Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Aircraft Cleanliness: Germ Free Grime? Or Stripping the Surface Finish?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2020, 10:40 am
DEN
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond

Lots of press releases from United regarding aircraft sanitation but at the expense of cleanliness?
UA299 DEN/LAX, 3 Aug 20, 5B
1 swipe of the armrest, center console with pull out tray, top of the seat in front of me (where people often touch on the way by...) using the alcohol wipe United offers ( which, btw, are a nice size and very wet ). Didn’t even get to the tray table before I saw this.....

Perhaps United doesn’t know the difference between cleanliness and sanitized. Feel free to post your own results.....

DEN
smartytravel likes this.

Last edited by DEN; Aug 4, 2020 at 10:52 am
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Is that actual dirt, or is the alcohol stripping a layer of the paint off?
WindowSeatFlyer and threecap like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:29 pm
DEN
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Is that actual dirt, or is the alcohol stripping a layer of the paint off?
I did wonder that myself, but I can’t imagine I was the first one to use an alcohol wipe on those three surfaces.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DEN
I did wonder that myself, but I can’t imagine I was the first one to use an alcohol wipe on those three surfaces.
We use the same alcohol wipes in the cockpit, it is removing the shiny finish off the yokes and making the paint more matte-like.

These cleaning pads are very strong.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The alcohol pads will lift dye off the “leather” seat covers... and grime ≠ COVID, though I think all of the hygiene theater measures will actually have an impact on other infections that are much more readily transmitted on surfaces.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Wonder what the impact on these cleaning materials with be on the life of the hard product?
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Wonder what the impact on these cleaning materials with be on the life of the hard product?
It can’t be good. In the early days of Covid I was getting carried away with wipes and sanitizer in my truck and I can now see a difference.

It might be clean but I didn’t do any favors to the leather or plastic in the process.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Heck, in the early days, I saw the skin on my hands getting dried out and cracking with all the handwashing I was doing.
seat38a likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Heck, in the early days, I saw the skin on my hands getting dried out and cracking with all the handwashing I was doing.
Excessively hot water will do that. Warm water is fine and won't damage your skin nearly as badly.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Because we all wear flip flops in Hawaii I was using wipes on my feet daily. Huge mistake...
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Because we all wear flip flops in Hawaii I was using wipes on my feet daily. Huge mistake...
Do not discount the power of a protective layer of dirt on feet and autos.
ekwang, EWR764, SFO 1K and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 5:59 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
What is the strength of alcohol in these cleaning pads?

100% (ethanol or isopropanol) is much more effective at stripping paint, dissolving most stuff, and drying out skin, but actually less effective at killing bacteria and viruses than the 65-80% in most hand sanitizers. It would be better to put some 70% alcohol on a napkin or paper towel and wipe with that instead.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Maybe that's partially why SWA is reducing the amount of cleaning between flights.(In addition to turn around times)
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by bpe

100% (ethanol or isopropanol) is much more effective at stripping paint, dissolving most stuff, and drying out skin, but actually less effective at killing bacteria and viruses than the 65-80% in most hand sanitizers. It would be better to put some 70% alcohol on a napkin or paper towel and wipe with that instead.
70% (maybe 75%, but I’m pretty sure it said 70% when I looked today)
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:57 pm
DEN
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpe

70%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.