FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040057-ua-use-home-testing-kit-u-s-return-international.html)

whimsey21 Jul 20, 2021 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 33422363)
Yes - you need a separate account f:)r each person, but they can each use the same device. The only hassle doing this is that the tests will have to be done serially, taking about 20min each.

great! Thanks for the info. We’d probably want to help the kids with their testing anyway, so doing two in serial is ok.

daisyatl Jul 22, 2021 7:45 am

Has anyone used this test when flying back to the US from TLV? Is there any reason it could not be used on this route? Thank you in advance for your help.

Xyzzy Jul 22, 2021 7:52 am

Originally Posted by daisyatl (Post 33428153)
Has anyone used this test when flying back to the US from TLV? Is there any reason it could not be used on this route? Thank you in advance for your help.

The US has the same test requirements regardless of where you travel fr:om and these tests meet the requirements. I'd have no hesitation in relying on them from TLV. Why do you think TLV would be any different from other points of origin?

MD/DC Flyer Jul 22, 2021 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 33428170)
The US has the same test requirements regardless of where you travel fr:om and these tests meet the requirements. I'd have no hesitation in relying on them from TLV. Why do you think TLV would be any different from other points of origin?

AFAIK (and it changes all the time) you need a PCR test to be allowed to fly out of TLV (Israeli government requirements).

daisyatl Jul 22, 2021 8:27 am

Thank you. We never thought to check that but I just googled and looks like you are correct. https://corona.health.gov.il/en/dire...eaving-israel/

Seph87 Jul 22, 2021 8:49 am

I think that's pretty unique to Israel. I haven't heard of any other country that requires a test to leave.

jamienbaker Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Seph87 (Post 33428318)
I think that's pretty unique to Israel. I haven't heard of any other country that requires a test to leave.

Iraq does. You can’t even enter Baghdad airport without PCR. I used PCR to enter but then used BinaxNOW to satisfy Qatar.

zombietooth Jul 23, 2021 7:25 am

Netherlands Free Test

Slightly OT, but if you have a trip to the Netherlands, you can get a free test, courtesy of the Dutch government, when you leave (until AUG 31) by using this link:

https://afspraak.testenvoorjereis.nl/evenement/type

Most of the test centers that pop-up as options are at this company:

https://spoedtest.nl/en/

They were extremely friendly, quick and very competent (I've had dozens of tests for work in the US and these guys were experts). Test results and QR code were available within 30 mins for the antigen version. In addition, due to my computer's time zone setting, I had appointments that were actually supposed to be 6 hours later, but I was allowed to get the tests anyway. There were no lines and the test itself took less than 5 mins. You can also get PCR tests with them (not necessary to return to the US). In addition, the Euro 39- cost for the Antigen test seems very reasonable once the promotion period ends.

1k-all-the-way Jul 30, 2021 1:00 am

Hi all, i just used this for first time and found it easy and helpful.

2 questions...i took it Thursday for a Sunday departure. That's ok according to Cdc rules, correct? ( I wanted to take it early as possible in case of a problem)

Think I need to print result, or is digital ok? I'm traveling cdg,fra,sfo.

Thank you

jamienbaker Jul 30, 2021 3:27 am

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way (Post 33449860)

2 questions...i took it Thursday for a Sunday departure. That's ok according to Cdc rules, correct? ( I wanted to take it early as possible in case of a problem)

Thank you

Yes on timing, yes on digital. My only suggestion is you screen shot it. I couldn’t get a cell signal in VCE at the gate and almost didn’t get on. I’ve never had reception problems in CDG or FRA, but you never know.

Mike Jacoubowsky Jul 30, 2021 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way (Post 33449860)

Thank you

Keep in mind that, using the BinaxNow testing kit, the app has a constantly-updating display letting the people checking at the gate know how much time is left. And it lists the time since taking the test in HOURS not days. The CDC did make it clear that DAYS matter (3 days), despite other instances where they refer to hours (72). I would print out the relevant section from the CDC website (referenced in a post further above this) and being that along when you travel.

My first test returned an "invalid" result, throwing everything into a tizzy. Sounded much worse than it was. Just take a second test and whatever results come from the second test overwrite the first.

What really sucks is that the most-recent news on Covid 19 is that the vaccines are allowing us to get and "distribute" the delta variant, without us ever feeling like we were sick. Which means... exposure when we travel to those with Delta (which is becoming the dominant strain) won't likely be hazardous to our health, but could create a whole lot of positive test results, putting us into quarantine, unable to return home. This could be the Next Big Mess.

Realistically the US needs to get rid of negative test requirement for fully-vaccinated US citizens. The delta variant is everywhere; we're probably just as likely to be exposed to it in the US and outside.

goodeats21 Jul 31, 2021 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 33451800)
What really sucks is that the most-recent news on Covid 19 is that the vaccines are allowing us to get and "distribute" the delta variant, without us ever feeling like we were sick. Which means... exposure when we travel to those with Delta (which is becoming the dominant strain) won't likely be hazardous to our health, but could create a whole lot of positive test results, putting us into quarantine, unable to return home. This could be the Next Big Mess.

Realistically the US needs to get rid of negative test requirement for fully-vaccinated US citizens. The delta variant is everywhere; we're probably just as likely to be exposed to it in the US and outside.

From a practical standpoint, I have been thinking about the risk of a positive test on my planned upcoming Germany trip. If my USA-required pre-departure test comes back positive, I assume that would mean some period of quarantine in Germany, I would guess at a hotel room, which would mean delaying return for 10-14 days? I have started to search for the criteria in Germany, but haven't found it easily.

Would be great to end the mandatory testing for returning, vaccinated US citizens.

MMProfessor Jul 31, 2021 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 33451800)
Keep in mind that, using the BinaxNow testing kit, the app has a constantly-updating display letting the people checking at the gate know how much time is left. And it lists the time since taking the test in HOURS not days. The CDC did make it clear that DAYS matter (3 days), despite other instances where they refer to hours (72). I would print out the relevant section from the CDC website (referenced in a post further above this) and being that along when you travel.

The PDF version of the test results sent by eMed to your email address specifically lists the time and date the sample was taken. There should be no confusion regarding the number of days or the hours post-test.

TomMM Jul 31, 2021 9:38 am

Originally Posted by MMProfessor (Post 33452870)
The PDF version of the test results sent by eMed to your email address specifically lists the time and date the sample was taken. There should be no confusion regarding the number of days or the hours post-test.

Exactly and that's what I've been presenting to the check in agents.

zombietooth Jul 31, 2021 11:24 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 33452715)
From a practical standpoint, I have been thinking about the risk of a positive test on my planned upcoming Germany trip. If my USA-required pre-departure test comes back positive, I assume that would mean some period of quarantine in Germany, I would guess at a hotel room, which would mean delaying return for 10-14 days? I have started to search for the criteria in Germany, but haven't found it easily.

I worried about this on my recent trip to the Netherlands. Even though I was vaccinated way back in MAR, I still had worries about coming up positive with all of the crap that the media are hyping about the DL-variant. In the Netherlands, if you come up positive, you are immediately reported to the authorities and may be required to quarantine (a doctor will assess your risk). However, even if the Dutch don't quarantine you, you will not be able to enter the US for 7 days minimum and will have to submit a negative test before can rebook your flight.

As an aside, there were no border controls between the Netherlands and Germany. We drove in with no problems and didn't have to show any documentation.

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 33452715)
Would be great to end the mandatory testing for returning, vaccinated US citizens.

+1
A vaccine passport system would be nice but it would require much more competence than I've seen exhibited by our health authorities.