for 30,000 miles for Sprint.
Old May 11, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BlackBear05
I picked up a 2003 Gold Ticket Jacket at SCE yesterday, I didnt realize it until this afternoon, the paper on those ticket jackets are so stiff, wow. and On the back it has a promo for 30,000 miles for Sprint.
Nice find!

I found a circa 1998 United Business silver ticket jacket at LAX T8 once, wonder what it's worth on ebay.
Old May 11, 2008, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I just got a silver ticket jacket from SFO RCC last week. It was printed in 2000, and had an ad for MCI Worldcomm. How much is it worth?
Put it up on ebay and you will see

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.