FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Thinking about coming back to MR game... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016192-thinking-about-coming-back-mr-game.html)

MStieb Apr 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Thinking about coming back to MR game...

Hello, I've been out of the MR game since about 2010. Long time. I didn't know where to post this, so I thought my old friends in the MileagePlus forum may chat with me!
I think as the airline industry recovers from the Covid19 downturn, they will incentivize travel by air. I think they will reward loyalty like never before to get us flying again. Not to mention the amazing fuel futures contracts they can get right now keeping fares down!

paperwastage Apr 20, 2020 9:22 pm

good luck, read this thread first https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ed-2020-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...t-sectors.html

then likely go find another carrier to MR on (or fly UA and accure on another *a program)

WineCountryUA Apr 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by MStieb (Post 32310901)
Thinking about coming back to MR game....

For what purpose?

MR generally no longer make as much sense.

For the US3, award miles are based on ticket cost and status has a ticket price component, so cheap tickets are not as rewarding as before.

There is a new twist to the game based on flying partners, Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

You are probably correct there will be incentives to get back in the air again but suspect that it was still be based on $$$

Which carrier / allaince are you thinking about focusing on?

jsloan Apr 20, 2020 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32310956)
For what purpose?

MR generally no longer make as much sense.

For the US3, award miles are based on ticket cost and status has a ticket price component, so cheap tickets are not as rewarding as before.

To be fair, to someone who stepped away in 2010, the 2020 FFP model is going to look like an alien planet. :(

whitethunder Apr 21, 2020 1:56 am

Do it OP, UA needs the revenue, book some trips, get flying, work on MM status!!

LondonElite Apr 21, 2020 2:27 am

Originally Posted by MStieb (Post 32310901)
Hello, I've been out of the MR game since about 2010. Long time. I didn't know where to post this, so I thought my old friends in the MileagePlus forum may chat with me!
I think as the airline industry recovers from the Covid19 downturn, they will incentivize travel by air. I think they will reward loyalty like never before to get us flying again. Not to mention the amazing fuel futures contracts they can get right now keeping fares down!

It’s a bit different these days. This year aside, you’ll need to fork over the better part of $25,000 to hit 1K, so a few dozen premium flights to make up the flight count. No one cares about distance flown anymore.

Kmxu Apr 21, 2020 5:29 am

OP, you will be the first person to request MR under the PQF/PQP scheme on this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...lp-needed.html

garykung Apr 21, 2020 5:33 am

OP - we can all have the room for imagination.

The reality is simple - UA does not have the chance to test out the new PQP system in term of how it affects revenue. So PQP will stay at least for 2021, i.e. whatever announced will not be changed.

If things are pretty worse by then, UA can think of something.

radonc1 Apr 21, 2020 6:16 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32311323)
It’s a bit different these days. This year aside, you’ll need to fork over the better part of $25,000 to hit 1K, so a few dozen premium flights to make up the flight count. No one cares about distance flown anymore.

Well said
As far as UA (and the other airlines) are concerned, the only thing that will matter for status will be the bucks you insert into the system.

I could foresee a passenger writing a check to UA for $25K and being granted 1K status for the year. Double that, and you get GS status. All you have to do is spend it over 365 days or lose it. (I believe that such a program for businesses did or does exist)

The issue is what you get for your "purchase". Early boarding, paper boarding cards with your status flashily displayed on it, and the dubious ability to be upgraded in the front of the plane (perhaps next to an Covid infected passenger :rolleyes:).

Actually, I suspect that the differences between any elite status passenger, other than oral and written recognition, will be minimal in the new UA. They just will not be able to afford anything else.

UA_Flyer Apr 21, 2020 6:31 am

Perhaps the first thing to learn in 2020 (after being away for 10 years) is to get use to the term:

Status Run

Mileage Run - the term may be superseded in the UA forum already.

May be there should be a definition for “Million-Mile Status Run” but I compare it to running a physical marathon of 26.2 miles within a certain time period (pending on the event). I have run five marathons and flew over 4.5 million miles on United. If I don’t fly on other people’s money, running a physical marathon is a lot easier. Cheaper and definitely do your body and health a lot good than sitting in an aluminum tube doing no exercises.

WineCountryUA Apr 21, 2020 10:18 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 32311652)
I could foresee a passenger writing a check to UA for $25K and being granted 1K status for the year. Double that, and you get GS status. All you have to do is spend it over 365 days or lose it. (I believe that such a program for businesses did or does exist)...

You are probably thinking about the long available United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated] available for individuals and businesses with pricing levels that include up to GS

But I doubt this is what a 2010 MRer is looking for

LondonElite Apr 21, 2020 10:30 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 32311652)
Well said
As far as UA (and the other airlines) are concerned, the only thing that will matter for status will be the bucks you insert into the system.

I could foresee a passenger writing a check to UA for $25K and being granted 1K status for the year. Double that, and you get GS status. All you have to do is spend it over 365 days or lose it. (I believe that such a program for businesses did or does exist)

The issue is what you get for your "purchase". Early boarding, paper boarding cards with your status flashily displayed on it, and the dubious ability to be upgraded in the front of the plane (perhaps next to an Covid infected passenger :rolleyes:).

Actually, I suspect that the differences between any elite status passenger, other than oral and written recognition, will be minimal in the new UA. They just will not be able to afford anything else.

It’s already there. Was going to buy it this year but glad I didn’t. Can’t post the link as I’m on a phone.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 32311702)
Perhaps the first thing to learn in 2020 (after being away for 10 years) is to get use to the term:

Status Run

Mileage Run - the term may be superseded in the UA forum already.

May be there should be a definition for “Million-Mile Status Run” but I compare it to running a physical marathon of 26.2 miles within a certain time period (pending on the event). I have run five marathons and flew over 4.5 million miles on United. If I don’t fly on other people’s money, running a physical marathon is a lot easier. Cheaper and definitely do your body and health a lot good than sitting in an aluminum tube doing no exercises.

Just call it a bank run!

entropy Apr 21, 2020 2:44 pm

How about just save your money and your premature aging from being onboard all that time.

MR for RDM makes no sense anymore and you can buy cheap J/F flights or pay for upgrades.

You are making a very bad investment.

gene2632 Apr 21, 2020 10:46 pm

Last winter I was thinking about doing some Miles Runs to make a million BIS miles I needed about 100K miles and when I really thought about it I invested the money in my comfort now.... Even thinking about it now when travel opens up and fares should be cheap I am still not going there....I am actually looking at spending 18 months right now not getting on an airplane. Nice feeling.

Lori_Q Apr 22, 2020 8:24 am

To the OP - Yes, do those MRs! As you probably know, the spend requirements have been cut in half for earning 2021 status. The qualification for 1K is $9k spend and 28 segments!

Thanks to the status extension until January 2022, I can cut back on mileage-running this year. I am planning on taking at least a couple of long-haul MRs because (1) I'm anxious to get back out into the world, (2) loads look like they'll be low in the near future, and (3) I can make progress toward 3MM at a low price and in relative comfort (e.g. easy upgrades and empty Coach middle seats). With the spend I've accumulated so far this year, getting the $9k and another batch of PlusPoints should be attainable.

I'm planning to save this year's travel budget for big MRs next year in order to make 2022 1K easier to attain.