FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How are 1Ks being treated by UA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2057778-how-1ks-being-treated-ua.html)

AirbusFan2B Jan 1, 2022 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by KittyWrestler (Post 33862081)
I see.. well lesson learned... the awkwardness is really not worth the money. I feel like begging if I had to say I am 1K and need a free something something..

Just order your Tanqueray and tonic as a 1K in the econ cabin, and I’m fairly certain you would not be charged. If a price is mentioned, I would just give the FA “the look.”

zombietooth Jan 1, 2022 7:42 pm

I am new so I never really explained that I am 1K. Every time, my contactless card got charged for the single drink I ordered on the flight. So I don't think that's true. I think you do have to explain.

I see.. well lesson learned... the awkwardness is really not worth the money. I feel like begging if I had to say I am 1K and need a free something something..

Honestly, it used to be much better. The FAs had a list of every 1K in Y and would proactively communicate your eligibility for free items. The truth is that 1K perks pretty much have to be begged for these days.

Good Luck! And welcome to Flyertalk.

econ Jan 1, 2022 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 33862421)
Honestly, it used to be much better. The FAs had a list of every 1K in Y and would proactively communicate your eligibility for free items.

Sometimes they would. Even if they didn’t, the device they used would indicate GS/1K when processing the order so they wouldn’t need to ask for payment.

DELee Jan 1, 2022 8:53 pm

Suggestion: print your boarding pass(es) that show that you're a 1K and have it ready for the FA. No muffled yelling involved.

David

CMK10 Jan 2, 2022 9:31 am

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 33860463)
1K doesn't board with Group 1, see sequence

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 33860696)
The OP knows that. He's opining (and I and many others have made the same opinion) that when United calls for "1Ks" to board, most people in Group 1 thinks that's for them so they board as well. The Gate Agent almost never does anything about it so the 1Ks who are trying to pre-board (not from the Group 1 or Group 2 lane) are "fighting" for space with the group 1'ers who shouldn't even be trying to board.

-RM

Precisely.

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 33860768)
The never ending changes to the UA boarding process has one constant - 1Ks and those who actually pay for First/Business get screwed.

Absolutely.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33860957)
I can't think of any airport where that would work consistently.

If you want to take advantage of 1K pre-boarding, you generally need to play gate lice, carefully selecting a place to stand with a clear path to the pre-boarding lane. Hopefully back far enough so that pre-boarders with earlier priority aren't blocked.

Otherwise, you risk not making the lane in time, and getting caught up with Group 1.

Yep this is absolutely correct. And if you arrive a minute or two late you can either be a jerk and cut everyone in Group 1 or join the end of the line. On a widebody 60+ people can be Group 1.

ComeFlyWithMe33 Jan 5, 2022 12:57 pm

Wanted to share a good experience I had on 26DEC during the holiday travel and cancellation mess. I was flying in booked F IAD-ORD on the morning flight on 26DEC which was cancelled. Overnight when the flight cancelled I was emailed a new flight itinerary fifteen minutes later (with a stop) but in coach. Since they do not offer many IAD-ORD (4x day) flights I changed to a DCA-ORD flight (still in coach) to go nonstop. Check in was awesome at DCA (1K/Polaris line) as the agent reassigned me first class seat where she thanked me for being a 1k and for coming to DCA from IAD due to the cancel. I went to the club where I was recognized for my 1K status. For boarding I left the club when I got the boarding text and walked right up during 1K boarding and got right on. The flight was operated by an E175 from DCA but the FA was able to do a drink order on the ground and offered predeparture beverage service. I was thanked for being 1K during the order process and then my drink came out first when we were in the air (and my seat was not located in the back or front row) along with a snack pack with another thank you for your business and being a 1k. Getting served first was a new one for me, as the guy next to me asked me why I got my drink before everyone else and I just said "Must be my lucky day maybe they had the AHA drink open"? I wonder if I was the only 1K on the flight? Considering my flight cancelled hours before this it was a seamless travel experience and I am grateful.

DELee Jan 7, 2022 5:32 pm

Wow. That's a lot into one post. With no carriage returns.

Glad 1Ks are getting good treatment.

David

PotomacApproach Jan 7, 2022 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by ComeFlyWithMe33 (Post 33874205)
The flight was operated by an E175 from DCA but the FA was able to do a drink order on the ground and offered predeparture beverage service.

Even as a lowly Silver, I think I get better treatment by UX crews than many 1Ks get on mainline. The E175 FAs across the board are far less bitter and there's a lot less DYKWIA'ing on these flights. Also helps that SkyWest employees aren't members of an outside union. And between AS, DL, and UA, I'm a de facto Skywest 1K and they treat me (and many others) much better than many of the grouches on UA mainline treat any of their pax.

thejaredhuang Jan 7, 2022 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by KittyWrestler (Post 33861976)
4) No free snack box and no free drinks. I paid for both mine and my companion's beer and wine on the flights. All I got was the 25% kick back from my United Club card. So did I miss anything? I didn't tell the FA I am 1K. I thought they could see it.

You should write to the 1K email and request a refund for your portion of the charge, they will either process a refund or give you a travel cert for the same amount.

LondonElite Jan 10, 2022 10:38 am

Been travelling quite a bit up and down the east coast the last few months and I have no complaints. Upgraded on all flights for which I did not buy F, even when travelling with my kids (gold). Almost all crew address me by name, keep the ice cold, etc. And of course the best feature of 1K, the phone line, continues to impress every time.

n8-the-gr8 Jan 10, 2022 11:10 am

That wasn't always the case but I had found more recently the only safe way to guarantee 1K perks was to ask for them rather than hope they are honored.

I used to get quite frustrated at United when they would not deliver on stated benefits but have found there are basically two options: (1) have little shame in asking for what you are explicitly entitled to or (2) don't expect anything from United and stop playing the loyalty game with them. I have opted for option 1 generally speaking and am comfortable with any awkwardness of asking for benefits I am promised but understand not everyone wants to take that approach and you really shouldn't have to. If it's too uncomfortable or not worth doing then I recommend not rewarding them with outsize loyalty - that is, booking based on convenience, price, and product rather than only booking United.

It's certainly less common for me to encounter awkward situations these days of course as I've been GS for several years but I do still do the obnoxious line cut ahead of whoever is in group 1 or 2 if I miss pre-boarding which I know many (most?) people find either rude or uncomfortable. I try to be as courteous as possible while also acknowledging that no one knows who I am specifically and I will most likely never see them again.

Artpen100 Jan 10, 2022 11:28 am

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8 (Post 33889467)
That wasn't always the case but I had found more recently the only safe way to guarantee 1K perks was to ask for them rather than hope they are honored.

I have no problem simply adding "by the way, I am a 1K" to the end of my order, and never had an FA not know that meant free drink and snack box. I just would not expect every FA to know who every 1K is on every flight. Too busy, and too much going on. I just became 1K again at the end of last year, and didn't notice much difference from plat on my first few flights. Glad to have the PPs and, though it is a little silly, to board a few seconds earlier, since I am one who likes to board early. Though running less than 50% in PDBs since they were reintroduced.

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 10, 2022 11:51 am

Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8 (Post 33889467)
I have opted for option 1 generally speaking and am comfortable with any awkwardness of asking for benefits I am promised but understand not everyone wants to take that approach and you really shouldn't have to. If it's too uncomfortable or not worth doing then I recommend not rewarding them with outsize loyalty - that is, booking based on convenience, price, and product rather than only booking United.

What part is awkward - It isn't a big deal to say: I'm a GS/1K and I'll take my complementary drink as a Bacardi and I'll have the burger for my complementary meal.

You miss all the shots you don't take. Only awkward if you don't have any social skills.

n8-the-gr8 Jan 10, 2022 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33889619)
What part is awkward - It isn't a big deal to say: I'm a GS/1K and I'll take my complementary drink as a Bacardi and I'll have the burger for my complementary meal.

You miss all the shots you don't take. Only awkward if you don't have any social skills.

I personally agree - was highlighting as that was the response by the quoted poster as a reason they didn't want to say anything.

Kmxu Jan 10, 2022 6:56 pm

Cancellation and rebooking

I am supposed to fly LGA-IAD-ORF. UA cancelled IAD-ORF a week ago. I called to switch to IAD-RIC, which was cancelled at T-24 h. I asked for LGA-ORF or JFk-RIC nonstop on other airlines. The requests were denied. I will have to take a long taxi from JFK to EWR tomorrow. The phone call took more than 60 min. 😂 😂