Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United begins Orange County - Honolulu May 6, variable frequency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United begins Orange County - Honolulu May 6, variable frequency

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Technically, SNA has two runways, at least according to Wikipedia, although the much smaller one (2R) is used for general aviation:

Runways

John Wayne Airport covers 504 acres (2.04 km2).[1] The airport has multiple general aviation facilities, an airline concourse building split into three terminal areas, and 2 paved runways.
  • Runway 2L/20R: 5,701 by 150 feet (1,738 m × 46 m), used by commercial aircraft and general aviation serving most incoming and departing traffic to the west of the airport. This runway is ILS equipped.
  • Runway 2R/20L: 2,887 by 75 feet (880 m × 23 m), used by smaller general aviation aircraft and light aircraft.
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W...irport#Runways
It has three if you count the taxiway that Harrison Ford landed his plane on about three years ago. ;-)
brabb12 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
We agree SNA has a single runway for commercial aviation, the subject of this discussion.
I have definitely taken off of 2R in regional aircraft such as the ERJ175, so it is used for commercial aviation; however, you are correct that a 737-X would only be able to operate the planned HI route using the main runway, 2L.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Great way to get extra 500 miles. During the last days of the flights, one of the Skywest FAs said the ONT/SNA-LAX flights were being cancelled because of ATC delays.
I only flew it once. It was like HKG-LAX-SNA. Weather was terrible. Multi hour delay. Definitely could have driven much faster. And the premium for that booking was $400 versus stopping at LAX. ouch!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by anteater
I have definitely taken off of 2R in regional aircraft such as the ERJ175, so it is used for commercial aviation; however, you are correct that a 737-X would only be able to operate the planned HI route using the main runway, 2L.
Runway 20L/2R at SNA is only 2,887' long and 75' wide. None of the airline aircraft could use that runway. Maybe an old Twin-Otter but I'm not even sure about that.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Runway 20L/2R at SNA is only 2,887' long and 75' wide. None of the airline aircraft could use that runway. Maybe an old Twin-Otter but I'm not even sure about that.
Agree. Runway 2/20 is 3,000 ft x 100 at Kapalua (JHM), and that feels pretty short when landing. I don't think I've ever seen a commercial jet in and out of there, only props.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: UA
Inagural

Sorry for the bad lighting on the pictures. Just initial reports. SNA has Hawaii preclear, like other UA flights

Had a Hawaiian band and some UA employees kick off. All passengers got a Lei made from shells and a gift bag

Pretty normal flight from Y perspective, snacks were sold. Had about 10 UA staff welcome us in HNL with some live music

1 HNL based FA, 2 IAH, captain was excellent with communication, LAX based. Half way to Hawaii was played with 2 winners receiving Polaris gel pillows

Post arrival POG juice and Mac nut bar

Last edited by thejaredhuang; May 6, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Old May 6, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
really glad to see this come back, would like to see OGG come back too!
Old May 6, 2021, 10:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Sorry for the bad lighting on the pictures.
Thank you for sharing! Took the liberty and fixed them for you

Old May 6, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I hope this new route performs well.
EWR764 and brabb12 like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I think it will do fine, its just a matter of what will UA do with it (and many other non-hub routes) say in a year if travel did in fact pick up.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
How fun! Thanks for sharing.
Old May 10, 2021, 12:30 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
About 40% full on the way back tonight, hoping it performs well in the future too.

Dinner in F tonight
Grilled chicken with some sort of sweet stir fry sauce, couldn't quite catch what the IAD based crew was saying

narvik and brabb12 like this.
Old May 23, 2021, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Flying SNA to HNL in Y next week. Has anyone flown in economy? Were there any snacks at all on this 6 hour flight and are there plugs for my laptop? I'm gold on American and don't have status on United... I have forgotten what it's like to fly without status. It looks like I cannot even select a seat unless I pay.
Old May 23, 2021, 9:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by georgina80
Flying SNA to HNL in Y next week. Has anyone flown in economy? Were there any snacks at all on this 6 hour flight and are there plugs for my laptop? ...
SNA-HNL is using 737-700
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 737-700 - FlyerTalk Forums
Seats Row 23 and forward have AC power (between seats -- so 2 outlets per 3 seat group) -- Rows that are extra cost for non-elites.
Suggest bring a personal stash.
Things will improve https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...alcohol-y.html

Originally Posted by georgina80
I'm gold on American and don't have status on United... I have forgotten what it's like to fly without status. It looks like I cannot even select a seat unless I pay.
The free seats are probably long gone (last 8 rows)
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Has this route gone seasonal?

Trying to book for end of September into October but no nonstops are showing up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.