FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA "TravelBank" Q&A {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2149193-ua-travelbank-q-archive.html)

sarpotd Jan 13, 2020 10:43 am

UA "TravelBank" Q&A {Archive}

I had bought a ticket on the United website using my travel bank funds and then changed my mind and canceled it within 24 hours. This was on Dec/21/2019 and the funds have not been returned yet to the travel bank as of today.

As part of the same trip, I had also separately paid for, and then subsequently canceled within 24 hours, tickets on Alaska airlines using my credit card. These funds were refunded to my card within 2 days.

United just takes too long to refund the money even when the trip was canceled within 24 hours. This is not the first time. United has taken a long time in other previous instances as well. So what is a reasonable time to give them? I have chatted with them twice and both times they said to expect the funds in 7 business days.

edit: Also the trip was more than a month out. So there is no issue of close ticketing/cancellation.

daKav Jan 13, 2020 10:52 am

In my experience, the authorization never even posted to the account with UA when canceled within 24 hours. Might have to do something with the time of the day I booked and when UA systems capture the auth.

There was an instance with AA, I think that I had to call and request a refund. You may wanna call UA and check.

jsloan Jan 13, 2020 10:52 am

Originally Posted by sarpotd (Post 31944997)
United just takes too long to refund the money even when the trip was canceled within 24 hours. This is not the first time. United has taken a long time in other previous instances as well. So what is a reasonable time to give them? I have chatted with them twice and both times they said to expect the funds in 7 business days.

You've given them plenty of time. File a DOT complaint. It only takes a few minutes.

Sykes Jan 13, 2020 11:00 am

The DOT requires carriers to process credit card refunds within 7 business days of the cancellation, so I'd give them that plus a bit of buffer to give your card issuer time to process it.

Regardless, they've had plenty of time by now.

jsloan Jan 13, 2020 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Sykes (Post 31945081)
The DOT requires carriers to process credit card refunds within 7 business days of the cancellation, so I'd give them that plus a bit of buffer to give your card issuer time to process it.

OP is asking about a TravelBank reservation; I'm not sure if there's a specific DOT timeframe for refunds to internal forms of payment, but, honestly, how long can it take? This is just UA not caring.

Sykes Jan 13, 2020 11:05 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31945092)
OP is asking about a TravelBank reservation; I'm not sure if there's a specific DOT timeframe for refunds to internal forms of payment, but, honestly, how long can it take? This is just UA not caring.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it falls under the same rule. It's basically divided between electronic and cash/check payment types.

WineCountryUA Jan 13, 2020 11:17 am

Travel Bank refunds have had issues in the past and with the changes in TravelBank operation, it appears UA is seeing the Travel Bank is more of a problem than a benefit.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...pr-2019-a.html

You might try the "backdoor" [email protected] email account (if still active) that resolved many TravelBank crediting issues in the past.

Or file a formal refunds request

The DOT complaint is another avenue.

jhayes_1780 Jan 13, 2020 11:45 am

Does the ticket still show in your active itineraries?

sarpotd Jan 13, 2020 12:06 pm

No. The ticket/itinerary does not show in 'my trips'. I got the cancellation email, which I have saved when I canceled the ticket.

I think I will file the complaint. I think someone higher up needs to take responsibility and fix it going forward.

Thank you all.

Kacee Jan 13, 2020 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by sarpotd (Post 31945386)
I think I will file the complaint. I think someone higher up needs to take responsibility and fix it going forward.

After cleaning up its act, UA has gotten lax with refund processing again. There may be another DOT fine in its future.

jhayes_1780 Jan 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by sarpotd (Post 31945386)

If it was me: I would give UA one more shot, but include the DoT threat, and specify that it was cancelled on the 21st. If not resolved by next weekend, send to the DoT complaint pile.

sarpotd Jan 13, 2020 12:36 pm

So I looked at the cancellation email again and here is what it says:

"Your reservation, XXXXX, was canceled and we have received your request for a refund. If you are requesting a credit card refund, please allow seven business days for processing. If your credit card refund is not posted within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company. For all other forms of payment, including cash refunds, please allow 20 business days for processing.

Assuming travel bank comes under the cash refund clause I will give it another week to account for the end of the year holidays/weekends etc.

fumje Jan 13, 2020 12:43 pm

When more than a week has elapsed and my expected refund hasn't showed up, I find it easiest to just submit for a refund here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/customer/refund (just give the reservation details and say your refund hasn't been processed). Only once did I ever have to follow up further.

I haven't been tracking to gauge if there is some systematic problem, though.

schnitzer Jan 13, 2020 2:58 pm

I noticed tickets refunds involving travel bank are automatic. but it goes in a queue for manual processing.
It takes approx 7 days. If you split a payment with Credit Card, it will be tied up and refunded together.

sarpotd Jan 17, 2020 10:01 am

No refund as of today. I have gone ahead and file a DOT complaint as well as manually asked for the refund through the form as well. FYI.