FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

jsloan Feb 24, 20 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by whitethunder (Post 32108045)
waivers have lead to cancellations, as they did with HKG a few weeks ago...

Waivers don't lead to cancellations, but low demand might, whether they issue a waiver or not.

TravellingMan Feb 24, 20 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 32108030)
I have a EWR-NRT-ICN flight next week. I'm fine with flying EWR-NRT (and then to elsewhere from NRT). Is it worth calling about NRT-ICN since waiver doesn't include refund on unused portion, or should I just no-show for that last segment?

I would call and ask for a refund for the NRT-ICN segment saying you will terminate at NRT. Why add yourself to the no show list when there is a good reason to get out of it.

TravellingMan Feb 24, 20 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32108062)
Waivers don't lead to cancellations, but low demand might, whether they issue a waiver or not.

But waivers lead to low demand, which also leads to cancellations. So you are both right...;)

whitethunder Feb 24, 20 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32108062)

I said "have" lead (to cancellations) not "will", if the UA pilots crews etc don't want to go to ICN like they did with HKG then it may indeed lead to cancellations I hope not but I could totally see it happening

GBadger Feb 24, 20 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32097529)
Even more reason to delay making the changes as far as practical. If this hits NRT travel demand enough, UA may end up cancelling some flights; if they cancel your flight, you should have a better chance of getting them to force J space for you, even with a change in dates. Of course, this assumes that your meeting is rescheduled rather than cancelled entirely.

Yeah, meeting is cancelled entirely. Given the circumstances, it seems that a waiver for NRT and Japan in general would be appropriate. However, I understand that this could have a significant ripple effect given the "hub" status of NRT.

One thing that I've been thinking about with all of the mentions about light loads on flights is that I think those loads would get even lighter quickly with waivers. I can't imagine that I'm the only one sitting on an upcoming trip waiting to cancel until a waiver is issued...

Kmxu Feb 24, 20 5:51 pm

Korea waive is out; but only until April 30!

The waiver for ICN is much shorter; I.e., until the end of April. I think that further extension is likely, depending upon the situation there.

east_west Feb 24, 20 6:32 pm

CDC raises travel alert for S. Korea to Level 3 "avoid nonessential travel"
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...us-south-korea

fatlasercat Feb 24, 20 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 32107886)
Would you mind clarifying what you were able to do? Did you have a USA - domestic flight - SFO - TPE ticket that you changed to just domestic flight? And then did you get a refund of the fare difference? Thanks. :)

I had SFO-TPE / SIN-SFO open jaw. I changed it SFO-LAX one way. My intention was to pay the change fee and get the fare difference in etc. (would have done it online, but it didn't work). The agent said she knows waiver doesn't cover these cities, but she offered to waive the change fee and refund to original form of payment instead of etc. I accepted the offer:)

Zoltar Feb 25, 20 12:33 pm

Companies are beginning to issue European travel bans. Will UA catch up?

uastarflyer Feb 25, 20 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Zoltar (Post 32112077)
Companies are beginning to issue European travel bans. Will UA catch up?

SIN was added to mine*. If UA needs to cut off SIN we are screwed.

* Plus Italy, Korea, Japan, and any conferences anywhere with anyone.

Zoltar Feb 25, 20 3:09 pm

Delta has added Italy to their waiver list... Still nothing from UA.

cfischer Feb 25, 20 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 32112283)
SIN was added to mine*. If UA needs to cut off SIN we are screwed.

* Plus Italy, Korea, Japan, and any conferences anywhere with anyone.

same here. Will be interesting.

rankourabu Feb 25, 20 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 32109064)
The waiver for ICN is much shorter; I.e., until the end of April. I think that further extension is likely, depending upon the situation there.

It looks like the ICN waiver is longest yet, June 30th?

npei Feb 25, 20 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 32109064)

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 32113301)
It looks like the ICN waiver is longest yet, June 30th?

ICN waiver expanded from April 30 to June 30 in last 36hrs.
I think many routes with waivers may get expanded to June soon.
For example, IOC member just said Japan summer Olympics decision to cancel will most likely happen by end of May (so it makes sense UA waiver extension soon to end of May - June timeframe).

PsiFighter37 Feb 26, 20 5:26 am

Virus has spread to more European countries - I wonder at what point there are waivers for Italy and other countries. Looking like UA may have even more widebody slack coming up.