Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can I change Frequent Flyer Numbers in the middle of a trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this...

I took a trip to Europe and back recently with the DEQM offer on United. Because of the fuel dump I still have a one way trip up North that I actually plan to take next week. (I separated the trips by one month)

The issue is I want to top off my USAIR Dividend Miles account with the trip up North and so I want to change my FF# to a USAIR account for mileage.

1. The miles from my Europe trip have already posted to my UAMP account but will changing the FF number for the last leg of my fuel dump trip affect this? They wont backtrack and credit my Europe trip to USAIR will they(and debit my UAMP)?
2. Will it affect my DEQM posting of miles?
3. Or will it be smooth as pie...Europe trip credited to UAMP will stay there, and trip up North will credit to USAir no problems?

What do the wise FlyerTalkers think? Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
As you said, it should be as smooth as pie.

Just ask and agent to change the numbers or try to do it yourself on a chicken at the airport.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:00 pm

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
Yep, I have done this before for exactly the same reason - one leg on UA MP, the other on US DM. Just tell the gate agent that you want to put your US DM number on the itinerary instead, and it should work perfectly fine!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The past trip you took will not be affected. Those miles will stay with UA, and you will earn DEQM on those miles. You can not change the account its posted to after travel.

However, you can change it before travel, even just for the return portion of your ticket. The number change will apply only to the flights you haven't taken yet. In addition to talking to the gate agent, you can also do this with the chicken or using online check in. Just hit the change frequent flyer number option. You will know it is successful when you print out your boarding pass and it indicates your DM # instead of MP.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
You guys are awesome, thanks to everyone for the information!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: AA PRO
still there?

Hey I was doing some searching on the forums, because I want to do something very similar to this during the next couple weeks.

I wanted to ask OP how it worked out for you - were you able to credit different segments to the different airlines? (I am assuming these were all under one PNR, is that right?)

Hope it worked - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by intub8r
... able to credit different segments to the different airlines? ....
yes you can do this. You elite privileges will be determined by the program you are crediting to for the particular flight.

The process for doing this is key -- the change needs to be in place prior to boarding the particular flight.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PRO
Do you mind if I share the details of my grand plan and get your opinion on how you think it'll work out?

As background, I am changing over from US to UA because I now fly quite a lot from Phoenix to New Orleans. There are no nonstops PHX-MSY except on WN (ugh), so I decided to take the much shorter flights on UACO via IAH rather than going to CLT or PHL (!) for double the cost (!!) on US.

I am currently Chairman's on US through 2011 and I am 3,200 EQM away from 1P on UA/CO for the current year.

To continue the long story, I had a mileage run ticket on US earlier this year that I needed to cancel. The money got changed into a rather complex itinerary which is all under one PNR and all on US metal. The itinerary is:

25 June (tomorrow): PHX-CLT-MSY, first class (A fare code)
4 July: MSY-CLT-PHX also in A
9 July: PHX-BOS, in coach N fare
16 July: BOS-PHX in coach N fare

Here is my plan:
1. Credit the first leg of the trip on 25 June to UA. I should get a 150% EQM bonus because of the fare class, which will be about (2400*1.5 = 3600) EQM. That will be enough to kick me over to 1P on UA.

2. However, I want to get an upgrade on the long nonstop flight from PHX-BOS and back. The upgrade window for Chairman's Preferred is 7 days in advance, which is 2 July (prior to segment 2 of my itinerary)

I am willing to throw away the UA EQM's that I would earn on segments 2, 3 and 4 in exchange for a PHX-BOS-PHX upgrade for two reasons... first, it's a long flight and second, I won't be able to make the 75K cutoff for super premier executive (or whatever they are calling it), let alone 1K, for the rest of this year.

3. Therefore, what I am thinking of doing is waiting for the miles from segment 1 to post to UA, probably about 48-72 hours after my flight, but before the 7 day upgrade window on US... once the miles post to UA, I will change my FF number over to my US account and get in line for the upgrade.

4. Hopefully I can do this all online, if not, a phone agent should be able to handle it, correct?

Any insight or similar stories would be greatly welcome!
Thanks y'all - I have learned a lot lurking around FT, appreciate the help of all the frequent posters in the UA and US forums :-)
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by intub8r
Do you mind if I share the details of my grand plan and get your opinion on how you think it'll work out?

As background, I am changing over from US to UA because I now fly quite a lot from Phoenix to New Orleans. There are no nonstops PHX-MSY except on WN (ugh), so I decided to take the much shorter flights on UACO via IAH rather than going to CLT or PHL (!) for double the cost (!!) on US.

I am currently Chairman's on US through 2011 and I am 3,200 EQM away from 1P on UA/CO for the current year.

To continue the long story, I had a mileage run ticket on US earlier this year that I needed to cancel. The money got changed into a rather complex itinerary which is all under one PNR and all on US metal. The itinerary is:

25 June (tomorrow): PHX-CLT-MSY, first class (A fare code)
4 July: MSY-CLT-PHX also in A
9 July: PHX-BOS, in coach N fare
16 July: BOS-PHX in coach N fare

Here is my plan:
1. Credit the first leg of the trip on 25 June to UA. I should get a 150% EQM bonus because of the fare class, which will be about (2400*1.5 = 3600) EQM. That will be enough to kick me over to 1P on UA.

2. However, I want to get an upgrade on the long nonstop flight from PHX-BOS and back. The upgrade window for Chairman's Preferred is 7 days in advance, which is 2 July (prior to segment 2 of my itinerary)

I am willing to throw away the UA EQM's that I would earn on segments 2, 3 and 4 in exchange for a PHX-BOS-PHX upgrade for two reasons... first, it's a long flight and second, I won't be able to make the 75K cutoff for super premier executive (or whatever they are calling it), let alone 1K, for the rest of this year.

3. Therefore, what I am thinking of doing is waiting for the miles from segment 1 to post to UA, probably about 48-72 hours after my flight, but before the 7 day upgrade window on US... once the miles post to UA, I will change my FF number over to my US account and get in line for the upgrade.

4. Hopefully I can do this all online, if not, a phone agent should be able to handle it, correct?

Any insight or similar stories would be greatly welcome!
Thanks y'all - I have learned a lot lurking around FT, appreciate the help of all the frequent posters in the UA and US forums :-)

You have plenty of time in between flights to go into the US PNR and change the crediting FF. But if not, yes, do with a phone agent. If you weren't gunning for an upgrade, I'd have indicated don't put any FF number in...so that you can ask for credit after.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by aacharya
You have plenty of time in between flights to go into the US PNR and change the crediting FF. But if not, yes, do with a phone agent. If you weren't gunning for an upgrade, I'd have indicated don't put any FF number in...so that you can ask for credit after.
My experience is that once your upgrade clears, you can change your frequent flyer information to another airline and you won't lose your seat assignment or upgrade.

Of course, if anything happens to the flight, all bets are off.

I have used this technique to get into seating zone 1 or 2 on United and get free bags. Check in online at .bomb with US Airways number, key in 2 free bags, print off boarding passes with zone 1.

At the chicken or the gate I change the frequent flyer number, but I keep the original seating zone & the free bags. Sometimes the agents are nice and notice that I'm a Star Alliance Silver, and once moved me up to Economy Plus without me even having to ask.

This has only failed once and resulted in a trip MSY-LAX-SAN, CO ticket stock, getting the LAX-SAN mis-credited to US Airways. Sadly, I'm 103 miles short of being a 2P right now and LAX-SAN is 109 miles!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Joshua
My experience is that once your upgrade clears, you can change your frequent flyer information to another airline and you won't lose your seat assignment or upgrade.

Of course, if anything happens to the flight, all bets are off.

I have used this technique to get into seating zone 1 or 2 on United and get free bags. Check in online at .bomb with US Airways number, key in 2 free bags, print off boarding passes with zone 1.

At the chicken or the gate I change the frequent flyer number, but I keep the original seating zone & the free bags. Sometimes the agents are nice and notice that I'm a Star Alliance Silver, and once moved me up to Economy Plus without me even having to ask.

This has only failed once and resulted in a trip MSY-LAX-SAN, CO ticket stock, getting the LAX-SAN mis-credited to US Airways. Sadly, I'm 103 miles short of being a 2P right now and LAX-SAN is 109 miles!
To revive this thread, I have the US PNR LAX-PHL-MAD RT, all legs upgraded with the upgrade certificates. I would like, however, to credit all the flights to UA/CO so I could to ease my run for 1K this year. I am thinking the return would be much easier to do because I can ask the GA to change the FF# once I obtain the BPs, and logically it shouldn't take my upgrades off at least for the MAD-PHL flights. However, if I do it in the outbound, I am not sure what happens to the returns before I even reach the date of return. Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.