FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated Thread to Post Your UA Website Experiences/Complaints (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/482441-consolidated-thread-post-your-ua-website-experiences-complaints.html)

sierranevada Dec 31, 2007 1:51 pm

I was finally able to log in and my miles and status are back! Tried to call 1P number to confirm a schedule change - first try was a static busy and subsequent tries give me dead air. Maybe the Y2K bug is catching up the .bomb!

ivoryboi Dec 31, 2007 1:58 pm

I suspect this one might be the end-of-year-zero-ing out phase.

Pretty soon we'll all have a big fat zero EQM's in our banks - but hopefully tons of SWUs and CR1s and E500s...
:p

blueman2 Dec 31, 2007 2:13 pm

Similar issues here. But it is back up now

MarkXS Dec 31, 2007 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by sierranevada (Post 8980003)
I was finally able to log in and my miles and status are back! Tried to call 1P number to confirm a schedule change - first try was a static busy and subsequent tries give me dead air. Maybe the Y2K bug is catching up the .bomb!

Yeah, UA's site feels like it's only about 8 years behind the times! :D

Ah well, it's New Year's Eve in the US. We should be getting ready to party, not worrying about flights!

revigik Dec 31, 2007 3:18 pm

ya, me too for a while, with safari and firefox

ldsant Jan 1, 2008 8:12 pm

Running XP SP2.0 - for one hour (6:11 - 7:11 PM PST) unable for anything to connect. Used ual.com, united.com as the website entries. Every other connection and website is working just fine.

UCBeau Jan 2, 2008 12:17 am

i'll post this again in the hopes that UA can "enhance" their site to better serve the customer:

i would LOVE to be able to book a flight to Helsinki (LH flies this route!!!!) but cannot do so with any kind of normalcy using the multi-city option. how hard is it to tack on an LH flight from MUC or FRA to HEL and back? come on now. ridiculous. if orbitz can do it, UA should too.

SteveBerch Jan 2, 2008 9:38 am

Apologies if this is a basic problem, but I am just browsing for flights at the moment, nothing fixed, but basically when I enter a multi-city itinerary I can't change it, it reverts back to the original itinerary every time even if I have closed the browser and tried again.

I appreciate that this could be something my end.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Corklad Jan 2, 2008 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by SteveBerch (Post 8989199)
Apologies if this is a basic problem, but I am just browsing for flights at the moment, nothing fixed, but basically when I enter a multi-city itinerary I can't change it, it reverts back to the original itinerary every time even if I have closed the browser and tried again.

I appreciate that this could be something my end.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

You'll have to give us a little more information - what city pairs and dates are you trying to use? What type of Browser and version are you using?

SteveBerch Jan 3, 2008 3:28 am

Sorry for being vague in my earlier post.

I am using IE7, as far as city pairs is concerned, it doesn't matter. I can put in any city pair, one way or multi-city run in and it will give me flights details. From there on, I can't change anything. It automatically reverts to the original search paramaters and gives the original search results and not any changes or new search that I might have put in. Its like it has cached the search information and won't let go.

Hope that makes sense.

Steve

u2vox Jan 3, 2008 11:29 am

Dot Bomb is killing me...

Every year I do several multi-city international trips in paid C. The last few, including the one I'm trying to book now, dot bomb has been USELESS, for two reasons: 1) not offering *A flights even when checked; and 2) not provinding accurate pricing information - sometimes in my favor, but most often not.

Here's what I'm trying to do, in expert mode, using search by schedule, and selecting "include star alliance flights" at the bottom. Note that time of day, choice of aircraft, UA vs. LH metal and routing/connections are all relatively important.

PDX-LAX 1/29
LAX-NYC 1/30
NYC-LHR 2/1
LHR-MUC 2/5
MUC-PDX 2/7

After searching, I can get through the NYC-LHR portions fine. But for LHR-MUC, nearly all of the options have me going back to the U.S., connecting via IAD or ORD (even one via SFO!) and some even have me going through DOH (Qatar!). ...? Dot Bomb can't get me from LHR to MUC on one of the 10 or so LH direct flights each day? I have to travel 20+ hours and 10,000+ miles to get there???? The closest they give me - and the only option that even stays within Europe - is on LH from LHR-FRA-NCE-MUC. ... again? It's obviously showing some *A flights, just ridiculous ones. Unbelievable.

Okay, thinking I might be able to find something acceptable with the "by price" option, I select the LHR-FRA-NCE-MUC option just to get me past this portion. I can choose a MUC-PDX option just fine. I hit go, and the price it gives me is $11,500. It also shows many other "Lower price" options at $11,200, with appropriate LHR-MUC segments on LH, but in general not the best routings that I would want if I were to select each flight individually. I select one that is reasonable close just for fun... After an agonizing two minutes of dot bomb apparently "thinking", what happens? The price goes to $10,900. Okay, a little better. But in other situations, I've clicked "Purchase" to find only that the price has gone up $1500. Ugh.

I'm not sure what to do other than call, or perhaps put a "hold" on a "reasonable" schedule and then calll dot bomb support to change to my preferred segments and see what that does to pricing. Obviously, I'm trying to do this on dot bomb so I can rack up some good bonus miles for a $10K+ purchase on my Plat Visa, and also net my 5K bonus EQM immediately in the year. They're not making it very easy to do that...

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be more than welcome! Thanks...

vsevolod4 Jan 4, 2008 12:35 pm

Dot Bomb Confuses Credit Card First Name and YOUR MILEAGEPLUS Name. What a D'oh!!!!!

<This has started happening only recently, after working correctly for years!>

If your full legal name is JAMES DOE, and your MileagePlus name is JAMES DOE, but you have a credit card that says "JIM DOE" or "J DOE" you have a problem.

You log into dot-bomb, it will say "Hello JIM" or "Hello J"

You check your MP name and it says JAMES. Good. That is your legal name and it must match the name on your passport, your driver's license and your ticket.

You book an itinerary, it sneakily puts in JIM (or J) instead of your MP name. Err .. why????

Credit card information

Billing address

Note that the name below is also used as the default passenger name for united.com bookings.
What is the ridiculous logic here?

But wait it gets even worse.

If you correct your name from JIM (or J) to JAMES ... guess what ... it pretends to issue it in that name!!!!

It sends you a ticket confirmation that has ... JAMES DOE.

However it tells you that your name doesn't match your MP number. Err ... why? Well, you bring up the PNR manually and ... the reservation says JIM DOE.

So even when you corrected your name (which it should not have screwed up in the first place), it uncorrects it and reverts it to your credit card name.

Many people use a credit card that is in their wife's or husband's name. Or have an initial instead of a full name on their credit card. Or have a nickname such as JIM on their credit card.

There is absolutely no logical reason why united.bomb has overriden the default that used to be your MILEAGE PLUS name and it is now your CREDIT CARD name.

The only thing you can do is to change your credit card name from JIM (or J) to JAMES and hope that the authorization system doesn't cough.

xeguy Jan 4, 2008 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by u2vox (Post 8996615)
Every year I do several multi-city international trips in paid C. The last few, including the one I'm trying to book now, dot bomb has been USELESS, for two reasons: 1) not offering *A flights even when checked; and 2) not provinding accurate pricing information - sometimes in my favor, but most often not.

Here's what I'm trying to do, in expert mode, using search by schedule, and selecting "include star alliance flights" at the bottom. Note that time of day, choice of aircraft, UA vs. LH metal and routing/connections are all relatively important.

PDX-LAX 1/29
LAX-NYC 1/30
NYC-LHR 2/1
LHR-MUC 2/5
MUC-PDX 2/7

After searching, I can get through the NYC-LHR portions fine. But for LHR-MUC, nearly all of the options have me going back to the U.S., connecting via IAD or ORD (even one via SFO!) and some even have me going through DOH (Qatar!). ...? Dot Bomb can't get me from LHR to MUC on one of the 10 or so LH direct flights each day? I have to travel 20+ hours and 10,000+ miles to get there???? The closest they give me - and the only option that even stays within Europe - is on LH from LHR-FRA-NCE-MUC. ... again? It's obviously showing some *A flights, just ridiculous ones. Unbelievable.
Any thoughts or similar experiences would be more than welcome! Thanks...

I don't know if it's related, but I had booked a trip on their site a few weeks ago w/ the *A option selected. Things seemed to work and my itinerary showed the United flights to FRA and the *A flights the rest of the way there and back. When I went in after the new year to print out another copy the stupid thing now shows a RT from the US to FRA. I called them up and they can apparently still see the entire itinerary, but forgive me for being skeptical when the CSR told me the website can't display the non-United legs. Uh, they were just there a few days ago!

This itin also had to be manually ticketed, which was supposed to happen w/in a day or two. It's now three weeks later and according to the CSR they are still processing it. I have no idea what they are doing and I don't like that I can no longer "see" those flights.

Has this happened to anyone else?

u2vox Jan 4, 2008 6:02 pm

This has happened to me before, with *A flights disappearing from my itineraries view. In my case, this is due to a schedule change in one of the *A flights, which messes up the system and doesn't allow it to show - at least that's been my esxperience. Call and confirm that things are still okay, get the schedule change info if that's what happened, and have them "refresh" or do whatever they have to do to get it to show up - should be viewable online after that. If that's not what happened, I don't have any other insights...

I'm continuing to try to get the itin in my above post to work, and still having the same problems. This only began the last time I did a similar trip, in November. Prior to that, never had issues getting *A flights to show up when searching. Very frustrating...

Originally Posted by xeguy (Post 9005226)
I don't know if it's related, but I had booked a trip on their site a few weeks ago w/ the *A option selected. Things seemed to work and my itinerary showed the United flights to FRA and the *A flights the rest of the way there and back. When I went in after the new year to print out another copy the stupid thing now shows a RT from the US to FRA. I called them up and they can apparently still see the entire itinerary, but forgive me for being skeptical when the CSR told me the website can't display the non-United legs. Uh, they were just there a few days ago!

This itin also had to be manually ticketed, which was supposed to happen w/in a day or two. It's now three weeks later and according to the CSR they are still processing it. I have no idea what they are doing and I don't like that I can no longer "see" those flights.

Has this happened to anyone else?

BWIflyerman Jan 4, 2008 7:51 pm

.bomb refuses miles transfer

Don't know where else to post this, and my "transfer miles" search took me here. Multiple tries on .bomb to transfer 10,000 miles to a GM member results in modest wait for web support (less than 10 minutes after calling the 1K line) that takes me through a 15 minute, broken English, poor connection (India, maybe?) conversation to plug all my information into his side of the system. Finally goes through. Forty minutes down the drain on what should have been a five minute task. Just like normal. Every time I venture to .bomb its either hot or COLD. Tonight the later...:td: