Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's to become of LAX for United post-COVID19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...

As LAX is my base, I found this article - while speculative - disheartening. With the closure of pilot bases for any long-haul flights, seems like LAX is now purely a United Domestic/North America station?

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-lax-hub-future/
Old May 4, 2020, 4:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
....With the closure of pilot bases for any long-haul flights, seems like LAX is now purely a United Domestic/North America station? ....
That may be a premature statement
Originally Posted by LarryJ
You don't need a pilot base to have flights. Only exception is the ulta long haul flights which a fatigue risk management program.

Trips can be flown as a "W" trip. i.e. SFO-NRT-LAX-HKG-SFO, EWR-xxx-IAD-xxx-EWR, etc.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
By taking away all 787 and 777 aircraft from LAX, there's not many international places it could serve.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
By taking away all 787 and 777 aircraft from LAX, there's not many international places it could serve.
see the pilot's statement that was quoted. There is a difference between being based and flights / aircraft passing thru.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It wasn't a statement, but a question

And I had clearly stated that the link itself said it was speculative, with nothing confirmed.

But when you read between the lines and begin to extrapolate various comments from UA brass and actions taken, LAX has been largely left out of the picture for UA long hauls for the foreseeable future.
schley likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA would be foolish to abandon LAX as a hub (IMO), but in this brave new world, focusing on the hub where they have the most direct competition doesn't make a ton of sense. If they can maintain decent O&D domestic routes, that is probably enough as a starting point.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
As LAX is my base, I found this article - while speculative - disheartening. With the closure of pilot bases for any long-haul flights, seems like LAX is now purely a United Domestic/North America station?

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-lax-hub-future/
AA might keep LAX as one of its hubs.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
There's always Canada and Mexico.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
As others have said, closing pilot base does not mean cutting long-haul international flights completely.

I remember when PMUA had 48 747s in its fleet at one time and they flew 747s to destinations around the world from all their hubs (minus Denver), JFK, EWR and MIA without having 747 pilot bases at all the hubs nor MIA.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 5, 2020 at 8:46 am
Old May 4, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
As others have said, closing pilot base does not mean cutting long-haul international flights completely.

I remember when PMUA had 48 747s in its fleet at one time and they flew 747s to destinations around the world from all their hubs (minus Denver, JFK, EWR and MIA without having 747 pilot bases at all the hubs nor MIA.
This is true and I mentioned this in my story...we may see 787 pilots from SFO or IAH flying LAX routes, except that United said LAX would not see any 787s "likely" for at least a year. That's a broader statement than no pilot base.

And I just cannot see UA suddenly putting 777s back on TYO, PVG, MEL, SYD, or LHR.

But sad news for LAX, whether it remains an official hub or not.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I may be wrong, I don’t know much about United LAX traffic, but hasn’t the airline been slowly hacking away at LAX for years? It’s disheartening to close the pilot base there but as others have pointed out, you don’t necessarily need a local pilot base for international traffic. Cheers -
Old May 4, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by n198ua
I may be wrong, I don’t know much about United LAX traffic, but hasn’t the airline been slowly hacking away at LAX for years? It’s disheartening to close the pilot base there but as others have pointed out, you don’t necessarily need a local pilot base for international traffic. Cheers -
Maybe you read it differently than I do and United refused to clarify when I asked, but here's what the memo said referring to the 787:

Originally Posted by Internal Memo to United Pilots
This fleet will be the workhorse of our international operation for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, the aircraft will not be flying out of LAX for some time, possibly over a year.
Here, the memo talks about the aircraft flying, not just a pilot base ceasing to exist.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
This is true and I mentioned this in my story...we may see 787 pilots from SFO or IAH flying LAX routes, except that United said LAX would not see any 787s "likely" for at least a year. That's a broader statement than no pilot base.

And I just cannot see UA suddenly putting 777s back on TYO, PVG, MEL, SYD, or LHR.

But sad news for LAX, whether it remains an official hub or not.
If AA maintains LAX as one of its hubs, would you switch back?
Old May 4, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I know we are in uncharted territory, but with the guaranteed 757's + 787-10 PS, LAX renovations, and Polaris Lounge, LAX was starting to clean up rather well. Would be sad to see non-guaranteed P.S. lie flats...
drgreg, MatthewLAX and tstauck like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I think there are two parts to the question relative to eliminating the LAX pilot base. One is what others have already picked up on specific to O&D of international long haul.

The other is how competitive does UA want to be in defending its NYC/EWR-LAX t.p.s. turf since it has already given up competing BOS-LAX and IAD-LAX in terms of premium transcontinental.

Without 752s to offer anything premium, can UA compete with only 738s/739s and the occasional 789 into the NYC market?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.