FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Thinking about coming back to MR game... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016192-thinking-about-coming-back-mr-game.html)

escapefromphl Apr 22, 2020 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Lori_Q (Post 32314755)
To the OP - Yes, do those MRs! As you probably know, the spend requirements have been cut in half for earning 2021 status. The qualification for 1K is $9k spend and 28 segments!

No it just doesn't make sense. In 2009/2010 you could have earned 700K+ RDM's for $9K spend. After various devaluations thats at least equivalent to 1 million miles in todays currency. For $9K spend now you would earn about 100K miles. Which will get you less than 1 roundtrip in business class. Stay home invest the money and look out for a cheap business class flight when it's safe to travel again.

UA_Flyer Apr 22, 2020 10:33 am

To the OP - Yes, do those MRs! As you probably know, the spend requirements have been cut in half for earning 2021 status. The qualification for 1K is $9k spend and 28 segments!

Thanks to the status extension until January 2022, I can cut back on mileage-running this year. I am planning on taking at least a couple of long-haul MRs because (1) I'm anxious to get back out into the world, (2) loads look like they'll be low in the near future, and (3) I can make progress toward 3MM at a low price and in relative comfort (e.g. easy upgrades and empty Coach middle seats). With the spend I've accumulated so far this year, getting the $9k and another batch of PlusPoints should be attainable.

I'm planning to save this year's travel budget for big MRs next year in order to make 2022 1K easier to attain.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 32314812)
No it just doesn't make sense. In 2009/2010 you could have earned 700K+ RDM's for $9K spend. After various devaluations thats at least equivalent to 1 million miles in todays currency. For $9K spend now you would earn about 100K miles. Which will get you less than 1 roundtrip in business class. Stay home invest the money and look out for a cheap business class flight when it's safe to travel again.

Both posts are making valid points. It is the term "Mileage Run" is no longer valid and also don't make economic sense in a traditional sense that MR is referring to RDM.

Lori_Q is talking about status run for 1K in 2022 and also MM status run to achieve 3 MM status. At the same time, earn additional PlusPoints in 2022. Without achieving status as the goal, the traditional Mileage Run does not make sense because the earning of RDM. It does make sense for Status Run and MM Status Run based on personal considerations.

escapefromphl's post makes perfect sense that Mileage Run is a thing of past. Those who are looking for low fare to generate RDM should proceed with caution.

PDILLM Apr 25, 2020 3:54 pm

I'm planning to save this year's travel budget for big MRs next year in order to make 2022 1K easier to attain.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm 200k miles from 3mm status, so makes sense for me. If I wasn't so close I would stop doing MR/Status runs.

Lori_Q Apr 26, 2020 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by PDILLM (Post 32324619)
I'm in a similar boat. I'm 200k miles from 3mm status, so makes sense for me. If I wasn't so close I would stop doing MR/Status runs.

Yes, running MRs makes sense if you're that close to 3MM. I expect to travel for the 4-7 years remaining in my career. The ~650k BIS miles I have left seem doable -- and 1K status is essential as I become older and crankier about my comfort.

UA_Flyer, thanks for clarifying the difference between old-fashioned MRs and the current status qualification requirements. My strategy for 2022 has two prongs: Sufficient spend on business travel to earn 1K, and low-priced, long-distance MRs to rack up miles toward 3MM (which also generate a few 1K PQPs).

I love mileage runs. I will take any excuse to fly a very, very long way from home... :cool: