FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Face Mask Policy -- Masks no longer required on domestic, any intl flights still?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2033588-ua-face-mask-policy-masks-no-longer-required-domestic-any-intl-flights-still.html)

SPN Lifer Apr 23, 2021 2:22 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 33198280)
[ F]or the time being, policy is policy and any passenger who is either flaunting the rules or playing funny to avoid them, needs to be shown the exit door.

If passengers want to flaunt the rules by ostentatiously wearing their masks, or proudly showing off their full compliance for all to see, this does not bother me much.

But when passengers willfully flout the rules, ignoring clear instructions, and using a cookie as a pretext for their flagrant violations, that really torques my jaw! :mad:

X27 Apr 23, 2021 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 33199011)
If passengers want to flaunt the rules by ostentatiously wearing their masks, or proudly showing off their full compliance for all to see, this does not bother me much.

But when passengers willfully flout the rules, ignoring clear instructions, and using a cookie as a pretext for their flagrant violations, that really torques my jaw! :mad:

I understand how you feel, when I fly, I fully comply with the mask rules. However, being fully immunized I know that I'm only wearing it for show. My attitude is, it's their airplane and they can make ANY rules they wish. If they have a rule that says you must wear red socks, I will wear a red socks, or not get on the plane.

Often1 Apr 23, 2021 4:23 pm

I forget what the numbers are for those banned by carrier and on a no-fly list for FAA, but at the end of February, it was pretty high.

The person sitting with a cookie in their hand needs to be called out. If the FA doesn't act on their own, you may politely bring it to the FA's attention. FA's go the path of least resistance and this one is easy given the fines the carrier faces. It's your health as well as others so entirely justified.

Kacee Apr 23, 2021 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 33200763)
The person sitting with a cookie in their hand needs to be called out. If the FA doesn't act on their own, you may politely bring it to the FA's attention. FA's go the path of least resistance and this one is easy given the fines the carrier faces. It's your health as well as others so entirely justified.

I'm afraid that is not reality. Some FAs will not enforce the rules. Happened to me on AA Wednesday night, dude in seat next to me walked on with no mask, eating a small bag of crackers which he milked one at a time for over 15 minutes. FA said "I can't do anything he's eating."

24left Apr 25, 2021 1:51 pm

Further to

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33200995)
I'm afraid that is not reality. Some FAs will not enforce the rules. Happened to me on AA Wednesday night, dude in seat next to me walked on with no mask, eating a small bag of crackers which he milked one at a time for over 15 minutes. FA said "I can't do anything he's eating."

plus this post from the other thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-usage-56.html

Originally Posted by Whyme (Post 33186253)
I thought everyone knew that the early Covid policy of removing your mask briefly to eat was a United policy. Since the end of Jan/early Feb, the United policy is no longer in effect. There's a Federal Government policy that superseded the United policy. I suggest writing to your congressman to complain about the ridiculousness and the unhealthiness of the "between bites and sips" rule. That is on the U.S. government, not United. And United enforces it because, like your local stores and restaurants, they don't want to get fined or shut down by the government for not enforcing it.

Adding this UA (re)tweet and photo here. Mods are free to move/merge. Thanks.

Plane-is-home May 30, 2021 4:41 pm

DEN West UC this morning: roughly a 3rd of the guests were not wearing masks or had them down going to or being at the coffee machine or buffet. Staff didn’t care

HNLbasedFlyer May 31, 2021 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 33291066)
DEN West UC this morning: roughly a 3rd of the guests were not wearing masks or had them down going to or being at the coffee machine or buffet. Staff didn’t care

Why would they (is it ultimately up to UC to enforce)? The day after the Illinois mask mandate ended - the ORD B18 club easily had over 50% of people not wearing masks when seated - I was there. All the blocked seating/social distancing was removed.

dinoscool3 May 31, 2021 6:40 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33291863)
Why would they (is it ultimately up to UC to enforce)? The day after the Illinois mask mandate ended - the ORD B18 club easily had over 50% of people not wearing masks when seated - I was there. All the blocked seating/social distancing was removed.

Because it is still a federal executive order that governs masks in US airports and airplanes—not state rules.

artvandalay May 31, 2021 8:54 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33291863)

As summer progresses and more and more governors loosen or completely eliminate lockdown rules, “masking” in airports is going to continue to diminish. OTOH, pax on AC are an FAA/airline captive audience.

fumje May 31, 2021 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 33291066)

Or perhaps staff cared quite a bit — about keeping all their teeth. :eek:

PushingTin May 31, 2021 12:26 pm

What the heck? I could see the nervous-Nelly’s wanting people to mask up on a plane, but in the airport?

WineCountryUA May 31, 2021 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin (Post 33292916)
What the heck? I could see the nervous-Nelly’s wanting people to mask up on a plane, but in the airport?

TSA extends transportation mask requirement until September 13
As a federal requirement and not UA specific, discussion of why this is more appropriate in other forums

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

manstein58 Feb 25, 2022 12:37 pm

Was in Florida this week where the Pandemic seems to be in everyone's rearview mirror. Jolted back to reality on flight from FLL to EWR. Purser wanted to be MVP on Team Apocalypse- he announced mask policy at least 8 times (I lost count) and seemed to really relish the part about what happens should a violation occur. Two year-olds watch out for this guy should your mask slip below your nose. Two or three times would have been fine. Spent the remainder of his time in the galley (loudly) discussing his personal life.

Repooc17 Feb 25, 2022 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58 (Post 34024605)
Was in Florida this week where the Pandemic seems to be in everyone's rearview mirror. Jolted back to reality on flight from FLL to EWR. Purser wanted to be MVP on Team Apocalypse- he announced mask policy at least 8 times (I lost count) and seemed to really relish the part about what happens should a violation occur. Two year-olds watch out for this guy should your mask slip below your nose. Two or three times would have been fine. Spent the remainder of his time in the galley (loudly) discussing his personal life.

Typical. I have observed many FAs either not masked at all, or not masked properly, and then turn around lecturing everyone else :rolleyes:

JerseyCityS Mar 5, 2022 8:56 pm

The federal mask mandate is scheduled to expire March 18. Anybody have any inside information if the airlines will follow? I can only hope so. I am ready to move on. If another variant comes, then we go back.