FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

zombietooth Mar 11, 20 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingkev (Post 32171972)
So we should have the same policy domestically then ?

I would say that US businesses, states and municipalities already are taking measures that effectively accomplish these goals; the NBA just cancelled their season, there will be no fans allowed for "March Madness", Washington State banned gatherings of more than 250, Austin cancelled the SXSW Festival, Coachella was cancelled as well, etc., etc.

All of the actions by private entities were either taken out of altruism or fear of liability. Motivation doesn't matter because the net effect is more social distancing. The governmental actions are spottier, but are eventually becoming effective.

If you are asking about a flight ban inside the US, I would say that we are nowhere near the wildfire that is currently Italy and so a flight ban isn't necessary. If this thing gets totally out of hand, who knows what could happen, but my opinion is that this outbreak will calm down in a few months in the US.

J.Edward Mar 11, 20 9:39 pm

Evening All,

This thread is to discuss operational effects on UA arising from COVID19. Of particular note right now are family and friends of members who're having to scramble to make the best of the just-announced European restrictions. Please keep the discussion here focused on this topic.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA form co-mod

zoomgirl Mar 11, 20 9:58 pm

Currently in the Seychelles, and have a United award flight booked home Saturday/Sunday routing through FRA. Any wisdom from the FT crowd? How did it work with the China ban? Did United cancel all of their China-US flights immediately, or did a few still fly, but with less passengers?

Weíre assuming we could get stuck in Frankfurt (our flight from Africa to Europe is on LH from ADD), but that some flights will need to fly out to get Americans home from Europe or other locations?

rotnkornkid Mar 11, 20 10:01 pm

Does anyone know if United will refund PlusPoints if I have an itinerary that has cleared but I need to cancel/reschedule. Context = I am in Australia and am holding a flight back to the US on Saturday, with plans to keep pushing it back day-by-day in case something changes and I need to get home ASAP. Wondering if I should apply PlusPoints to it day-by-day or not. Thanks!

britNY Mar 11, 20 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 32172129)
Evening All,

This thread is to discuss operational effects on UA arising from COVID19. Of particular note right now are family and friends of members who're having to scramble to make the best of the just-announced European restrictions. Please keep the discussion here focused on this topic.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA form co-mod

just at a loss now. Meant to go to MNL on 3/28 and already arranged to come back via IST on Turkish And avoid NRT. Now not sure if thatís doable and donít anyway want to expose elderly relatives to this virus. Think will just cxl and rebook to go to somewhere in the US

jsloan Mar 11, 20 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by zoomgirl (Post 32172206)
Currently in the Seychelles, and have a United award flight booked home Saturday/Sunday routing through FRA. Any wisdom from the FT crowd? How did it work with the China ban? Did United cancel all of their China-US flights immediately, or did a few still fly, but with less passengers?

It took UA about a week to wind down the China flights. My advice would be, if you can get some sooner, do so.

Originally Posted by zoomgirl (Post 32172206)
Weíre assuming we could get stuck in Frankfurt (our flight from Africa to Europe is on LH from ADD), but that some flights will need to fly out to get Americans home from Europe or other locations?

You would think so, but there are no guarantees. The situation changes every day.

PVDtoDEL Mar 11, 20 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by britNY (Post 32172229)
just at a loss now. Meant to go to MNL on 3/28 and already arranged to come back via IST on Turkish And avoid NRT. Now not sure if thatís doable and donít anyway want to expose elderly relatives to this virus. Think will just cxl and rebook to go to somewhere in the US

Flights from IST will continue to operate normally for now..

iah713 Mar 11, 20 10:29 pm

Here's the actual text of the Proclamation, which (unsurprisingly) is very different from that presented in the TV speech. Exemptions are pretty wide, but it will be hard to try to use UK as loophole as some have suggested above. Can't post URL's so try this:

(WH dot gov) presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

mozilla Mar 11, 20 10:37 pm

Yes, the actual text is very different. Not "all of Europe except the UK," several European countries are exempt as it is just Schengen. Additionally, aliens can be eligible for one of the many exceptions based on their personal situations. The President said there would be a cargo ban from Europe, but cargo remains free to fly in both directions (with US pilots). Kudos to WH staff for quickly releasing the text.

BBSHOPSINGER Mar 11, 20 10:45 pm

I'm trying desperately to rescue my retirement celebration trip I have been planning for years, and booked starting 11 months ago.

My wife and I have a round the world award itinerary that includes a connection in FRA and a stop in BUD. The rest of the locations are safe (for now). We're scheduled to leave on 3/24.

Do you think it's worthwhile for me to stay on hold and try to change my stop to LHR? I would need to get United to change my first itinerary to a flight direct from somewhere in the US to LHR, and then at least the first leg of my next booking to SYD. Am I wasting my time? United has always been very accommodating in the past.

BBSHOPSINGER Mar 11, 20 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla (Post 32172344)
Yes, the actual text is very different. Not "all of Europe except the UK," several European countries are exempt as it is just Schengen. Additionally, aliens can be eligible for one of the many exceptions based on their personal situations. The President said there would be a cargo ban from Europe, but cargo remains free to fly in both directions (with US pilots). Kudos to WH staff for quickly releasing the text.

I watched the speech and heard him say that there would no cargo ban.

catocony Mar 11, 20 10:48 pm

It's a death spiral for travel at the moment. As more and more people cancel, or have governments shut down routes, then more and more flights will be cancelled. Even if you have a flight make it, hotels may start closing, or restaurants, museums, etc. Treat the next month or two as you would a major snowstorm - wait it out. I wouldn't go on a vacation at this point, not out of fear for the virus, but just due to the travel headaches and the chances of a lot of stuff being closed wherever you go.

jsloan Mar 11, 20 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER (Post 32172352)
IDo you think it's worthwhile for me to stay on hold and try to change my stop to LHR? I would need to get United to change my first itinerary to a flight direct from somewhere in the US to LHR, and then at least the first leg of my next booking to SYD. Am I wasting my time? United has always been very accommodating in the past.

Wasting your time? I guess it depends upon your perspective. If you can find award space, UA will certainly make the changes for you, and award space may be rather plentiful. But nobody knows what flights are actually going to be operating in two weeks, and there's a nonzero chance you'll get stuck in some foreign country. What is the trip worth to you?

I would probably be planning to push things back further, because I expect the travel restrictions to get worse before they get better... and they change every day, so while you might be fine when you leave, you could be spending your entire trip on the phone with UA, trying to change your next leg.

cesco.g Mar 11, 20 10:52 pm

Got a friend booked on a flight from ZRH; EWR & IAD still show seats, incl saverawards available for TH 3/12.

mozilla Mar 11, 20 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER (Post 32172354)
I watched the speech and heard him say that there would no cargo ban.

... these prohibitions will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval. Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ddress-nation/