FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

uastarflyer Mar 1, 20 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by t18c97 (Post 32130408)
Flight 19 to Milan for today was cancelled. UAL web site just says 'Your flight was cancelled because of an unexpected operational issue'. I check and the inbound plane arrived early so it wasn't the cause. I wonder if UAL is having trouble with getting flight crew to fly into Milan? Your flight is canceled because of an unexpected operational issue. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

see this

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32130030)
UA is suspending EWR-MXP, too. Tonight’s is canceled and look out for an official announcement later today.

dcchi Mar 1, 20 4:41 pm

“We are strategically managing our Atlantic and domestic service, mindful of travel directives from the federal government, fluctuating demand and of course, the advice of public health experts,'' Munoz said. "Based on current trends, it is likely that additional schedule reductions will be necessary.''

Given that “the advice of public health experts” is to not travel to Italy, I’d have to say that Munoz is not mindful of that advice at all, and is clearly focused instead on making decisions based on demand...which they will then claim is for their customers’ health and safety after the fact.

Kmxu Mar 1, 20 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by t18c97 (Post 32130408)
Flight 19 to Milan for today was cancelled. UAL web site just says 'Your flight was cancelled because of an unexpected operational issue'. I check and the inbound plane arrived early so it wasn't the cause. I wonder if UAL is having trouble with getting flight crew to fly into Milan? Your flight is canceled because of an unexpected operational issue. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

This is quite abrupt and disruptive to the travelers, compared to what UA did to the flights to China. I guess that UA FAs might force the company to act quickly.

cfischer Mar 1, 20 6:04 pm

Loads are very very light into May and later. We had booked earlier and now EWR-GVA and ZRH-IAD for our dates are PZ9 !!! along with IN7 and IN5 :o

that can't be good for UA ... I know a lot of travel into the summer is currently being cancelled or postponed at my company

jsloan Mar 1, 20 6:11 pm

AA has announced a general change fee waiver similar to AS and B6. I suspect DL and UA will follow over the next two days. AA’s is a little odd, though: no change fee provided you make the change more than 14 days prior to departure. Given how rapidly the situation seems to be changing, that seems a little restrictive, although I suppose you’re just counting on the airline to cancel flights or issue a location-specific waiver if you’re less than 14 days out.

t18c97 Mar 1, 20 6:11 pm

We’re on 19 late May in J and have been watching the number of business standby. Prior to this mess it almost always went out full, since then there have been days with only 3 people up front.

hirohito888 Mar 2, 20 7:06 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 32108030)
I have a EWR-NRT-ICN flight next week. I'm fine with flying EWR-NRT (and then to elsewhere from NRT). Is it worth calling about NRT-ICN since waiver doesn't include refund on unused portion, or should I just no-show for that last segment?

Called UA about dropping last segment and the agent said that because of destination change, ticket re-fares to $5,000. And because OZ is still operating NRT-ICN, they can't drop it for me. I said no thanks. Guess I'll just no-show that last segment. I already have a separate ticket booked on TG.

Kind of annoying because AA South Korea waiver allows change in destination:

Change your origin or destination city to Tokyo Haneda, Japan (HND) or Tokyo Narita, Japan (NRT)

fed planner Mar 2, 20 7:39 am

Is United changing award travel without a fare (more miles) increase? Have tickets into VCE, out of GVA in late May/early June, so not ready to make any changes just yet, but always good to know what the options are and understand the situation is dynamic. Just looking for current experiences.

TravellingMan Mar 2, 20 7:46 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 32132301)
Called UA about dropping last segment and the agent said that because of destination change, ticket re-fares to $5,000. And because OZ is still operating NRT-ICN, they can't drop it for me. I said no thanks. Guess I'll just no-show that last segment. I already have a separate ticket booked on TG.

Kind of annoying because AA South Korea waiver allows change in destination:

This is surprising as US has a travel alert on South Korea. I would not bother calling again as you did your best, unless you have time to try with another agent.

jsloan Mar 2, 20 8:50 am

Originally Posted by fed planner (Post 32132381)
Is United changing award travel without a fare (more miles) increase? Have tickets into VCE, out of GVA in late May/early June, so not ready to make any changes just yet, but always good to know what the options are and understand the situation is dynamic. Just looking for current experiences.

Yes, if you're keeping the cities the same and if your dates are covered by a waiver. (So far, yours aren't).

Originally Posted by TravellingMan (Post 32132395)
This is surprising as US has a travel alert on South Korea. I would not bother calling again as you did your best, unless you have time to try with another agent.

It's somewhat surprising, because UA has been pretty flexible, but it does fit the terms of the waiver. I agree that HUCA might be successful.

blueman2 Mar 2, 20 9:35 am

United still refusing to a allow change in dates of my upcoming SFO-FCO trip where I have a return of MXP-SFO (open jaw, 2 tickets).They can see I have both, but will only allow fee-free change in dates for MXP segment. Want to charge full change fee for SFO-FCO ticket. I would have thought by now the Level 3 alert from State Dept that covers FCO too would have made UA do something.

Away from YYZ Mar 2, 20 10:00 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 32126245)
I imagine that UA is hoping the situation is resolved by the time they start flying to HND. Suspending ORD/IAD-NRT in particular all the way until their last dates is easy. End of March is also the beginning of prime cherry blossom season in Japan, so probably hoping they cna still pick up some ancillary leisure traffic from that.

So I guess at this point is strictly UA metal, and none of the codeshare (e.g. NH) is affected... Before all these happened, I recommended my friend to pick NH metal over UA for the same ORD-HND-LAX segments. :(

jsloan Mar 2, 20 10:02 am

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 32132775)
United still refusing to a allow change in dates of my upcoming SFO-FCO trip where I have a return of MXP-SFO (open jaw, 2 tickets).They can see I have both, but will only allow fee-free change in dates for MXP segment. Want to charge full change fee for SFO-FCO ticket. I would have thought by now the Level 3 alert from State Dept that covers FCO too would have made UA do something.

When are you traveling? The situation is changing so rapidly, I wouldn't be in any hurry to make changes unless departure is imminent.

kb1992 Mar 2, 20 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32132893)
When are you traveling? The situation is changing so rapidly, I wouldn't be in any hurry to make changes unless departure is imminent.

Agreed. Sooner or later FCO will be on waiver too.

yw379 Mar 2, 20 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32132893)

Originally Posted by blueman2 (Post 32132775)

I am on the same boat! 4/29 to FCO and 5/10 return from MXP.