Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Participating in Frequent Visitor's e-Channel facilities at HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Found this on .bomb when looking at my mileage summary.

Enroll to use the Frequent Visitor's e-Channel facilities at Hong Kong International Airport
Mileage PlusŪ elite members who are at least 18 years old will be able to use the Frequent Visitors (FV) e-Channel facilities to speed their travel through the Hong Kong International Airport. You need only enroll once at the enrollment office in the Arrival Hall at Hong Kong International Airport . Then every time you travel through Hong Kong International airport, you can use the FV e-Channel facilities to present your documentation for both arrival and departure immigration clearance. Learn more
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You don't have to be a MP member. Anyone who has three arrivals in the last year can sign up. It's hugely convenient - scan a barcode stuck on your passport, fingerprint scan, and you are through.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Originally Posted by mibbj
You don't have to be a MP member. Anyone who has three arrivals in the last year can sign up. It's hugely convenient - scan a barcode stuck on your passport, fingerprint scan, and you are through.
Well, not much related to UA but I would like to share the info. (Mod, please feel free to move my post to wherever appropriate)

I think there are 2 "fast tracks". One is called Frequent Visitor Card, and the other is e-Channel.

You need to have 3 arrivals in the past 12 months to qualify for the card, and then 6 arrivals within next 24 months to get it renewed (the card expires in 2 years). The card entitles you to bypass the long line. Your documents are still manually checked. This was originally designed for foreign passport holders for them getting into HK by air.

e-Channel relies on matching your finger prints with your travel documents (ID or passport). You will go through a special machine and the process is a kind of self service. This was originally designed for HK locals going in and out of HK via land transportation. Now it opens to foreign passport holders meet certain criteria (such as UA elite).

I have the card for about 2 years so far and found it is very useful. Usually it saves me at least 20 to 30 minutes going through the immigration/passport control. A few months ago, I was invited to sign up for e-Channel at HKG, but was told I can use the airport e-Channel only, not for going in or out of HK through other land check points (to or from the Mainland China). Didn't accept as I don't feel the e-channel will add much additional benefit – unless I am allowed to go through e-Channels at all ports.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:24 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Assume one hasn't been to HKG in a while, but expects to start going again. What level of MP qualifies? Premier? PremEx? 1K?
Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The link comes up with:

Sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:11 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
The link is just the HK Government link, which has generic information. I was on the line to UA, but the wait time was too long, so I thought I'd ask here.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:28 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
I was able to register as a 1P in January '10. Be sure to do it before you clear inbound immigration.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:15 pm

I just signed up for the e-channel with a MP card (any elite will do) in early March. I only have one entry stamp to Hong Kong prior to that. The enrollment process is painless: after the long arrival hallway, walk towards immigration counters, but do not get in line, instead turn right. The E-channel enrollment office is on the far side after the last immigration counter. There is a sign posted "E-channel enrollment". The officer will examine your passport and MP card. Then take a photo of you and scan your index fingerprints.

Wait five minutes to allow the data uploading to the system.

I used it on the machine and there was no line. I was out of the immigration area in less than 30 seconds. Don't forget to take the little sticker that you need to paste in your passport. Departure is similarly fast.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
So I gather

the multiple arrivals/departures specified in the OP e-mail to/from HKG at NOT required?
We manage a trip to Sai Kung far less often than I'd wish, perhaps only once a year, but don't particularly fancy spending any more time in processing queues than is strictly necessary, will take any advantage offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.