FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Upsell Offers From UA For Business/First Seating (Time of Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/530404-upsell-offers-ua-business-first-seating-time-purchase-olci-gate.html)

FlyinHawaiian Jan 30, 2009 2:41 pm

Booking a multi-segement itin and was offered an upsell to F SFO-LAX for $179.00. No thanks.

jhcapps3 Jan 31, 2009 7:24 am

Originally Posted by jhcapps3 (Post 11139925)
If you have a 2 segment flight under 1 flight number like UA 895/6 and do an upgrade for cash. Will the UFC be for both segments or will you have to pay per segment. Y-C or C-F

Haven't seen a response to this question. Any ideas?

Diplomatico Jan 31, 2009 7:39 am

Originally Posted by pacificboot (Post 11137208)
SFO-LAX

Purchased cheap L fare

Upgrade to Economy Plus: $25
Premier Line: $25
Upgrade to First Class: $149 (during booking) and $77 (during online checkin)

I am surprised UA would offer First Class upsell during the booking process! But for a short flight from SFO to LAX, I feel that First Class (with no food service) would probably be worth at most $40, so didn't pay anything.

First time I've seen this mentioned here....offered an upsell during booking.

WineCountryUA Jan 31, 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 11175707)
First time I've seen this mentioned here....offered an upsell during booking.

Have been offered a few times -- either late purchases or intra-California runs (like the poster)

Benny8444 Jan 31, 2009 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 11135652)
Sadly, this appears to be the new policy.

If this were me I would ask for a supervisor and demand that my SWU be cleared.

This is not right UA :mad:

Why do you do this when we are your backbone and your most loyal customers. :td::td:

flyinbob Jan 31, 2009 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 11137386)
Typing from the Senator Lounge at MUC.

Asked and was offered Business to First for $649, MUC-ORD on the new 767.

Full paid C, or NC? I'm in Munich right now and might take the up from my NC if offered. You asked?

keithguy Jan 31, 2009 1:03 pm

Recently flew LHR-SFO in W class, was offered at the kiosk to upgrade to business for 459 GBP.

This was after already having been checked in by an agent (no offer for upgrade nor did I ask). I wanted to go back to look at the Y seat map and was offered the upgrade.

RodneyBD Feb 1, 2009 1:26 am

Prompting a check-in agent or RCC staff for UFC - How to?

Ok, I need some help, I have been through many of the posts on this thread, and saw one that mentioned how it can be helpful to gently assist the agent at check in when inquiring about UFC. Perhaps someone can lay out some pointers for myself and future FT members who want to consider this approach. I am also assuming UFC offers are still viable/possible for XY tix. In my case I am ticketed in XY, and the outbound portion has four segments. I'd like to approach the gate agent or RCC desk and inquire about a UFC for just one particular segment. Lets assume the agent has a very foggy idea of what I am referring to - what sort of look up guidance could I give him/her in order to get a UFC offer? Mahalo for any thoughts or advice!

skywalkerLAX Feb 1, 2009 1:36 am

Originally Posted by RodneyBD (Post 11179621)
Ok, I need some help, I have been through many of the posts on this thread, and saw one that mentioned how it can be helpful to gently assist the agent at check in when inquiring about UFC. Perhaps someone can lay out some pointers for myself and future FT members who want to consider this approach. I am also assuming UFC offers are still viable/possible for XY tix. In my case I am ticketed in XY, and the outbound portion has four segments. I'd like to approach the gate agent or RCC desk and inquire about a UFC for just one particular segment. Lets assume the agent has a very foggy idea of what I am referring to - what sort of look up guidance could I give him/her in order to get a UFC offer? Mahalo for any thoughts or advice!

The agent will know exactly what you are referring to.

Ask if there are any upsells to Business Class available today for your flight.

What is your routing btw ?

FiveMileFinal Feb 1, 2009 1:42 am

Was offered NC on tomorrow night's SFO-LHR for $859. I declined; I have 17A on an S fare. I'd prefer to UFC on the inbound, honestly.

We'll see if it goes lower tomorrow. Seat map showed 12-14ABEHJ and a slew of Es open.

I must say, in the 5 years I've done TATLs on United I've never seen this flight this empty. But I suppose that goes without saying.

Tor Viking Feb 1, 2009 8:14 pm

Bought a V-class ticket from LHR to YVR via SFO.
Upgraded to C with a SWU.
Came to the gate and was offered to sit in First class for £224.00
So I thought LHR-SFO is a long bloody flight..............why not. I took it :p
I sat in 1A and had a great time. Awesome FA`s and great food.
Was it worth it...both yes and no.
But at least I got a great pic of myself in First Class to show off to my friends :)
-they hated it....:D

flyerbjorn Feb 1, 2009 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tor Viking (Post 11183476)
But at least I got a great pic of myself in First Class to show off to my friends :)

£224.00 (about $323) sounds really cheap, given that the last post before you was offered $859 for SFO-LHR. Maybe they made a mistake in your favor ^ :cool:

onlyquestions Feb 1, 2009 9:47 pm

Phenomenal Deal

UFC for 224 Pounds LHR-SFO? That is excellent. Was C empty? That is the lowest that I have seen in quite sometime.

I was just offered at BOOKING a chance to upgrade the return only of a day trip SFO-LAX-SFO for $95 each. Declined (doesn't seem worth it for a 50 minute flight). The base ticket only cost $119 r/t and was purchased 2 days before the flight. This Southwest promotion must be really hurting the legacy carriers.

OQ

DaleG Feb 1, 2009 9:52 pm

$308 offered for BWI-ORD-LAX on 1/29.

flyinbob Feb 2, 2009 12:34 am

If you are ever in any UA city in Germany, this will NEVER happen. They will go to great lengths to explain the RULES to you, and you know how Germans LOVE rules. This is a double upgrade, NOT ALLOWED EVER! :rolleyes: