FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

glbltvlr Feb 28, 20 6:51 am

And it expands... Key quote: United is lowering capacity on flights to and from Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore and Seoul, South Korea.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/unit...ronavirus.html

bhunt Feb 28, 20 7:11 am

So will United mothball several widebodies or will we see them deployed on domestic routes.

I did see a few Vegas flights will have 772.

glbltvlr Feb 28, 20 7:19 am

Originally Posted by bhunt (Post 32122416)
So will United mothball several widebodies or will we see them deployed on domestic routes.

I did see a few Vegas flights will have 772.

I suspect that the reduced pressure on aircraft will be used for deferred maintenance and refurbs and not any kind of mothballing. Can't see them being used wholesale to upgauge domestic routes. That would drive trip costs up beyond any additional revenue. Cheaper to just park them a little longer each day.

paperwastage Feb 28, 20 7:59 am

No additional waivers though, just route suspensions/changes

Repooc17 Feb 28, 20 8:00 am

Originally Posted by username (Post 32121524)
I can think many reasons ranging from trying to be customer-friendly to reduce the chance of infected people on UA's planes.

Jetblue is actually pretty smart - it is "suspending change and cancel fees for all new flight bookings made between February 27, 2020 and March 11, 2020 for travel through June 1, 2020..." which encourages people to book without worrying about waivers if the situation gets worse.

In a way, it is good that the rest of the world finally woke up this week and realize this is a worldwide problem. Now I just hope people take it seriously - personal hygiene, follow rules, etc. The more aware and cautious people are, the quicker this thing can get under control.

Alaska has an even more generous waiver in place.

To be fair, it's a lot easier for AS and B6 to put this kind of waiver in place than legacies such as AA, DL, UA.

Some folks are taking it too serious and mass hysteria ensues.

cesco.g Feb 28, 20 8:56 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 32122313)
I think this was the easiest one to predict.....

Indeed; I have friends on SFO-SIN 11 March; revised schedule yet to be loaded, as it still shows both flights operating.

Infinite1K Feb 28, 20 9:30 am

Do we know which SIN flight is being put on hold? As was pointed out earlier, schedule still shows both operating post March 2.

wxguy Feb 28, 20 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Infinite1K (Post 32122947)
Do we know which SIN flight is being put on hold? As was pointed out earlier, schedule still shows both operating post March 2.

I expect all of the changes will be made in the usual weekly load that occurs Friday nights. Guessing the legacy daytime SIN departures will remain.

spartacusmcfly Feb 28, 20 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Infinite1K (Post 32122947)

Just called reservations. They said system hasn't zeroed out either flight yet. They're also waiting to see which one... I'm hoping it's the morning departure as the redeye makes that flight much more palatable.

Quibert Feb 28, 20 9:47 am

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly (Post 32122999)
Just called reservations. They said system hasn't zeroed out either flight yet. They're also waiting to see which one... I'm hoping it's the morning departure as the redeye makes that flight much more palatable.

I am also hoping its the morning departure as I am scheduled on the evening one in a week and a half.

bocastephen Feb 28, 20 10:46 am

From what I'm hearing, domestic travel is getting slashed by a number of organizations, more conferences are being canceled - if I was UA, I would probably be looking at a Plan B and at slashing frequency dramatically, and using a idled 773 or 772 in place of 3-4 737 flights.

harryhood Feb 28, 20 10:53 am

Originally Posted by glbltvlr (Post 32122361)
And it expands... Key quote: United is lowering capacity on flights to and from Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore and Seoul, South Korea.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/unit...ronavirus.html

How much of their daily US-Japan capacity is this? Asking because I have a family vacation planned for Japan soon and we are exploring cancellation options given the current situation. Flying out of DEN, which seems unaffected by this announcement, but I am also wondering how limited our options might get if they reduce capacity even more (like if they shut down the daily DEN-NRT flight and we had to rebook on a limited capacity flight....)

glbltvlr Feb 28, 20 10:56 am

This was posted on a previous screen and might be helpful.

Originally Posted by IAHMCI (Post 32122298)
Just found this on the United AFA web site.China and Hong Kong:

Suspension of service between the U.S. hubs and Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai and Hong Kong through April 30, 2020.

New reductions across Asia:

United will reduce capacity to Tokyo-Narita, Osaka, Singapore, Seoul and Taipei as follows:
  1. Suspension of LAX – NRT Service, effective March 8 – April 24
  2. Suspension of IAH – NRT Service, effective March 8 – April 24
  3. Suspension of ORD – NRT Service, effective March 8 – March 27. March 28 service to Haneda (HND) will be inaugurated
  4. Haneda schedule is not affected (daily SFO-HND and, starting March 28, daily service to ORD, LAX, IAD and EWR)
  5. Reduction in frequency of EWR – NRT to five (5) times per week for period from March 28 – April 24
  6. HNL – NRT will operate using a 787-8, downgauged from a 777-200, March 28 – April 24
  7. SFO-Osaka which was expected to operate daily, will operate five (5) times weekly for period from March 28-April 24
  8. SFO- Singapore reduction to one flight daily for period from March 8-April 24. This represents a reduction of one daily flight.
  9. SFO-Seoul, South Korea reduction to three (3) times weekly for period from March 8-April 30. This is a reduction from a daily operation for March and a twelve times per week operation that was planned for April.
  10. SFO-Taipei will operate using a 787-9 aircraft, downgauged from a Boeing 777-300, for March and April

britNY Feb 28, 20 11:15 am

Originally Posted by glbltvlr (Post 32123326)
This was posted on a previous screen and might be helpful.

I wonder which 2 days will get sacrificed on the EWR to NRT schedule. Iím on UA79 on Saturday 28th March. PZ space on that opened today so took it.

spartacusmcfly Feb 28, 20 11:38 am

Just looking at a few random dates in March/April, reducing SFO-SIN makes complete sense. Assuming canceled flight passengers take the remaining flight, these birds will be flying close to 100% of capacity. J will be especially full.