FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Why Was UA #895 (ORD-HKG) diverted to SFO Sunday, 12/18? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/505354-why-ua-895-ord-hkg-diverted-sfo-sunday-12-18-a.html)

Teeejay Dec 18, 2005 4:58 pm

Why Was UA #895 (ORD-HKG) diverted to SFO Sunday, 12/18?

Anybody know the reason?

lucky9876coins Dec 18, 2005 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Teeejay
Anybody know the reason?

Ouch! Showing 1:35AM arrival, over six hours late. Has to be more than just a fuel stop............

flyinbob Dec 18, 2005 5:06 pm

ORD-HKG doesn't usually go anywhere near SFO. Refueling would be in ANC or even SEA or NRT, not SFO. Picking up additional passengers maybe? Seems odd...

Eastbay1K Dec 18, 2005 5:06 pm

If it is SFO, it is probably for a mechanical that is best served by their own 747 mechanics prior to going over the water. If it was fuel, SFO is way out of the way. Also, if a mechanical that may required the plane to possibly go out of service, better in SFO with UA than anywhere else if you want to get where you are going, eventually. Of course, with today's weather, eventually is the key :p

tracon Dec 18, 2005 5:15 pm

The flight diverted to SFO when it was over northern canada. Should be arriving SFO about 17:30 local.

andrewp Dec 18, 2005 6:39 pm

Take a peek at the flight plot on www.flightview.com ... I wouldn't want to be on that flight.

lucky9876coins Dec 18, 2005 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by andrewp
Take a peek at the flight plot on www.flightview.com ... I wouldn't want to be on that flight.

WOW!!!! Gotta be something important in SFO, looking at that route! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

qasr Dec 18, 2005 6:47 pm

This is the mileage runners dream of how to get from ORD-SFO :D

It looks like it is still scheduled to stop in ANC before it gets to HKG.

itsme Dec 18, 2005 6:47 pm

how many RDM and EQM

Well first, I earnestly hope that the diversion was not on account of any serious health or safety issues. Then I would wonder about the RDM and EQM implications - do you get the RDM and EQM according to where your flight was supposed to go or according to where in fact it went? That flight map shows a lot of additional miles covered.

UAalltheway Dec 18, 2005 6:51 pm

As of posting, UA 895 is it 3,100 feet and 200 knots...

Really curious now as to what happend/is happening.

qasr Dec 18, 2005 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by itsme
Well first, I earnestly hope that the diversion was not on account of any serious health or safety issues. Then I would wonder about the RDM and EQM implications - do you get the RDM and EQM according to where your flight was supposed to go or according to where in fact it went? That flight map shows a lot of additional miles covered.

You only ever get scheduled miles point to point. Diversions help nobody.

qasr Dec 18, 2005 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by UAalltheway
As of posting, UA 895 is it 3,100 feet and 200 knots...

Really curious now as to what happend/is happening.

It is landing at SFO.

kevinsac Dec 18, 2005 6:57 pm

Am on the phone with 1K International right now......"No, sir. That flight is on its way to Hong Kong. Our system does not show a diversion." :eek:

itsme Dec 18, 2005 7:04 pm

no extra RDM or EQM?!

Originally Posted by qasr
You only ever get scheduled miles point to point. Diversions help nobody.

Fly all those additional miles and no extra RDM or EQM to show for it?! Insult added to injury (and hopefully, no true injury, only inconvenience).

Suppose the passengers go on later from SFO to HKG on another plane with a different flight number, same no extra RDM and EQM for ORD-SFO-HKG than originally scheduled/routed ORD-HKG?

robb Dec 18, 2005 7:11 pm

So, what path did it take? Flight tracker won't show any info now that it's landed.