Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Dropping Air Wisconsin including CRJ-200s by 1 June 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Dropping Air Wisconsin including CRJ-200s by 1 June 2023

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:17 pm

United informed Air Wisconsin last year they didn't intend to renew their agreement beyond 2023. https://seekingalpha.com/article/449...-annual-letter
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Looks like I moved out of Wisconsin at the right time.... I took a lot of these flights in/out of ORD and DEN over the past year or so and they were miserable... the only thing to make them worse is if they are now under the AA umbrella vs UA....oh wait, that's what appears to be happening......

will be interesting to see UA's plans for those routes....
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
GoJet is taking on more CRJ-550s and there are a number of frames sitting around that SkyWest and Mesa can't staff. Rumor has it United is looking to place 175s with CommutAir, as well.
Aren't the 550s just existing GoJet CR7s? Are these actually new [to GoJet] aircraft, or existing UAX aircraft that are still being converted?

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I would think drop most of them - considering they will likely be served by American - perhaps keep a few high volume/profitable routes, but I suspect overall good news for UA
Most? Almost certainly some, but I'd guess not most. And some are already served by other regional carriers as well. Case in point, IAD-YYZ is served by both Air Wisconsin and Republic (and in pre-COVID, was certainly at times at least served all by E75/CR7, so who knows if that goes back to that. CVG-ORD is on that map, but only 1 of 5 flights in Air Wisconsin. STL to ORD is on the Air Wisconsin map, but so far as I can see, of the 6 departures today, 0 are Air Wisconsin.

Originally Posted by 2P or not 2P
Current Air Wisc routes: https://www.airwis.com/travel.html#routs
Of course other UAX operators may also operate on some of these routes.
This. Some already do some segments, as shown above. Some may swap over to different carriers. But yes, some are likely to be dropped.

Last edited by emcampbe; Aug 23, 2022 at 11:51 am
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
I noticed that SkyWest took over HPN-ORD from ZW a few months ago - I hope this means we get CR5s in White Plains!
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Aren't the 550s just existing GoJet CR7s? Are these actually new [to GoJet] aircraft, or existing UAX aircraft that are still being converted?.
Yes many of the CR5s are former CR7 sourced from other operators around the world, not just former GoJet or other UAX operators. I believe there are a further 20 due to be converted and put into service, but G7 can barely staff its operation as it is.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hilarity continues over in AA Forum: AA to add up to 60 CRJ-200s

David
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
brah, 700 segments on the devils chariot?! Say it isn’t so

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
How in the living heck did I miss this? As someone who has documented over 700 segments on the CRJ-200 (I've since quit counting)...What wonderful news from an aircraft perspective! ...Unless, A) They renew last minute or B) Those CRJs end up in another existing or all new United Express contractor.

I said above 'from an aircraft perspective', because I will give the ZW flight attendants credit, honestly, most are better than mainline, and certainly better than the absolute garbage service that SkyWest provides on similar short routes, CRJ, E175 or CR7. I recently posted in the 1K recognition thread that it took me over 2 years to be acknowledged as a 1K (not a big deal, just a data point)...And that was on a CRJ flight home to MBS where the F/A, on a 45-min-in-the-air flight brought me 2 cocktails and a snack box, my next flight out, didn't quite get that treatment, but got a pre-departure beverage as a 1K (another 1K/GS as well), and an open bar once we took off. Most of those short flights at least get water and a snack choice from ZW. We've had a mix of aircraft and carriers in/out of MBS in the last year including F seats on the GoJet -550 and the SkyWest E175. EVERY SINGLE SkyWest flight, in F, we were never greeted, never offered a beverage--not even water through the aisles. I had a handful of GoJet flights--sitting in F, and was told specifically, "we don't offer beverages, even in F, on this flight". But even before the pandemic when we had all SkyWest CRJ service due to a contract w/UA (SkyWest 'owned' United at MBS as an at-risk airport for at least 7-8 years), it was still horrible service--I even made a game out of it--after they made the announcement that there would be NO service on the flight (not even water through the aisles), I'd see if the flight attendant even left their seat other than the walk-though at the end to check seatbelts and pick up trash. Once even had an F/A sleep from takeoff to touchdown, didn't flinch until we hit the tarmac. --I think I reported that one and even left the plane with a snide comment, "here for our safety, huh?". I'm scared that we'll still end up with crappy CRJs, but even crappier service if/when ZW disappears.

HOWEVER...Comfort, especially when it comes to flying the Devil's Chariot™ (or NOT flying it) is paramount. I'll take shoddy, downright horrible service on any. other. aircraft. over the CRJ...But it does sting a bit to see those people perhaps losing their jobs, especially with the great service they've provided, but overall, any tears of the demise of ZW are indeed crocodile tears.
Originally Posted by narvik
What's United's plan for all the current destinations Air Wisconsin flies to?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...n_destinations
id like to know the answer to this too

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2022 at 8:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by narvik
What's United's plan for all the current destinations Air Wisconsin flies to?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...n_destinations
Originally Posted by EWR764
Double-edged sword for United... on one hand, it means 1/3 of the most undesirable model in the UAX fleet are gone, and probably won't be replaced. ZW owns the frames and that means it won't be a situation where the flying is just shifted to another operator. On the other, it means a number of small markets in and around ORD/IAD will probably lose service, on top of the few dozen that have left the system in the last couple of years.

GoJet is taking on more CRJ-550s and there are a number of frames sitting around that SkyWest and Mesa can't staff. Rumor has it United is looking to place 175s with CommutAir, as well.
Will be watching DAY for this one. Has been reduced to only serving IAD and ORD lately, and all by Air Wisconsin.
Would be amazed if United pulls out completely. Hell, Delta is still running mainline out of here.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Will be watching DAY for this one. Has been reduced to only serving IAD and ORD lately, and all by Air Wisconsin.
Would be amazed if United pulls out completely. Hell, Delta is still running mainline out of here.
Hopefully it will go back to the mid-teens days of a mix of E145s, E170s and I guess whatever UEX can pull out of the closet.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Hopefully it will go back to the mid-teens days of a mix of E145s, E170s and I guess whatever UEX can pull out of the closet.
Mid Teens would also mean multiple daily flights to EWR and DEN, along with the still existing ORD and IAD. That would be great, but doubtful they will restore service to DAY like that.

Really not sure what they will do. AA runs mostly 2 cabin regionals. Delta a mix of mainline and regionals, mostly 2 cabin.
Sad to see how fall United service has fallen here. Most of the time I trek down to Cincy, but that is getting old.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Mid Teens would also mean multiple daily flights to EWR and DEN, along with the still existing ORD and IAD. That would be great, but doubtful they will restore service to DAY like that.

Really not sure what they will do. AA runs mostly 2 cabin regionals. Delta a mix of mainline and regionals, mostly 2 cabin.
Sad to see how fall United service has fallen here. Most of the time I trek down to Cincy, but that is getting old.
Funny, I used to come from CVG often to fly from DAY and sometimes CMH. It’s amazing to see how DAY and CVG have almost flipped spots over the past several years, maybe not too long after the merger. When I moved to Cincinnati in 2008, CVG still had a mainline flight to ORD, but many of the rest were CR2/E45 and a handful of CR7 - in fact, post-merger, CVG changed from primarily CR7 to DEN down to E45 (that was not a fun flight - don’t ask how I know that&#128512. Because of that, and pricing, we often flew from DAY and occasionally CMH. Fast forward, and CVG made a push to diversify as DL was cutting back - they attracted F9 (who I wouldn’t fly, but can’t argue it was bad for the market), eventually WN, as well as improved service from other legacies, as AA expanded there with their merger, as did UA with more frequencies, esp. to IAD and upgraded DEN flights to E75 and mainline - even AC increased to 3 flights to YYZ. Things improved remarkably from CVG - prices dropped to below those of DAY, and the CR2s/E45s that once frequented the airport were mostly (though not completely) gone. As this transition was happening, and UA had more E70/75 and CR7 service CVG-IAD/ORD, definitely noticed as I continued to search from DAY how much the frequencies were switching to the one-class 50 seaters. So I know the pain the folks in DAY are feeling - that was me out of CVG for several years prior to UA downgauging there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For laugh of the day, TPG's
Regional carrier Air Wisconsin ditches United Airlines for American Airlines
Starting no later than March, the regional will switch from United Airlines to American Airlines, American announced Monday.
sort of mentions the real reason toward the end of the post
Last year, United announced that it planned to phase out single-cabin 50-seat flying. A United spokesperson told TPG that today’s announcement is part of that strategy.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The Air Wisconsin contract with UA Ends in February with 64 CRI-200 leaving going to AA.
What will fill the void. More route cuts.

Looking at May schedule next year still shows Air Wisconsin flying DAY-ORD mit sure how this can be AW leaving UA in February

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 28, 2022 at 9:06 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The Air Wisconsin contract with UA Ends in February with 64 CRI-200 leaving going to AA.
What will fill the void. More route cuts.

Looking at May schedule next year still shows Air Wisconsin flying DAY-ORD mit sure how this can be AW leaving UA in February
February is even earlier than I thought. And yes, Air Wisconsin is on the schedule through November of 2023.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Good Riddance CR2!
goodeats21 and milesforhire like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.