FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2033588-ua-face-mask-policy-masks-no-longer-required-domestic-any-intl-flights-still.html)

uastarflyer Apr 18, 2022 5:59 pm

I thought so too. But now I think the government has let folks know through back channels that they will just let the ruling take effect. CDC recommendations would probably stay as is

uastarflyer Apr 18, 2022 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K (Post 34175766)
The number of people on United's tweet saying they want to cancel their flights or move to a carrier that isn't dropping the requirement is more surprising to me than I would have expected.

all domestic airlines will end this today

ani90 Apr 18, 2022 6:04 pm

Sitting in an EWR lounge and periodic automated announcements still going that Federal law requires masking...

Repooc17 Apr 18, 2022 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 34175774)
all domestic airlines will end this today

Agreed - they might run out of options soon. As of now, Alaska, Delta, and United have already made masking optional.

bmwe92fan Apr 18, 2022 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by ani90 (Post 34175790)
Sitting in an EWR lounge and periodic automated announcements still going that Federal law requires masking...

in the past three days I’ve been in Frankfurt and Bahrain and all the announcements and signs are still up and being made - except many are not wearing masks - and no one is challenging because the law has changed - For me personally I hope people continue to wear masks if they want - as someone who lives in both Asia and the USA I don’t see masks as a virtue signal - it’s a personal choice - I hope going forward we leave the people alone that wear masks - like me

avi8tir Apr 18, 2022 6:16 pm

Good riddance! If you want to wear one, go for it!

bmwe92fan Apr 18, 2022 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by avi8tir (Post 34175823)
Good riddance! If you want to wear one, go for it!

My wife and I wear them as our allergies are tough - in japan it’s a non issue - here it can create violence - I was just hoping for a more calm world lol….

Repooc17 Apr 18, 2022 6:21 pm

329,384 miles after my first (disposable) mask on a plane in 2020. No more!

oskidunker Apr 18, 2022 6:22 pm

Thank god. I may now take a trip to Europe this fall.

haddon90 Apr 18, 2022 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead (Post 34175627)
I've accumulated a pretty big stash of them. I keep finding them in my pockets every time I do laundry. :D

same! i have a ton of them and use them to wipe down my seat, but also use them at my apartment! i'm looking forward to not having to wear a mask in the airport and on the plane.

peoplemover Apr 18, 2022 6:36 pm

Anybody have insight on the international portion. It’s pretty vague in the announcement. I have FCO to EWR in a few hours. It would make it a much more pleasant 10 hours

Unitedloyalflyer Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K (Post 34175766)
The number of people on United's tweet saying they want to cancel their flights or move to a carrier that isn't dropping the requirement is more surprising to me than I would have expected.

That's twitter, which has a certain slant. Not representative of the public at large. Thus, UA would be wise to ignore the rabble

WineCountryUA Apr 18, 2022 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by peoplemover (Post 34175888)
Anybody have insight on the international portion. It’s pretty vague in the announcement. I have FCO to EWR in a few hours. It would make it a much more pleasant 10 hours

That depends on what Italy requires, that is the intent of the UA statement. If neither the orign or destination requires mask, then the flight will be "mask not required". Unfortunately I can not help with the Italy requirements. This suggest they still may as does this

ani90 Apr 18, 2022 6:52 pm

Just boarded a transatlantic from EWR. On boarding the purser telling everyone masks optional. Then they announced Masks optional - happy to see your faces. Barely any passengers wearing mask in cabin but most crew still masked.

stupidhead Apr 18, 2022 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90 (Post 34175857)
same! i have a ton of them and use them to wipe down my seat, but also use them at my apartment! i'm looking forward to not having to wear a mask in the airport and on the plane.

Me too. I've got a trip coming up soon and it would be nice to not have to mess with masks.