FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How are 1Ks being treated by UA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2057778-how-1ks-being-treated-ua.html)

aCavalierInCoach Nov 8, 2021 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 33711981)

I am amazed at how many GSs are flying in Y these days-I know because I watch who boards first and notice them back in Y when I am getting seated in F or, sometimes, the F cabin is completely empty by the time I board. Now, I don't count the GSs, but my gut is that, on any given flight, over half of the GSs are back in Y.

Can confirm this is commonplace, especially if the GS is traveling leisure. Sunday IAD-SFO on my last trip the boarding announcement on the 77W was "we'd now like to welcome aboard the 8 Global Services customers on this flight" -- I think two were in F by my count, and one of those was the sole upgrade on the flight (looked like T-48 clear). And this a/c was upgauged from a 772 to a 773 that morning, with no additional upgrades into the 10 additional seats.

I have a single upgrade on a dozen or so leisure flights this year as GS; GS/1K upgrade experience is much less about which level you are and much more about where/when you are flying.

WF? BF.

ani90 Nov 8, 2021 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 33711981)
These observations further prove the wisdom of buying F on every flight.

Observations are sure correct. But whether that translates into proof of wisdom of buying F on every flight is another discussion!

zombietooth Nov 8, 2021 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ani90 (Post 33712662)
Observations are sure correct. But whether that translates into proof of wisdom of buying F on every flight is another discussion!

My point is that if GS aren't getting UG'd on most of my flights, then there would be no chance for a 1K like me to ever get an UG. So, the argument made by many other 1Ks here, to book Y, apply PlusPoints at booking and waitlist, because you'll have a high chance of getting the UG, is therefore specious. If there is no chance of an UG and you want to fly in first, then you must buy first. Oh, I do get few UGs on short runs e.g. MSP-IAH/IAD/DEN/ORD, but I don't really care about those because they're not long flights, it's the transcons that I can't deal with.

ContinentalFan Nov 9, 2021 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 33709457)
In fairness the airlines who originally taught us about loyalty programs are now trying to teach us that the rules have changed. It just takes longer for some of us to realize this.

Exactly, they’d like us to be as loyal to the airline as the airline is to itself.

eng3 Nov 9, 2021 8:29 am

Well, on my last flight, I was an award ticket, #1 on the upgrade list after F filled up. Part way into the flight, the F FA came out and thanked me for being 1K by name and asked if he could get me more drinks. Towards the end of the flight, he dropped off a stroopwafel/pretzel/water bag that they give out in F. (I saw he had another bag in his hand some maybe another 1K on an award ticket further back)Anyways, that was a first for me. . Well, maybe once an F FA slipped me a snack box (before they were free for 1K). It's very YMMV, some FA's care, some dont.

Repooc17 Nov 9, 2021 9:07 am

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 33714424)
Towards the end of the flight, he dropped off a stroopwafel/pretzel/water bag that they give out in F.

I'm old enough to remember UA used to provide everyone a snack bag as recent as a few months ago. This is how cheap UA has gotten.

eng3 Nov 9, 2021 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 33714535)
I'm old enough to remember UA used to provide everyone a snack bag as recent as a few months ago. This is how cheap UA has gotten.

Yeah, now you only get drinks and F gets the bag on short flights. I'm not sure if 1K in Y get access as I don't know how many they load. I've never bother asking. They don't even load snack boxes where in the past, F would get a snack box and Y could buy them. If you go back far enough, there was a period where you only get drinks. Ofcourse if you go way back, we all go meals in Y

But the point of my post was that some FA's will go above and beyond to make a bad situation slightly better.

rbakker Nov 10, 2021 4:08 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33712377)
mainline or UX? Gate?

On both UX and United. I can't remember the gate number but it was IAD-BRU.

WineCountryUA Nov 10, 2021 9:25 am

Originally Posted by rbakker (Post 33716767)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33712377)

Originally Posted by rbakker (Post 33711435)
Not when they announce (and I quote) "We now welcome 1K and Group 1".

mainline or UX? Gate?

On both UX and United. I can't remember the gate number but it was IAD-BRU.

On UX, agents may merge BP groups due to the smaller number of passengers -- but an international mainline flight is a problem.

IMRU Nov 10, 2021 2:11 pm

Well, I'm getting what matters to me: decent seats for free in Y on booking, a dedicated phone number with folks who actually know what they're doing, and not having to stand in line to get on the plane. I get the free snack box (when provided / available) with no problem. Name saying happens about 50% of the time. I honestly gave up on upgrades way before the pandemic. While they happened, they were too infrequent to be considered a benefit. Forget about PlusPoints - I apply them EVERY time I fly and I've yet to have one hit. I think that this new benefit is actually a devaluation. United WAAAAY over promises free flights in First and vastly underdelivers. If I knew another carrier did any better, I'd switch.

rbakker Nov 11, 2021 3:22 am

I was desperate to use my PlusPoints so I made sure I picked flights where there was no waitlist. Not for everyone of course, you need to be able to be flexible and and have multiple ways to get from A to B. Worked out well so far, Polaris for the wife and myself to and from Europe. I didn't even know about PlusPoints when I first tried to make it to 1K but I think they're one of the best parts of the program now. That and pre-boarding, if and when United allows me to do so.

narvik Nov 11, 2021 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33717423)
On UX, agents may merge BP groups due to the smaller number of passengers -- but an international mainline flight is a problem.

I think overall, I've had more success with UX than mainline. 🤔
(But maybe it's just because UA/Air Wisconsin at AVP is just good at following protocol, and that's where I fly out for most of my UX flights.)

droopydog Nov 14, 2021 2:21 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ani90 (Post 33702880)
I also had a personal note last week. In my experience, the customer service from United has improved, rather than worsened, through the pandemic despite very difficult conditions faced by both the airline and staff. As said one has to adjust their expectations - within the construct of the current situation, I would not complain.

Interestingly, I recently flew DL in paid F, have no status, and got this note from the FA. No one else in my row or in front of me got one as best I could tell...

zombietooth Nov 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by droopydog (Post 33728409)
Interestingly, I recently flew DL in paid F, have no status, and got this note from the FA. No one else in my row or in front of me got one as best I could tell...

I got a note like that and a nice notebook and pen set from an LX crew in F once. I've never gotten anything like that on UA.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ca92286714.jpg
Nice Notebook

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...df12ae3574.jpg
Hand-written poem inside, " Der Erlkönig". A very nice touch.

huey_driver Nov 14, 2021 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 33711397)
I have had almost 60 UA flights this year alone (including many at IAD), and I have never witnessed the ENTIRE boarding area being roped off other than green/blue boarding lanes.

I left IAD from Gate D9 a couple days ago it it was locked down TIGHT! There was absolutely no way to get to the door without going down lane 1 or 2. Kinda surprised me, I never saw it that tight before. Just wanted to validate that it may be infrequent, but I saw it too. I wanted to take a picture, but didnt want to answer questions about why I was so interested....
Lane 1 started filling up the second the GA reached for the microphone. I wandered to the front of Lane 2 and was actually fairly alone. Although I can board with military, I mostly try and wait for GS to go ahead. It just gets a little tight if I am in a bulkhead seat. I never use a carry-on, but do need somewhere to put my small backpack.
I tried the same leaving LAX friday at 71B (I think). The area was jammed with people at the CS counters, and Lane 1 was packed. I just walked up lane 2 and waited there and the front. The GA stopped me as I stepped up from Lane 2. I just quietly said I was military and she let me move on.