FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Complaint - would love some feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2150147-united-complaint-would-love-some-feedback.html)

AJNEDC Feb 2, 2024 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by brooks8970 (Post 35965239)
Hi all - I had an issue with a United flight from LIR -> IAH -> SLC over thanksgiving and I am getting shut down by united customer care. I'd like to hear if I am wasting my time with this, or if I am missing something.

Our flight was delayed for mechanical reasons from costa rica LIR -> IAH, and we missed our connection, two parents and a 6 y/o. We spent 3 hours at the customer desk with United trying to get us on a Delta flight the next morning but they were having a lot of trouble booking it. The United flights were all sold out as it was thanksgiving Sunday. The woman remarked she was supposed to have left her shift 15 minutes ago and wasn't getting paid for overtime, and suddenly she had fixed the issue, handed us 3 tickets on Delta and we left headed to a united sponsored hotel for the night. The whole experience seemed a little odd and I was unable to check in for my flight online, so I called Delta and they told me the tickets were not properly confirmed and had been voided. So I get on the phone with United for another 2 hours and they are unable to accomodate us, like at all. It's 2 am now. I tell a supervisor that I am going to have to book flights home directly and will request reimbursement, hang up the phone. I ended up finding 3 southwest flights out of Hobby airport. We take an uber the next morning to hobby and get home. The tickets cost ~1600 since they are last minute and United has been completely unwilling to refund the money I spent getting home. They have given us $200 each in flight vouchers ($600), 12,500 miles apiece, and they refunded the miles from the IAH->SLC portion of our trip (it was a very pricey award ticket). I am not happy because I just want my tickets paid for. Am I wasting my time here, or is there another avenue besides filing an online complaint and talking to cust service reps on the phone.

So you purchased tickets on UA to get you home and they did not deliver. You then ended up purchasing tickets on Southwest because UA did not deliver. You have the option of calling your credit card company and charging back the UA payment as they did not deliver what you paid them to deliver. It may be less than what you paid Southwest and the associated overnight costs, but you would at least get something back. Use the reason of service not provided and provide your credit card company with all the relevant documentation and explanation.
Good luck

jsloan Feb 2, 2024 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by brooks8970 (Post 35965622)
​​​​The airline industry is a monopoly in America

It's interesting, then, that you were able to purchase a flight to return home on a competitor -- those things monopolies don't have. Also, you were flying internationally -- you could have flown with any number of carriers.

Incidentally, if you purchased the ticket from United.com, they offered to sell you travel insurance during the purchase process. You declined.

Originally Posted by JAXPax (Post 35965627)
Don't confuse UA "could not purchase that space for you" with "UA will not purchase that space for you." Several airlines in this country without FIM agreements, such as one where I worked, whipped out a credit card, went to southwest.com and clicked BUY. Or have something like an Orbitz for Business portal to do so, ensuring that it complies with certain limits (like not buying a First seat just because it's all that's left on a DL flight). United has chosen to limit its OA rebooking options.

Sure, UA could have done that, and I personally saw a B6 rep purchase a couple of F seats on the SEA-EWR red-eye to replace their SEA-JFK Mint seats. I'm not sure which was worse -- losing the lie-flat seat or ending up in New Jersey. ;). But nationwide, that's the exception, rather than the rule.

Originally Posted by AJNEDC (Post 35965653)
So you purchased tickets on UA to get you home and they did not deliver. You then ended up purchasing tickets on Southwest because UA did not deliver. You have the option of calling your credit card company and charging back the UA payment as they did not deliver what you paid them to deliver. It may be less than what you paid Southwest and the associated overnight costs, but you would at least get something back. Use the reason of service not provided and provide your credit card company with all the relevant documentation and explanation.
Good luck

There's no need to initiate a chargeback. UA will issue a refund, if they haven't already, for the unused portion of the ticket. You're certainly not going to get the entire amount back via a chargeback -- just the same amount UA would refund anyway.

AJNEDC Feb 2, 2024 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35965654)
It's interesting, then, that you were able to purchase a flight to return home on a competitor -- those things monopolies don't have. Also, you were flying internationally -- you could have flown with any number of carriers.

Incidentally, if you purchased the ticket from United.com, they offered to sell you travel insurance during the purchase process. You declined.

Sure, UA could have done that, and I personally saw a B6 rep purchase a couple of F seats on the SEA-EWR red-eye to replace their SEA-JFK Mint seats. I'm not sure which was worse -- losing the lie-flat seat or ending up in New Jersey. ;). But nationwide, that's the exception, rather than the rule.

There's no need to initiate a chargeback. UA will issue a refund, if they haven't already, for the unused portion of the ticket. You're certainly not going to get the entire amount back via a chargeback -- just the same amount UA would refund anyway.

There is absolutely a need to initiate a chargeback: The OP get's the credit for what he's charging back immediately or within days depending on his card company. United gets the opportunity to provide employment to someone to work the chargeback case. The employee working the case gets a paycheck. A win all around.

brooks8970 Feb 2, 2024 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35965654)

United and Continental had to hire dozens of lobbyists in order to force that merger to go through because of monopolistic conditions in the airline industry. Jetblue was recently rejected from merging with Spirit for the same reason. I am under no obligation to purchase overpriced travel insurance from an airline in order to cover it's ... when it doesn't deliver on customer obligations.

I spent 5 hours of my time with united representatives attempting to get a new ticket issued. Please show me where in the contract of carriage it tells me the amount of time required for a UA rep to book an alternative flight. This is the key legal issue here and one that would be decided by a judge.

jsloan Feb 2, 2024 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by AJNEDC (Post 35965661)
There is absolutely a need to initiate a chargeback: The OP get's the credit for what he's charging back immediately or within days depending on his card company. United gets the opportunity to provide employment to someone to work the chargeback case. The employee working the case gets a paycheck. A win all around.

The folks in the UA refund department need jobs too. :)

Originally Posted by brooks8970 (Post 35965666)
I am under no obligation to purchase overpriced travel insurance from an airline in order to cover its ... when it doesn't deliver on customer obligations.

Their customer obligations are to get you to where you want to go or to refund your money. That's what's in the contract that you agreed to. You attempted to dictate a new contract by making a statement and hanging up the phone, apparently before the rep could tell you no.

Please show me where in the contract of carriage it tells me the amount of time required for a UA rep to book an alternative flight.

Apparently it's at least five hours and one minute. Or you could have waited for the next available seat on UA. That could have been set up in five minutes, but you chose not to do that.

Lux Flyer Feb 2, 2024 8:43 pm

I am under no obligation to purchase overpriced travel insurance from an airline in order to cover it's ... when it doesn't deliver on customer obligations.

I spent 5 hours of my time with united representatives attempting to get a new ticket issued. Please show me where in the contract of carriage it tells me the amount of time required for a UA rep to book an alternative flight. This is the key legal issue here and one that would be decided by a judge.

In that case, make sure you are familiar with the airline's obligations, which someone has posted previously for you. Because that is what a judge will decide your case on, what you actually agreed to from the airline, not an arbitrary time spent argument that as you note, is not in the contract of carriage. I would note specifically the terms "At UA's sole discretion" with regard to rebooking another airline, and your option for a refund. But feel free to come back and give us an update as to how your small claims case goes.

1. Delay, Misconnection or Cancellation
    1. When a Passenger’s ticket is affected because of Irregular Operations caused by UA, UA will take the following measures:
      1. Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger; or
      2. At its sole discretion, UA may arrange for the passenger to travel on another carrier. United may also, at its sole discretion, and if acceptable to the passenger, arrange for the passenger to travel via ground transportation.
    2. In the event a Passenger misses an onward connecting flight on which space is reserved because the Delivering Carrier did not operate its flight due to Irregular Operations or a Schedule Change, the Delivering Carrier is responsible to arrange for carriage of the Passenger or to make a refund.
  2. If a Passenger is not transported as provided in E) 2) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request. See Rule 27 A).

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35965667)
The folks in the UA refund department need jobs too. :)

Some might even say they're the same employees handling chargebacks and refund requests :) Except one route has the potential to make booking your airfare more difficult in the future.

mahasamatman Feb 2, 2024 8:45 pm

Please show me where in the contract of carriage it tells me the amount of time required for a UA rep to book an alternative flight.

United has no obligation to find an alternate flight. They wil generally do what they can, but they can also simply refund. It's entirely at their discretion as stated in the Contract of Carriage.

rjburns Feb 2, 2024 9:00 pm

I’ve had good success in Small Claims. The process is easy and cheap. United has to send someone to court. Hopefully, you can find a small town with friendly judges somewhere incredibly inconvenient for United to get to. Not much to lose except a filing fee and some service costs. Get a Monday morning court date so the United lawyer has to burn his Sunday traveling.

United screwed you. They know it. They can make the issue go away for $1,600.

brooks8970 Feb 2, 2024 9:02 pm

Does anyone know... If I do go the small claims route, do I risk United suspending or terminating my mileage plus account?

Another data point for those interested. When our flight arrived at IAH, there were dozens of customers in the same situation with connections all over the country. United let us know that they were holding flights for certain connections (not ours). We were still hopeful we would make our flight as we had about 20 minutes. We are global entry customers so we knew we could speed through immigration. However, when we arrived at immigration, a United rep had commandeered the global entry line for non-paying customers to get through immigration in order to get to UA customers to the held flights which resulted in a 20 minute wait. This sealed the deal on our missed connection.

jsloan Feb 2, 2024 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by brooks8970 (Post 35965702)
Does anyone know... If I do go the small claims route, do I risk United suspending or terminating my mileage plus account?

They would be within their rights to do so under rule 2, via the "conduct detrimental to the interests of United" clause, but I haven't heard of that happening in any similar cases and don't think it's a real risk. (Also, if they were to take that action, would you really want to do business with them again?)

brooks8970 Feb 2, 2024 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35965667)
Apparently it's at least five hours and one minute. Or you could have waited for the next available seat on UA. That could have been set up in five minutes, but you chose not to do that.

That's just not accurate. I have flown a lot.. obviously, not as much as the people on this thread, but enough to know the basic ropes. I was never given the option of a refund. I did receive one after my complaint. The only other option I was given was the automated booking after the connection was missed: to have my special needs 6 y/o daughter fly alone via ORD to SLC and me and my wife to fly on an alternate itinerary via SFO to SLC. I didn't even have to say no. The UA agent immediately realized they had screwed up. We were flying on two separate confirmation codes that had been linked by a UA rep. For whatever reason, the system unjoined the reservations in order to make that automated itinerary. This is Thanksgiving Sunday. Flights were booked solid. I have been in this situation before, and there are always options. There weren't in this case.. I spent 5 hours working with the UA reps to figure something out. At some point, you have to give up.

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35965722)
They would be within their rights to do so under rule 2, via the "conduct detrimental to the interests of United" clause, but I haven't heard of that happening in any similar cases and don't think it's a real risk. (Also, if they were to take that action, would you really want to do business with them again?)

Thank you. I appreciate that information. I have a lot of UA miles from years ago, and they are worth more than the $1600

WineCountryUA Feb 2, 2024 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by brooks8970 (Post 35965728)
....We were flying on two separate confirmation codes that had been linked by a UA rep. For whatever reason, the system unjoined the reservations in order to make that automated itinerary. ....

I wish agents would not say they have linked reservations -- they have no such ability, they just say that because travelers ask for it. It does not exist. They can place a note in a PNR about another PNR but the rebooking systems do not see that and an agent will see it only if they go looking for it.

jsloan Feb 2, 2024 9:37 pm

I was never given the option of a refund.

You had the option of a refund. All you had to do was ask. An airport rep is rarely going to offer a refund because it tends to be the last thing people want.

We were flying on two separate confirmation codes that had been linked by a UA rep. For whatever reason, the system unjoined the reservations in order to make that automated itinerary.

Separate reservations cannot be joined in any meaningful way. Linking the reservations is done by adding a note manually to the end of the reservation notes, where it may (or may not) be read by a representative. The automated system doesn't see the notes and didn't know to try to keep you together. But I stand by my statement -- it still likely would have been five minutes to get onto the next UA flight that had 3 available seats -- the only problem would come if someone else were also trying to get those seats at the same time, which does sometimes happen during IRROPS. The issue, of course, was that the next UA flight with three seats might have been Monday or Tuesday.

I spent 5 hours working with the UA reps to figure something out. At some point, you have to give up.

I don't blame you for giving up and deciding to handle things yourself. I've done similar things in the past. I have not, however, ever tried to get the airline to reimburse me for my decisions.

Originally Posted by brooks8970 (Post 35965734)
Thank you. I appreciate that information. I have a lot of UA miles from years ago, and they are worth more than the $1600

No problem. I don't agree with your position, but that's no reason not to be helpful. :)

mduell Feb 2, 2024 9:45 pm

self-help = self-pay

This is what travel insurance is for.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 2, 2024 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by brooks8970 (Post 35965622)
The airline industry is a monopoly in America and consumers do not have the consumer choice required to decide what giant corporations put or do not put in their terms.

Injuries to parties can occur regardless of the fine print, as occurred in this case.

United didn't perform their part of the contract. Per the contract, United's required to refund you (and you find your own way back) home or United will book you alternate flights. That's all - it's in the CoC. Complaining about the industry being a monopoly after agreeing to the CoC and buying a ticket from them won't go far in court.

If you bought full-fare tickets, the refund would probably have gotten you home. Since you purchased discount tickets, the flexibility diminishes, That's a risk we take when we buy cheap tickets. There's also trip insurance that is available that might have helped if trip hiccups might cause a meaningful hit to your budget.