Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UX 5718: My Nomination for Worst Flight in UA/UX Universe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin

Please note the info from FlightStats.com below.

I have had the ignominious opportunity to experience this flight twice in the last month: June 15 - 170 minutes late; July 13 - 106 minutes late. The June 15 flight was first late due to the crew not showing up on time; then a weather system hit an hour after scheduled departure as we were taxiing from the gate at ORD. Sat on the tarmac for two hours. The July 13 delay was the result of MX - the gate was changed no less than three times, and the scheduled departure changed at least a half dozen times - even though the plane was in the air from CAE the entire time. Ludicrously, scheduled departure was actually moved up at one point - prompting me to leave the RCC and head for the gate only to find, halfway there, the departure time was moved back more than an hour.

Historical On-time Performance Ratings
Route: Chicago to Allentown
Date Range: May 01, 2010 to June 30, 2010
Flight: (XE) Expressjet 5718
Departure Airport: (ORD) O'Hare International Airport
Departure City: Chicago, IL, US
Arrival Airport: (ABE) Lehigh Valley International Airport
Arrival City: Allentown, PA, US
On-time Performance Scorecard
On-time Performance Rating Details
Overall Rating

0 of 5
Very Poor On-time: 61%
Avg. Delay: 66 min
FlightStats Rating is a merit measurement considering both on-time performance and delay severity. The score, 0, shows that this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of all other flights in the FlightStats database.

On-time Performance

0.0 of 5
This flight has an on-time performance of 61%. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.

Delay Performance

0.0 of 5
Very Poor Avg. Delay: 66 min
This flight has an average delay of 66.0 minutes with a standard deviation of 71.99 minutes. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, standard deviation, and mean, this flight has delay performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:28 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by HonestABE
Please note the info from FlightStats.com below.

I have had the ignominious opportunity to experience this flight twice in the last month: June 15 - 170 minutes late; July 13 - 106 minutes late. The June 15 flight was first late due to the crew not showing up on time; then a weather system hit an hour after scheduled departure as we were taxiing from the gate at ORD. Sat on the tarmac for two hours. The July 13 delay was the result of MX - the gate was changed no less than three times, and the scheduled departure changed at least a half dozen times - even though the plane was in the air from CAE the entire time. Ludicrously, scheduled departure was actually moved up at one point - prompting me to leave the RCC and head for the gate only to find, halfway there, the departure time was moved back more than an hour.

On-time Performance Scorecard
On-time Performance Rating Details
Overall Rating

0 of 5
Avg. Delay: 66 min
FlightStats Rating is a merit measurement considering both on-time performance and delay severity. The score, 0, shows that this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of all other flights in the FlightStats database.

On-time Performance

0.0 of 5
This flight has an on-time performance of 61%. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.

Delay Performance

0.0 of 5
Very Poor Avg. Delay: 66 min
This flight has an average delay of 66.0 minutes with a standard deviation of 71.99 minutes. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, standard deviation, and mean, this flight has delay performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.
With that standard deviation, you could say almost anything about the performance of the flight, except that it is consistent (or that there are enough data points to draw any meaningful conclusion.)
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
You can cherry pick stats from FlightStats all day long... how about UA207?

Overall Rating
0.1 of 5
Very Poor On-time:
Avg. Delay: 0%>
125 min
FlightStats Rating is a merit measurement considering both on-time performance and delay severity. The score, 0.1, shows that this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of all other flights in the FlightStats database.

On-time Performance
0.1 of 5
Very Poor On-time: 0%
This flight has an on-time performance of 0%. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 2% of other flights.

Delay Performance
0.0 of 5
Very Poor Avg. Delay: 125 min
This flight has an average delay of 125.0 minutes with a standard deviation of 0 minutes. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, standard deviation, and mean, this flight has delay performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
This flight has an average delay of 125.0 minutes with a standard deviation of 0 minutes.
This indicates to me that either the data are bad, the site is bogus, or there is only one sample in its database. I doubt the flight could be delayed exactly 125 minutes every time.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
What is the route? My least favorite United Express route is DEN-DTW... It's over 1000 miles in a CRJ-200!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by HonestABE
I don't think the on-time issue is a problem with this flight.

The flight terminates in ABE and the aircraft RON's in ABE for the night.

There are no on-going connections out of ABE.

Think about it this way, your flight into ORD can be late and you'll still make your connection to ABE!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
What is the route? My least favorite United Express route is DEN-DTW... It's over 1000 miles in a CRJ-200!
Must have been a hiccup... DEN-DTW is on a CR7
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This indicates to me that either the data are bad, the site is bogus, or there is only one sample in its database. I doubt the flight could be delayed exactly 125 minutes every time.
one sample... just wanted to point out that the OP could do some searching to find some really bad flights
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: DAL-PM
Just to let you know, the crew did not just "show up late". They were probably on another flight that was late inbound or were late inbound the nite before and had to have their required rest period. You made it sound like they just did not feel like coming to work that day, which is often what the gate agents in ORD like to make it seem like, but is rarely if ever the case.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
You can cherry pick stats from FlightStats all day long... how about UA207?

Overall Rating
0.1 of 5
Very Poor On-time:
Avg. Delay: 0%>
125 min
FlightStats Rating is a merit measurement considering both on-time performance and delay severity. The score, 0.1, shows that this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of all other flights in the FlightStats database.

On-time Performance
0.1 of 5
Very Poor On-time: 0%
This flight has an on-time performance of 0%. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 2% of other flights.

Delay Performance
0.0 of 5
Very Poor Avg. Delay: 125 min
This flight has an average delay of 125.0 minutes with a standard deviation of 0 minutes. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, standard deviation, and mean, this flight has delay performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.
I think this is misleading data from FlightStats. Maybe they're confused by the irregular schedule?

UAL207 operates ORD-SMF once a week at 9:05am and ORD-LGA once a week at 8:30pm. They've been on-time (within 15 minutes) or just a little late recently.

Last edited by mduell; Jul 15, 2010 at 12:12 pm
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by warreng24
I don't think the on-time issue is a problem with this flight.

The flight terminates in ABE and the aircraft RON's in ABE for the night.

There are no on-going connections out of ABE.

Think about it this way, your flight into ORD can be late and you'll still make your connection to ABE!
Unless the crew is going to go "illegal", in which case they will easily leave without any PAX to take.

This happened to me with an IAD-SCE flight. I ran into 2/3rds of the PAX on that flight in the National Rental car line.

This was Atlantic Coast Airways (now thankfully gone!).
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Ua7269 iad-atl

UA7269 IAD-ATL (this flight returns to IAD same day with same flight number)

There was one point that this flight was cancelled / the next day 3+hour delay / the day after cancelled.

Overall Rating

0 of 5
Very Poor On-time:
Avg. Delay: 55%>
58 min

On-time Performance

0.0 of 5
Very Poor On-time: 55%
This flight has an on-time performance of 55%. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, this flight has on-time performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.

Delay Performance

0.0 of 5
Very Poor Avg. Delay: 58 min
This flight has an average delay of 58.0 minutes with a standard deviation of 48.9 minutes. Statistically, when controlling for sample size, standard deviation, and mean, this flight has delay performance characteristics better than 0% of other flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.