Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
So just to make sure I get it theSe 4 flights don't count also as PQFs right?
Old May 1, 2021, 10:46 am

Foreign addressed family members didn’t get the email but already have their flight minimums checked in their account with zero to date flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
No email for family, despite a German address as primary...perhaps because they have already flown more than four UA segments this year?
Old May 1, 2021, 11:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kauppias
So just to make sure I get it theSe 4 flights don't count also as PQFs right?
My read is UA is waiving the 4 UA segment requirement, not providing unflown PQFs.
SPN Lifer and kauppias like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My read is UA is waiving the 4 UA segment requirement, not providing unflown PQFs.
That's what I figured too 👍👍
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I got this email, and already see it credited.

I have had my primary address back to the US since about 2015 or so. I still have a secondary address in Canada on file, though haven’t used it for years. I figured I got the waiver due to that - seems an easy mistake to make, but sounds like there are others who have never had a foreign address that got it too? Some computer code gone bad?

my wife never got the email though, and she’s set up the same way as me all these years. Haven’t checked her account to see if she was credited the UA segments too. If she wasn’t, and I was, that would mean there is some seriously weird thing going on with the implementation.

Either way, for us personally, probably won’t make a difference. Either things keep improving at the pace we are now, and maybe we start traveling domestically again sometime in the fall and will earn the UA segments anyway, or things get worse again and we won’t. Potentially, if we’re able to make it back to YYZ before the end of the year, it might allow us to get on an AC nonstop from SFO, if it comes back and the UA flight still hasn’t. But honestly, the situation there at least now is well worse, and I’m not convinced there will be a trip this year. Technically, we are allowed to go back (all Canadian citizens also), but with the severe restrictions on entry, including no exceptions for fully vaccinated folks (at least not yet), it’s not worth it. We really want to see family, but it’s not worth it until things get better and the restrictions ease.

as for potential further UA incentives, the email didn’t strike me as a ‘this is it - we’re not going to do anything else’, but simply as one thing they are doing to help international elites now. I didn’t get the impression it was foreshadowing no additional giveaways or promos to help people, or that they wouldn’t be doing it. I suspect they will be continually looking at the data and situation as we get further into the year, and making decisions based on what will be best for United.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Even though Guam and the CNMI (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands) are U.S. territories, they are often treated as international, including by U.S. immigration authorities.

So I was not surprised that my older son, who moved back to Saipan in November, got the four-segment credit.

My wife & I just returned to SPN less than three weeks ago (duly updating our address with UA) and were pleasantly surprised to receive the same.

Not that it will make much difference for us. We are waiting for the GUM United Club to be reopened, and territorial (and Philippine) quarantine requirements to be rescinded, before resuming travel to MNL.

GUM-MNL is about 30% ($100) less on PR than UA.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
I wish UA would consider applying this to Hawaii residents as well. We live in the most remote island chain in the world. Most of my flying has been international pre-COVID-19. With the severe quarantines in-place, it's unlikely normal international travel will resume anytime soon. We already took a loss when UA made the number of flights taken more valuable than distance flown when they redesigned the MP program.
Old May 2, 2021, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by auandagbug
We already took a loss when UA made the number of flights taken more valuable than distance flown when they redesigned the MP program.
Of course, the biggest change was the shift to a money-based system, Premier Qualifying Points (PQP), for annual status attainment.
Old May 2, 2021, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Of course, the biggest change was the shift to a money-based system, Premier Qualifying Points (PQP), for annual status attainment.
So, why call your program "Mileage Plus" if it no longer relevant?

David
Old May 2, 2021, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've had an outside the US address for 3 years now, and I haven't received an e-mail from UA.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee

David
The elite program is not mileage based but the rewards program still uses miles as the currency and 98% of the MP members are focused on rewards, not status.
And there is the whole thing about having established branding.

One could say the elite program is really "Premier Membership" and the awards program is MP.

Others are maintaining their branding -- Delta SkyMiles
Old May 2, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee

David
For many of us international members, the program being called Milage Plus is extremely accurate. Prior to 2020 it was entirely milage based making the Milage part of MilagePlus be accurate. Now with the new PQP system which is based partially on milage (if flying Star Partners) or dollars based (if flying UA) one could easily make the argument that we must earn Milage Plus Dollars on UA

Originally Posted by halls120
I've had an outside the US address for 3 years now, and I haven't received an e-mail from UA.
Your residential address on your United profile as of January 1, 2021 must be outside the US, per the terms of the offer:

You Trusty,

Roo Flyer
Old May 2, 2021, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by auandagbug
We already took a loss when UA made the number of flights taken more valuable than distance flown when they redesigned the MP program.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The elite program is not mileage based but the rewards program still uses miles as the currency and 98% of the MP members are focused on rewards, not status.
And there is the whole thing about having established branding.
In addition to the value of the MileagePlus registered trademark and brand, lifetime status attainment remains entirely based on miles.

Since I am still less than 60% of the way toward Million Miler (lifetime Premier Gold), I definitely hope that MileagePlus remains true to its name, and that we don't all get Bonv°yed!

(That is where Marriott removed the possibility of earning lifetime Titanium Elite status, after some of us had spend years of our lives and over $100K pursuing it. This was even worse than the UA unilateral reduction of our lifetime United Club admission benefits. )
tcdtcd and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So it is very strange.

Despite me receiving the email, and already having the segments credited, my wife didn't receive the email or get the UA-minimum credited. Let me be clear: likely this won't be the difference between either of us making status or not, and I shouldn't have had these waived, because I haven't used a foreign address as primary since about 2014 or maybe 2015? However, it is very strange since my wife and I have essentially the same setup in our accounts (primary and really only used address in the US, we both have a secondary address in Canada on file, but both haven't used it since 2015). Not sure why I got picked and she didn't. So just trying to figure out how they have things coded for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.