Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cite to rule that A-fare is a First Class fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cite to rule that A-fare is a First Class fare?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:01 pm

If you book and pay for a first class seat, the airline better darn well put you in a first class seat no matter what. If there are issues with the airplane, they still need to hold to their agreement and contract with you for a first class seat.

Let's say there were 10 first class seats and there was an issue with the plane so they moved to a plane with only 8 first class seats, in my opinion, they could OFFER coach but if the 2 people who didn't get first class did not want coach, they should get first class on the next flight out, compensation, and a free flight.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by Ari

You can't. Those CSR's who are convinced they are right will generally not budge on this issue. The best way to prove you are on a first class ticket is to buy your ticket on a carrier that offers true first class service.
Unfortunately no one else offers the quality of international business/first class hard product between SFO/ORD. The new config aircraft is amazing compared to any other F service between those two cities.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by jgsx
A few weeks ago, I was flying on a two segment HUAUP booking class A first class ticket. There were two segments, and I missed my connection. I was booked on a later flight, but only in economy. I tried to get into first, but the agent kept insisting that it was an economy fare. I told her it wasn't, and she just kept repeating to talk to my travel agent (I'm my travel agent!). It was only a short flight, so I just got over it and flew in economy.

Tomorrow I'm going to be flying on a HUAUP booking class A ticket again, but trying to stand by for an earlier flight. I can see trouble. I think they'll try to put me back in Economy.

How can I prove that I'm on a first class ticket, and not an economy ticket + upgrade?
Please do us all a favor and the next time that happens take out your phone and call the GS number right away and get them to explain. I need to touch wood that this has never happened to me with A fares but it happened yet again this year on a Z. I did not lose my seat in the cabin, but was asked by the GA since I was in FC (2 cabin plane to MEX) on an upgrade according to her to switch seats so an elderly couple could travel together. I absolutely did not mind, but I am not sure the GA believed me when I told her that Z fares book into FC on a 2-cabin plane because it is a revenue business class ticket. She was was still pondering the lack of an applied upgrade instrument as she reprinted my BP.... Sheesh!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Gate agents don't care about pieces of paper that I printed from the internet. How can I make them see it on their screen?
Click for a detailed compilation - listing and outlining all known UA revenue/award/upgrade booking codes "A - Z" (and details and validity of many UA Upgrade Certificates) and how to (mostly!) access and view them on: www.ual.com

I posted United's new and offiicial "Contract of Carriage" last week here for the benefit of members.

United advised March 2009 that this below is the official "pecking order" in order of fare class hierarchy.

From United's own http://www.united.com/ual/asset/COC06mar09final.pdf Contract of Carriage page 21: [/url]

United Airlines, Inc. Updated: March 5, 2009

FARES ARE PUBLISHED IN THE FOLLOWING DESCENDING CLASS OF SERVICE/BOOKING CODE ORDER:

1) FIRST CLASS:
BOOKING CODE: F

2) RESTRICTED FIRST CLASS:
BOOKING CODE: P
BOOKING CODE: A

3) BUSINESS CLASS:
BOOKING CODE: C

4) RESTRICTED BUSINESS CLASS:
BOOKING CODE: D
BOOKING CODE: Z

5) COACH CLASS:
BOOKING CODE: Y

6) RESTRICTED COACH CLASS:

BOOKING CODE: B
BOOKING CODE: M
BOOKING CODE: E
BOOKING CODE: U
BOOKING CODE: H
BOOKING CODE: Q
BOOKING CODE: V
BOOKING CODE: W
BOOKING CODE: S
BOOKING CODE: T
BOOKING CODE: K
BOOKING CODE: L
BOOKING CODE: G

=====================================
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
Originally Posted by ozstamps

I posted United's new and offiicial "Contract of Carriage" last week here for the benefit of members.
This will make little difference. The point is not so much that GAs do not realize A-fares are first class, it is that they do not realize -UP fares such as HXXXUP or QXXXUP fares etc etc book into A. The vast majority of times a HXXX fare base will book into H, a QXXX into Q etc. This is what an uninformed agent can believe for all fares. Some may even go so far as to think that they are Q or H coach fares with a complimentary upgrade (from the -UP at the end). The hardest thing about this would be proving to the agent that the fare books into A and not the booking class of the first letter of the fare basis.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by gbsfo
The hardest thing about this would be proving to the agent that the fare books into A and not the booking class of the first letter of the fare basis.
It's not hard. A simple fare rule display will show both the booking code and the fact that's it's filed as a first class fare. The agent just needs to be willing to listen - something many agents have forgotten.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:08 am
Suspended

Unfortunately no one else offers the quality of international business/first class hard product between SFO/ORD. The new config aircraft is amazing compared to any other F service between those two cities.
Now I'm confused. What domestic -UP fare books into F on the new config (three class) aircraft?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Now I'm confused. What domestic -UP fare books into F on the new config (three class) aircraft?
You're right, I made things confusing. To answer your question, none that I know of. I was just talking about the new 3 cabins, which is off topic. The flight that I got stuck back in Y on was a 2 cabin.

UA came through today, and I switched flights from A to A with no minimal hassle.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:06 am
Suspended

You're right, I made things confusing. To answer your question, none that I know of. I was just talking about the new 3 cabins, which is off topic. The flight that I got stuck back in Y on was a 2 cabin.

UA came through today, and I switched flights from A to A with no minimal hassle.
I can't believe you bought another F ticket on UA after that.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I can't believe you bought another F ticket on UA after that.
Whats the alternative? Go to another carrier where the -UP fares really are Y fares with a comp upgrade? Or buy full F on those carriers?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:06 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Whats the alternative? Go to another carrier where the -UP fares really are Y fares with a comp upgrade? Or buy full F on those carriers?
I think CO doesn't do this -UP BS-- not to say that they are a good choice for most flying patterns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.