Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase/United "mileage plus explorer" card? What is it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I was recently taking an online survey and it asked me if I heard of this card. What is it?

P.S. Anyone else get this survey from having the continental onepass card? What were they asking?

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3732/cards2u.png
Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:56 am

Interesting... I don't think I've ever seen this card before. And from the looks of it, it might be an upcoming UA card given the new logo is used.

It looks a good deal like the OnePass Plus Card, just in a different color.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Very interesting. That does look like it may be the new OnePass Plus.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:11 am

They are keeping the "mileage plus" name?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
That the card was in blue made me think that it might be the new version of the Continental Presidential Plus card, although most of the CO cards are Mastercards and UA's are Visa.

Hopefully, if this is the new high-end card, it is based on the CO PPlus card and not the UA Milage Plus Club card because the PPlus card has many more and far superior benefits. (And as a PPlus card holder, I really like my card and want it to keep it as is.)

Last edited by GSBEWR; Jun 9, 2011 at 10:23 pm
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Great find OP!

Also, note that the new card is Visa Signature instead of MasterCard. ^
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by GSBEWR
That the card was in blue made me think that it might be the new version of the Continental Presidential Plus card, although most of the CO cards are Mastercards and UA's are Visa.

Hopefully, if this is the new high-end card, it is based on the CO PPlus card and not the UA Milage Plus Club card because the PPlus card has many more and far superior benefits. (And as a PPlus card holder, I really like my card and want it to keep it as is.)
Well doesn't the MP Club card offer a signup mileage bonus that the PPlus card doesn't?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:24 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Well doesn't the MP Club card offer a signup mileage bonus that the PPlus card doesn't?
Yes, you get a sign-up bonus with the MP Club and none with PPlus.

But in the long-term, the PPlus card is far superior because you get double miles on all hotels and car rentals, two free checked bags (now on UA as well as CO), Elite Access for us non-Elites.

Like the PPlus, MP Club gives you double miles on UA and CO flights (but the $95/year UA Select card gives you triple miles on UA (don't know about CO) and double on *A), but that's it. The only feature MP Club beats PPlus is 10K EQMs for every $35K, while PPlus give 1K for every $5K.

I'll take my PPlus any day of the week over MP Club.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But in the long-term, the PPlus card is far superior because you get double miles on all hotels and car rentals, two free checked bags (now on UA as well as CO), Elite Access for us non-Elites.

Like the PPlus, MP Club gives you double miles on UA and CO flights (but the $95/year UA Select card gives you triple miles on UA (don't know about CO) and double on *A), but that's it. The only feature MP Club beats PPlus is 10K EQMs for every $35K, while PPlus give 1K for every $5K.

I saw some weird things when it came to the UA cards. I got a "special" offer to apply for the Signature card and get 50K bonus miles. That card cost $60. The $95 card offered triple miles for UA purchases, but only 30K bonus miles, and the Club card, with a significantly higher annual cost only offered double miles for UA purchases.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
True, but you can always sign up for a "lesser" card, get the bonus miles, and then upgrade your card.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, CO Gold

Me too!

The PPlus card rocks and beats the MP Club Card across the board in terms of rewards and benefits even though there is no sign up bonus. One of my favorite benefits is the 25% bonus miles on Continental flights (in addition to the regular elite and COS bonuses). And, by the way, the PPlus allows unlimited accumulation of bonus EQMs as a function of total spend whereas the MP Club limits bonus EQMs to a maximum of 10,000 per year

I really hope this card and all its benefits survive the United/Continental merger. Chase and Continental invested huge resources in making this card so great and a serious competitor to the AMEX Platinum Card. It would be a shame if it went away or got diluted.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only feature MP Club beats PPlus is 10K EQMs for every $35K, while PPlus give 1K for every $5K.
(Bolding mine)

Not true. You get a MAXIMUM of 10K EQMs. So for those spending $35K, then that's an advantage of the MP Club card over the PPlus card, of 10K EQMs as opposed to 7K EQMs. But once you spend at least $55K, it's better to have the PPlus card as you still get 1K EQMs/$5K spent.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
(Bolding mine)

Not true. You get a MAXIMUM of 10K EQMs. So for those spending $35K, then that's an advantage of the MP Club card over the PPlus card, of 10K EQMs as opposed to 7K EQMs. But once you spend at least $55K, it's better to have the PPlus card as you still get 1K EQMs/$5K spent.
not quite correct

On the Club card you get 5K EQM for $35K spending

Spend $35,000/year and earn 5,000 EQM. After you spend $35,000, earn 1 EQM per $10 you spend, for a maximum of 10,000 EQM/year
Old Jun 15, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not quite correct

On the Club card you get 5K EQM for $35K spending
Then even more of a reason the PPlus card is better
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:35 pm

I did a similar survey thru e-Rewards. It was a survey of a new print ad campaign with different taglines & graphics. I didn't see any annual fee or other T&Cs, but (prominent) card features include:
1. first checked bag free
2. priority boarding
3. "United Club" admission
4. 40000 MP miles on first use
5. issued by Chase
Sounds like a merger of the UA & CO cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.