Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's SFO-PVG operations, back to non-stop -- 30 Jan 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by STS-134
I'm surprised that South Korea is allowing UA to do this. If any of the SFO-ICN layover crew test positive, wouldn't South Korea do exactly the same thing though?
It is not UA specific. DL is already doing it.

I am sure there are policies and procedures DL and UA have to follow. It is not just a blanket welcome!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by STS-134
I'm surprised that South Korea is allowing UA to do this. If any of the SFO-ICN layover crew test positive, wouldn't South Korea do exactly the same thing though?
The current PRC entry policy requires a 14-day quarantine (there is a new procedure that permits Koreans to short-cut this though), and I'm not aware of any exemptions for air crew. Even if this policy is relaxed, it is still in the best interests of United to keep its crews airside in Shanghai because if they enter the country and test positive, the flights themselves will be at risk. Korea seems to be considerably more lenient/forgiving on these fronts.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
The current PRC entry policy requires a 14-day quarantine (there is a new procedure that permits Koreans to short-cut this though), and I'm not aware of any exemptions for air crew. Even if this policy is relaxed, it is still in the best interests of United to keep its crews airside in Shanghai because if they enter the country and test positive, the flights themselves will be at risk. Korea seems to be considerably more lenient/forgiving on these fronts.
True. DL and UA did not need to add a stopover to any other long haul destination, so it is China who is being overly draconian.
SPN Lifer and twomonger like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I would certainly hope that if any member of a crew that's supposed to fly any specific flight tested positive, UA would immediately cancel the flight and not risk exposing their pax to SARS-CoV-2. Whether they're turning around at PVG or overnighting at ICN. UA's decision to stop over at ICN just because South Korea is more lenient does not inspire confidence. UA really should be trying to show that they're doing everything possible to prevent pax from becoming exposed, including putting the entire crew into quarantine if any crew member or passenger on a flight tests positive on arrival.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by blug
True. DL and UA did not need to add a stopover to any other long haul destination, so it is China who is being overly draconian.
They both still have permission to fly nonstop. If there isn't already a flight crew exemption for the 14 day quarantine, I'm guessing it wouldn't be especially hard for them to get this reduced to the standard length of their layovers, but the crews presumably wouldn't like spending their entire layovers sealed up in a hotel.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It is not bookable yet.
I am trying to see if I can get onto the first flight on July 8
I have been trying to book SFO-PVG, SFO-CTU and EWR-PVG since early this month.

Since I didn't know which date/route UA would run, I booked 10 tickets on scattered days in August.

Last week, managed to grab a standard J award at 270K miles for EWR-SFO-PVG in August after rumor went out about SFO-PVG.

It's a lot of miles for one-way, but UA wants $13,500 for the ticket. Y was briefly available at $4,000 one-way.

Of course, SFO-PVG is now zeroed out for Wednesday/Saturday in July and August.

The funny thing is, UA is still selling PVG-EWR for most days in August!! Nice try to get some cash......
Old Jun 27, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
some UA857 pax was receiving message from United as follows, will United somehow require negative test results for China flight in additiona to face-covering etc.?

"United strongly urges our passengers to obtain a COVID-19 test in the U.S. and confirm a negative result within 48 hours before traveling. If this doesn’t work for your travel plans, you can rebook your flight or apply the value of your ticket toward another destination. Please use the United app, visit united.com or call us at 1-800-UNITED-1 to check out your options."
Old Jun 27, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I know. It has been well reported.
Rather than wasting more time using United.com and United App, I called GS agent and she made a few calls, and I am told to call back on Monday as 857/858 (scheduled for the next a few weeks) have been locked by inventory management from bookings. United.Com and United App are still showing the direct flights based on the old schedule.

Sometimes, the best way is to call. I may be still challenged to get seats on the flights scheduled in the first a few weeks, but at least speaking to GS agent provided me with some comfort that the flights are under the control of inventory manage and there is still a hope......
There are people booked on non-Wed/Sat UA857 as well as UA86 (EWR-PVG) whose reservations were recently cancelled.
I'd be surprised if UA opens up any seats on Wed/Sat UA857 to new bookings (even for GS), rather than trying their best to accommodate those passengers, many of whom are Chinese students and visitors who are desperately trying to get home.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
The funny thing is, UA is still selling PVG-EWR for most days in August!! Nice try to get some cash......
If I'm currently booked on EWR-PVG in August, I'd want UA to keep it on the schedule if there's the smallest glimmer of hope that it will actually fly.
If UA takes it off the schedule and cancels my ticket, only to add it back later, I'd be screwed. This is what happened to some of DL's China flights.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Juventini
some UA857 pax was receiving message from United as follows, will United somehow require negative test results for China flight in additiona to face-covering etc.?
My preferred hypothesis is that UA is mandating the pre-tests because bringing CV positive people to China is a big no-no. I mentioned that crews testing positive would disastrous...passengers aren't much better (for UA's fate) as far as my understanding goes.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by blug
If I'm currently booked on EWR-PVG in August, I'd want UA to keep it on the schedule if there's the smallest glimmer of hope that it will actually fly.
If UA takes it off the schedule and cancels my ticket, only to add it back later, I'd be screwed. This is what happened to some of DL's China flights.
There is zero chance EWR-PVG will run in August.

Called GS desk to ask SFO-PVG availability. There is none for July, August and Sept.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
My preferred hypothesis is that UA is mandating the pre-tests because bringing CV positive people to China is a big no-no.
Based on the posted email, they are not mandating it, but merely "urging" it.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why doesn’t UA start selling PVG-GUM again to get some more cash? Just about as likely to run as most of the other tickets they are selling for July.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Why doesn’t UA start selling PVG-GUM again to get some more cash? Just about as likely to run as most of the other tickets they are selling for July.
​​​​​Since they only get two flights per week for now, it makes sense for them to play their best card.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​Since they only get two flights per week for now, it makes sense for them to play their best card.
Thats my point. They’re selling tickets for flights everyday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.