Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Priority baggage comes through, but I don't know why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)

Today marked my first UA flight in years - decades - geologic time - as a non-status flyer - and in a middle seat at that. (Okay, okay, United; I get the message; I'll fly more this year.) After years of getting the red PRIORITY stickers on my luggage, and having them ignored domestically, I was pleasantly surprised when my bag was the second one off a full PDX-IAD flight. Then I noticed that it had a PRIORITY sticker. Happy to get priority service, but I can't figure out why, though. Any ideas?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:51 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Even a broken clock is right twice a day; looks like the baggage gods smiled upon you.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
You have no idea how happy I was to see it appear over the horizon (well, over the cowling around the conveyor belt), preceded by only one other bag, rather like the Emperor of Baggage being announced by a loyal retainer.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Law Lord
Today marked my first UA flight in years - decades - geologic time - as a non-status flyer - and in a middle seat at that. (Okay, okay, United; I get the message; I'll fly more this year.) After years of getting the red PRIORITY stickers on my luggage, and having them ignored domestically, I was pleasantly surprised when my bag was the second one off a full PDX-IAD flight. Then I noticed that it had a PRIORITY sticker. Happy to get priority service, but I can't figure out why, though. Any ideas?
No chance your a MM?

How about the fare class? Any chance something higher (Y, B etc)?

Also, was it an orange *A priority sticker? Or the one they do for re-routed/special handling bags (I seem to recall thats blue, but I could be wrong)?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Law Lord
Based on my experience, I'd say that the facts your bag came off early and it had a priority sticker on it were unrelated.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Mark_K
Based on my experience, I'd say that the facts your bag came off early and it had a priority sticker on it were unrelated.
Based on my recent experiences, I'd have to disagree with you. I have been having much greater success at getting my bags earlier in the reclaim process of late. A few days ago, even LAX (domestic) worked wonders, with my bag about the 4th one on the carousel. ^
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:39 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Based on my recent experiences, I'd have to disagree with you. I have been having much greater success at getting my bags earlier in the reclaim process of late. A few days ago, even LAX (domestic) worked wonders, with my bag about the 4th one on the carousel. ^
Agreed, priority tags have been well recognized for me, even domestically, over the past couple of years. I can't say why the OP would have gotten one, though.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I remember what it was like to be a non status passenger, and how little things like this could make up for a bad experience. Glad that somebody was watching out for you ^
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm definitely not a MM, just a GM this year with no status. The only special thing about this flight is that I paid a few bucks extra to sit in E+ instead of in Full Steerage, but I didn't think that E+ got the red stickers. Today's flight was a single non-stop flight, without connections, so I didn't have an F flight later in the day, or any other reason that I can think of to merit a priority sticker -- let alone have it work so effectively.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
As a 2P, I realize I don't qualify for the priority tags unless my UGU clears before I check in. However, I have made friends with one of the friendly check-in agents at the ORD priority counter. When I see her on Monday mornings, she always sticks a priority tag to my claim tag. She doesn't have to, but she does.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
As a 2P, I realize I don't qualify for the priority tags unless my UGU clears before I check in. However, I have made friends with one of the friendly check-in agents at the ORD priority counter. When I see her on Monday mornings, she always sticks a priority tag to my claim tag. She doesn't have to, but she does.
As a 2P, I always get the orange tags. I'm not sure what official policy is on this one.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by ssb2045
As a 2P, I always get the orange tags. I'm not sure what official policy is on this one.
The official policy is if you have a P on your bag tag, you're entitled to one. 2P equiv on CO gets it, 2P on UA shouldn't.

I was talking to an agent at ASE who said they get equally in trouble for putting one on that shouldn't have it (orange tag w/ no P), and forgetting the orange tag.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I have to add that the tags almost always get my bags up quickly. I would say one time out of ten they are not among the first dozen bags. And yes, I know - REAL flyers do not check bags!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:23 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Did you check in near the cutoff? Sometimes we affix Priority tags if the bag is right at check in cutoff, or if there's a tight connection, to try and help the bag make it.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

PWM, good thought, but no - I checked my bag in curbside, with half an hour or more before boarding and an hour before takeoff. In response to 323power, I looked at my bag to see if it still had an old 2P or 1P tag, but it didn't - just my hotel loyalty tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.