Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA changes awards search, mutiple issues, confusing listings, higher mileage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus

I just noticed that United has replaced the Business Saver column with a Business Mixed Cabin. So if the flight is not non-stop the lower priced (in miles) business award has a mixed cabin. I did find an example or two where the regular business award was discounted to the same award miles price as the business mixed cabin, but they seem to be the exceptions. I wonder if those bargain regular business awards will soon drop off. This seems to be another award devaluation.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by jonsail
I just noticed that United has replaced the Business Saver column with a Business Mixed Cabin. So if the flight is not non-stop the lower priced (in miles) business award has a mixed cabin. I did find an example or two where the regular business award was discounted to the same award miles price as the business mixed cabin, but they seem to be the exceptions. I wonder if those bargain regular business awards will soon drop off. This seems to be another award devaluation.
'
Are you saying that you can find two segments where saver award space is available (AAA-BBB & BBB-CCC) but the flight AAA-BBB-CCC wont give you business saver award?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
I live in LAS so except for Canada, all international traveling i do is at least one stop. So, for example, LAS-IST will involve a domestic and international leg. Formerly there was a Business Saver column that often was mixed cabin but the column heading was Business Saver. Now that heading has been replaced with Business Mixed Cabin with the domestic leg being economy and the international leg being first or business.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Yes I'm seeing this SYD-NYC too. Not good. Hopefully just a glitch.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow, that's horrible from a UI perspective. I booked a few business award tickets earlier this morning and it wasn't showing like that, but it is now.

Specifically for mixed itinerary tickets you need to actually click on the "Details" link to even see it's a mixed itinerary as from the main results screen it looks exactly the same for all-business v's mixed trips. Interestingly, Premium Economy doesn't show this way, and still has the old-style "mixed" flag when it's relevant.
SPN Lifer, narvik and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
This is also a pain when trying to book with Partner miles. Now I have to go in and search all of the fares on all of the itinerary options to find (I) Fares. I guess everyone decided this week was the week to screw with their programs.
Smiley90 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OK, either they've changed it again, or something just wasn't displaying properly before.

When I looked a short while ago (and when I took the screenshot above) for a simple direct/nonstop flight (where obviously there's no chance of "mixed") it was showing the "mixed" price as 80K (ie, saver) and the "Business" price as 200K (ie, non-Saver). Now it's showing this :

Now that's still a little mis-leading (the "mixed" column isn't actually "mixed" - it's a single flight after all!), however I think I do actually like this change! It means if I don't want a mixed itinerary I can just sort by/look at the "Business" column and know that everything showing there is business all the way. If I'm OK with mixed, I can sort by/look at that column - knowing I need to look at the details to see which legs are economy.
dc333 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: Several
Isn’t that a more accurate title for that column anyway? Any time I search for business awards (with a connection), 90%+ of them were mixed cabin in the former saver column anyways.
entropy, SPN Lifer and Santander like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Did they just rename "saver" to "mixed cabin", or is there an actual difference?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by docbert
OK, either they've changed it again, or something just wasn't displaying properly before.

When I looked a short while ago (and when I took the screenshot above) for a simple direct/nonstop flight (where obviously there's no chance of "mixed") it was showing the "mixed" price as 80K (ie, saver) and the "Business" price as 200K (ie, non-Saver). Now it's showing this :

Now that's still a little mis-leading (the "mixed" column isn't actually "mixed" - it's a single flight after all!), however I think I do actually like this change! It means if I don't want a mixed itinerary I can just sort by/look at the "Business" column and know that everything showing there is business all the way. If I'm OK with mixed, I can sort by/look at that column - knowing I need to look at the details to see which legs are economy.
Yah - for your one flight example it is a non-stop. However, there's probably a page or more of multiple flights in said "Business (mixed cabin)" below this.

David
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by blug
Did they just rename "saver" to "mixed cabin", or is there an actual difference?
The functionality was different, but I agree with docbert it appears to have switched back (just with the new name).
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
this is a great enhancement. If one can finally sort between saver that has all segments in I/IN vs. just some. Long overdue. It has been a pain to find them in many instances.
SPN Lifer and benewr like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
this is a great enhancement. If one can finally sort between saver that has all segments in I/IN vs. just some. Long overdue. It has been a pain to find them in many instances.
Unless I'm missing it though how do you sort it just to see I/IN? Right now all the stuff in the Mixed cabin can include All forms of business fares so the only way to know if all of it is bookable at the saver level is to search every single flight fare code.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The concept of saver is long gone, so if this is now -- Business Mixed and True Business -- with dynamic pricing and filtering based on status / access, it is a plus (depending on the dynamic price)
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The concept of saver is long gone, so if this is now -- Business Mixed and True Business -- with dynamic pricing and filtering based on status / access, it is a plus (depending on the dynamic price)
The issue with that is trying to book UA with Partner Miles and still needing to try and find SAVER Awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.