Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA operating from SFO Terminal 2

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
UA operating from SFO Terminal 2

A few days ago the air-side connector between terminals 2 (gates D) and 3 (gates E, F and G) at SFO opened.

Starting yesterday it looks like UA is now using Terminal 2 for a small number of flights! Todays UA2617 (SFO-LAX) and UA1954 (SFO-DCA) have both departed from the D gates in Terminal 2, with the corresponding inbound flights (from LAX/LAS) also arriving into D.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by docbert
A few days ago the air-side connector between terminals 2 (gates D) and 3 (gates E, F and G) at SFO opened.

Starting yesterday it looks like UA is now using Terminal 2 for a small number of flights! Todays UA2617 (SFO-LAX) and UA1954 (SFO-DCA) have both departed from the D gates in Terminal 2, with the corresponding inbound flights (from LAX/LAS) also arriving into D.
oboy. connecting at SFO just got even longer...

David
higher_flyer and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I bet UA and SFO are going to regret pushing off that T3 expansion project pretty soon...
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DELee

https://youtu.be/bsRNCvHXHHU

David
Like a few years ago when you had to take a bus to get to and from United Express flights in T1 (I think).
higher_flyer and nomad420 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
According to Google Maps, the longest possible walk between UA gates at SFO--from the far end of G in the international terminal to the end of the D pier in T2--is just under 4,000 feet, which is comparable to the length of the C/D concourse at IAD or the B concourse at DEN.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dkc192
According to Google Maps, the longest possible walk between UA gates at SFO--from the far end of G in the international terminal to the end of the D pier in T2--is just under 4,000 feet, which is comparable to the length of the C/D concourse at IAD or the B concourse at DEN.
That doesn't account for the elevation changes to be dealt with in G, getting in/out of G and the non linear path to get to D.

David
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:41 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Slight consolation -- at least the D gates are pleasant once you get there.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If this means more flight options and the potential to avoid the international terminal - I'm all for it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Thanks docbert for the heads-up. Great to now have the food options at T2 accessible.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
The opening of the post-security walkway is fantastic. I'm all for more ways to getting around any airport w/o having to leave security. I think this makes it possible to walk to every SFO terminal and concourse without leaving security. I am not sure the current state of terminal portion between the two Terminal 2 piers though with the construction. With TSA Pre, it may be faster and not that much hassle to leave security and re-enter though like the opposing international piers. This makes it great to be able to view the SFO artwork exhibitions that are scattered around if one has time to kill.

Interesting that United is T2 is being used by United now. Another departure location that one needs to pay attention to in the app before leaving.
SPN Lifer and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by DELee

https://youtu.be/bsRNCvHXHHU

David
Routes with the fewest connecting passengers are the ones likely to operate from T2.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I think this makes it possible to walk to every SFO terminal and concourse without leaving security.
Not yet. You can connect A to B. And you can connect from C all the way to G. But there's currently no airside connection B to C (and to connect landside, you have to go through the parking lot or take the AirTrain).
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Routes with the fewest connecting passengers are the ones likely to operate from T2.
Lol you're giving Ops way too much credit. Gates are assigned for airline convenience, not passenger convenience.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CApreppie
The opening of the post-security walkway is fantastic. I'm all for more ways to getting around any airport w/o having to leave security. I think this makes it possible to walk to every SFO terminal and concourse without leaving security. I am not sure the current state of terminal portion between the two Terminal 2 piers though with the construction. With TSA Pre, it may be faster and not that much hassle to leave security and re-enter though like the opposing international piers. This makes it great to be able to view the SFO artwork exhibitions that are scattered around if one has time to kill.

Interesting that United is T2 is being used by United now. Another departure location that one needs to pay attention to in the app before leaving.
So now i can use my Alaska lounge membership when i fly UA!
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not yet. You can connect A to B. And you can connect from C all the way to G. But there's currently no airside connection B to C (and to connect landside, you have to go through the parking lot or take the AirTrain).

Lol you're giving Ops way too much credit. Gates are assigned for airline convenience, not passenger convenience.
I haven't been in that section in awhile. Figure that it will be after they finish T2 construction. It is rather similar to LAX, where post-security all-terminal walking access is slowly being pieced together with terminal renovations.

I'm going to SFO soon so I'll make sure to check it out if I have time.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kacee

You might be absolutely right but I remember that's how UA treated EWR Terminal A before they switched it up and consolidated most E145 aircraft there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.