Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aircraft changes to premium transcon flights; widebody to narrow or nonlayflat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft changes to premium transcon flights; widebody to narrow or nonlayflat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just because it's my birthday?
Jedi Master? May 4th?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When cargo is a factor, UA will use widebodies.
Great point! That must be the reason.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
To clarify, I was talking about "economics" from the airline's perspective, not the overall economy--I've clarified that in my OP. Apologies for the miscommunication.

That said, my concern still stands that this could be extended into some form of "market research" to see how the market responds to non-flatbed seats on the transcons, once we have some semblance of a functioning air travel market again. I just wanted to raise this point while setting aside the economics of UA's current situation (which probably justifies the move in the short term).
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
... That said, my concern still stands that this could be extended into some form of "market research" to see how the market responds to non-flatbed seats on the transcons, once we have some semblance of a functioning air travel market again. I just wanted to raise this point while setting aside the economics of UA's current situation (which probably justifies the move in the short term).
It is clearly the later driving this, all the future domestic flying will be smaller mainline and most of the widebodies are being stored. UA is trying minimize costs, major downsizing to hopefully get thru this,

Any market research gather in the next few months / distressed conditions would only be valid if the next few months become the norm for the future.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just because it's my birthday?
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Jedi Master? May 4th?
Happy early birthday, to you and my sister! 5/4 is just a huge schedule change, reflecting what Kirby was talking about in one of the town halls when he alluded to "starting from scratch." I go into it in more detail in the schedule thread, but it is generally a radical change in service patterns, frequency, day-of-week flying, stand-downs of entire fleets, etc. It also represents the first schedule where UA is required to meet certain service minimums at various airports, under the CARES Act.

Pretty dramatic.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Looks like they are only charging $679 in business/first class one-way, even for flights within the next 2 weeks. Also, I guess they are not proactively blocking middle seats in coach?

There are a lot of flights after Memorial Day with sold out first class cabin.

Originally Posted by hockey7711
I used PP to upgrade to FC on a 777-200. A lot of empty seats, a lot of space between pax.
Now its a 738 with 16 seats totally full in FC.

At least if they had changed it to a PMUA 757 there would be 28 seats upfront, and more space if they controlled the upgrades.

Alaska is blocking all middle seats in coach and limiting upgrades to FC for social distancing.
Unfortunately, they parked all PMUA 757.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by EWR764
Happy early birthday, to you and my sister! 5/4 is just a huge schedule change, reflecting what Kirby was talking about in one of the town halls when he alluded to "starting from scratch." I go into it in more detail in the schedule thread, but it is generally a radical change in service patterns, frequency, day-of-week flying, stand-downs of entire fleets, etc. It also represents the first schedule where UA is required to mneet certain service minimums at various airports, under the CARES Act.

Pretty dramatic.

Interesting... I will have to look at that thread. But a quick question here - is that a schedule change that is going to be loaded May 4th or one that is already loaded effective May 4?

Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan
Interesting... I will have to look at that thread. But a quick question here - is that a schedule change that is going to be loaded May 4th or one that is already loaded effective May 4?

Thanks.
Already loaded and for sale.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Unfortunately, they parked all PMUA 757.
As of May, not just PMUA, but every 757... and 767... and A320... and 737-700...
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...

As of May, not just PMUA, but every 757... and 767... and A320... and 737-700...

Thanks - when you say "as of May" when is that through - just the end of May? It does not appear to be past that as I am seeing some 757 in the schedule (for example IAD-SAN) in June.

Last edited by fwfdan; Apr 21, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks - when you say "as of May" when is that through - just the end of May? It does not appear to be past that as I am seeing some 757 in the schedule (for example IAD-SAN) in June.
June schedules are a work of fiction, I would put zero trusting anything on the June schedule. You dont park planes for a few weeks.
sbm12, EWR764, rmadisonwi and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:24 pm

The schedule beyond May is completely aspirational, insofar as nobody (maybe not even United) knows exactly what it's going to look like. In an ideal world, UA would be operating everything as filed, but I don't think anyone expects that to be the case, especially with reports that June will see similar cuts to May in the order of ~90%. So, I would anticipate June ends up more like May, with more optimism toward the end of the month.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:15 pm

I would’ve thought the 753 and 763 would have a few frames flying. That’s going to hurt those pilots badly.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by UAL757222
I would’ve thought the 753 and 763 would have a few frames flying. That’s going to hurt those pilots badly.
They'll still get their guaranteed monthly minimum pay, unless they took a voluntary leave or reduced-pay line. Just, no flying save for maybe a trip to TK for a few sim landings if needed.
UAL757222 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When cargo is a factor, UA will use widebodies.
There is no cargo demand on PS routes?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
There is no cargo demand on PS routes?
UA is going to narrowbodies for all domestic flights so domestically cargo must not be sufficient issue for UA (there is probably sufficient cargo capacity domestically from traditional cargo carriers). Narrowbodies can handle some cargo and mail deleviers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.