FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United IOS App data / cache file size???? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2023972-united-ios-app-data-cache-file-size.html)

mfirst Aug 25, 2020 7:51 pm

United IOS App data / cache file size????

I was cleaning out my phone and noticed that the United app takes up 1.8gigs!
....the app is 300meg
... and I have 1.5 gig in text and data?

why so much?
insights?

-michael

kevflyer Aug 25, 2020 7:55 pm

I have 229.7MB app size and 221MB documents & data.
Over time your documents and data will add up, which unfortunately cannot be deleted unless you delete the app as well.

So, to free that space up, you're going to have to delete the app and re-install it.

dmurphynj Aug 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Good question. The app size is fine, but 2GB in documents seems excessive, yeah?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f15bd4de2.jpeg

WineCountryUA Aug 25, 2020 9:10 pm

My Andriod App is 200 MB executable and 90+MB data.

Do you ever delete temp files?

seanp7 Aug 25, 2020 9:13 pm

Historical searches? Past trip records?

My App is 229 MB
Documents & Data only 130 MB.
iOS.

prestonh Aug 25, 2020 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst (Post 32630143)
I was cleaning out my phone and noticed that the United app takes up 1.8gigs!
....the app is 300meg
... and I have 1.5 gig in text and data?

why so much?
insights?

-michael

Probably larglyy a cache of the ife streamed by the app. If it wasn't coded to be scrubbed then it has to be cached somewhere on your device.

meducate Aug 26, 2020 5:53 am

Hi,

My app is 230.5 MB but my Documents & Data are 2.6 GB. I save all of my boarding passes in the Apple Wallet app; I wonder if that keeps them in the app cache as well.

RobOnLI Aug 26, 2020 9:05 am

The app stores every image, every piece of data you ever used I believe. At one point I also had over 2GB of data on my iOS app. So I deleted it, re-installed it and viola...cleared up a ton of space. The UA app is an awful iOS "citizen" and should be clearing its cache of useless images, old data, etc.

I probably last did this a couple of months ago, I'm traveling way less than normal (figure about 50%) and I'm back up to 1.35GB of documents & data already.

-RM

Duke777 Aug 26, 2020 11:36 am

Whoa I have almost 9GB!

physioprof Aug 26, 2020 2:23 pm

On Android you can easily delete cached data for any app. I take it from this discussion that iOS doesn't let you do this? I wonder if it will automatically delete cached app data if the device storage gets close to full?

cfischer Aug 26, 2020 2:38 pm

... checking right now. Thanks for altering me! Probably a lot of space I can free up on my iPad.

kevflyer Aug 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 32631913)
On Android you can easily delete cached data for any app. I take it from this discussion that iOS doesn't let you do this? I wonder if it will automatically delete cached app data if the device storage gets close to full?

iOS doesn't automatically delete. You need to delete the app to clear cache then reinstall. In fact, iOS lets you delete app but keep cache, it will not let you delete cache only.

Steve M Aug 26, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm at just under 200MB of cached data. I never use the IFE feature, and along with others that have suggested it, that's my guess as to what's causing some people's data figures to be so high.

mfirst Aug 26, 2020 7:53 pm

any major downside to deleting the app and reinstalling?

RobOnLI Aug 27, 2020 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 32632377)
I'm at just under 200MB of cached data. I never use the IFE feature, and along with others that have suggested it, that's my guess as to what's causing some people's data figures to be so high.

I never use the IFE/PFE feature of the app and I regularly delete my "flight status" list when things get old. However, I still wind up with gigs of data stored on iOS, even after a couple of months as referenced above.

No doubt IFE is not helping the problem. But that doesn't appear to be the main culprit IME.

-RM