Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Haven’t been overseas in 18m, MUC, FRA, or ZRH for 3 hour layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum

I have several choices next week and will have 3 hours between flights. Flying upgraded business class with plus points. Which country is the best to connect through on the way to Rome

Haven’t been overseas in almost 2 years. Thank you in Advance
Appreciate it

Last edited by lehms; Sep 14, 2021 at 9:10 am Reason: Typos
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by lehms
I have several choices next week and will have 3 hours between flights. Flying upgraded business class with plus points. Which country is the best to connect through on the way to Rome

Havemt been overseas in almost 2 years. Thank you in Advance
I like Zurich, because Swiss' business class is very good and the airport is nicer than Frankfurt, but with one caveat. If you dislike disorganized boarding, you won't like Zurich. It's a mess every time.
appenzeller likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I like Zurich, because Swiss' business class is very good and the airport is nicer than Frankfurt, but with one caveat. If you dislike disorganized boarding, you won't like Zurich. It's a mess every time.
My preference is also ZRH: it’s a great airport.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I like ZRH as well. Just did FRA 5 days ago, was surprised at how busy it was and the lounges were completely full. I typically always try to do MUC however given how much less congested it is compared to FRA.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
My preference would be ZRH.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I would rule out MCH because Aeropuerto General Manuel Serrano Renda is in Ecuador and clearly out of the way.

While I cannot complain about ZRH, I would mention an airport you didn't list, MUC (Munich) which is considered by many one of the most efficinet airports on the Continent.

While you cannot go wrong with either ZRH or MUC, perhaps you should strike FRA off the listi (and forget completely about the Ecuador transfer !
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and DrinkSlinger like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by lehms

Haven’t been overseas in almost 2 years. Thank you in Advance
Vienna.
jspira likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Vienna is one of the most civilized airports I know of. Since it’s my destination airport, I rarely transfer but is imagine it’s as good as Munich.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jspira
Vienna is one of the most civilized airports I know of. Since it’s my destination airport, I rarely transfer but is imagine it’s as good as Munich.
VIE is indeed a nice airport, but the Austrian lounges are meh. I’d choose ZRH, the lounges there are nice and rarely overcrowded
thejaredhuang and tcdtcd like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
I would rule out MCH because Aeropuerto General Manuel Serrano Renda is in Ecuador and clearly out of the way.

While I cannot complain about ZRH, I would mention an airport you didn't list, MUC (Munich) which is considered by many one of the most efficinet airports on the Continent.

While you cannot go wrong with either ZRH or MUC, perhaps you should strike FRA off the listi (and forget completely about the Ecuador transfer !

+1, I have read the main lounges are ZRH are closed for now, MUC us vert transfer friendly, one of the best. You would need at least 3 hours at FRA !!
Old Sep 14, 2021, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
ZRH lounges are open and quite busy.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
i vote VIE or ZRH for their civility and less chaos than FRA or MUC. MUC used to be ok, but in the past 4 years it has gotten too big and the passport control lines too crazy when transiting non-Schengen to Schengen that I avoid that too. FRA is always a zoo with construction, frequent bussing to planes, and crowded lounges.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
i vote VIE or ZRH for their civility and less chaos than FRA or MUC. MUC used to be ok, but in the past 4 years it has gotten too big and the passport control lines too crazy when transiting non-Schengen to Schengen that I avoid that too. FRA is always a zoo with construction, frequent bussing to planes, and crowded lounges.
I transited through MUC to ZRH twice in last two weeks and it was efficient as usual and lounges were open but pretty busy. Today I am on my way back to US and stopped at ZRH E gate lounge and it was really busy.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
LH Terminal 2 in MUC is the best airport terminal in Europe (and it has the world's best airport beer garden just in front of it).

Full stop
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I don't recommend it unless you are familiar with it, and accustomed to moving quickly as a traveler, but 3 hours at ZRH is approaching the amount of time where it would be entirely possible to sneak into town and enjoy a quick bite and/or bier.

The easy accessibility of ZRH from the city center is one of its many great advantages. Certainly not the same with MUC or FRA.

Originally Posted by Duck1981
LH Terminal 2 in MUC is the best airport terminal in Europe (and it has the world's best airport beer garden just in front of it).

Full stop
I too am very partial to MUC, one of my favorite cities and airports in the world. If the Airbrau is open, I can't think of many more enjoyable places to spend an airport layover.
SPN Lifer and QPRPaul like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.