FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19 UA-Schedule - 40% of Aug 2019;Waiver-No fee cancel/change for 2020 til 31July (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2005760-covid19-ua-schedule-40-aug-2019-waiver-no-fee-cancel-change-2020-til-31july.html)

dcsnowwake Jan 28, 20 9:13 am

Hong Kong has ordered all mainland flights to be cut in 50% capacity immediately.

This is going to expand. Wouldnt be surprised to see all US flights cancelled to China in the coming week.

alchemista Jan 28, 20 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mechteach (Post 32003398)
I'm trying to parse exactly what these two statements mean, taken together, for the PEK/PVG rules:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing between January 24, 2020 - February 29, 2020, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
  • For wholly rescheduled travel departing after March 31, 2020, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
I'm guessing that if you are flying to PEK on 2/1 (say, from ORD), you can reschedule onto the same flight (ORD-PEK) up to 2/29 for no charges, and they will put you in the same cabin. If you want to change to fly ORD-PEK on 4/1, though, you have to pay the difference in fare, but no change fee. Similarly, you could change to ORD-LHR on 4/1, and not pay a change fee. However, if the ORD-LHR fare is more, you would pay more. What happens if the ORD-LHR fare is less? You just eat the difference?

What happens if you want to reschedule to March 2020? Is that a mistake in the terms, because it gives an option for February and for AFTER March 31, but says nothing about in March?

mechteach Jan 28, 20 9:25 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 32003683)
Something as drastic as LHR could get tricky. The answer to your question would be specifically handled in the fare rules, and it could be a refund of the residual, the residual as an ETC, forfeit the residual, or forfeit the entire ticket (change not allowed). All the waiver would do is waive the change fee specified by the fare rules.

Thanks for the response! I think your interpretation makes sense.

I chose LHR to be an extreme case of changing, since they mention changing the destination or departure city specifically (as a potential scenario of if someone were going to a conference or meeting in PEK/PVG/etc. that ends up getting cancelled due to the virus, and they want to use the value for another work trip, or something like that). It will be interesting to see how these policies and flexibility evolve over time. Of course, from a humanitarian POV, I hope that this situation can reigned in ASAP. From a scientific POV, I am more cynical about that.

mechteach Jan 28, 20 9:27 am

Originally Posted by alchemista (Post 32004054)
What happens if you want to reschedule to March 2020? Is that a mistake in the terms, because it gives an option for February and for AFTER March 31, but says nothing about in March?

I think it is saying that you can move your scheduled Jan and Feb travel into March? It is rather unclear!

atword Jan 28, 20 9:32 am

Reporting that I had success in cancelling a separate domestic-only reservation that was clearly matching up with an Air Canada round-trip starting in Chicago. So XXX-ORD-XXX round-trip cancelled without fee because they could see the ORD-China-ORD Air Canada trip. Nice of UA to waive the fee for me when they could have stood their ground and said "not our problem you booked AC, it's a separate reservation". Of course I can't get through to AC to cancel but that really isn't UA's problem.

+1 for UA

STS-134 Jan 28, 20 9:34 am

I interpret things like this:

If ticket was booked before 1/27 AND:
1: Original travel departs after 2/29: Does not qualify
2: Original travel departs before 2/29 AND:
2a: Travel is rescheduled for before 3/31: No fare difference and no change fee
2b: Travel is rescheduled for after 3/31: Change fees waived but fare difference may apply

I have no idea why anyone would take option 2b. If you want to do this, you should simply ask for a refund and book a new ticket. There seems to be no advantage whatsoever to rescheduling and paying a fare difference, since you only have 1 year from original issue date to use it and getting a refund on the old one and buying a new one extends this time forward, if the waiver happens to get extended in the future.

findark Jan 28, 20 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mechteach (Post 32004083)
I chose LHR to be an extreme case of changing, since they mention changing the destination or departure city specifically (as a potential scenario of if someone were going to a conference or meeting in PEK/PVG/etc. that ends up getting cancelled due to the virus, and they want to use the value for another work trip, or something like that).

Most likely rules would simply be apply the coupon value to a new ticket and deduct or charge the change fee (waived in this case). However, sometimes it is more specific about number of international fare components, specific tariffs, etc. which would make dramatic changes impossible but would allow, say, SFO-PEK to SFO-TYO or something.

Originally Posted by mechteach (Post 32004096)
I think it is saying that you can move your scheduled Jan and Feb travel into March? It is rather unclear!

Pretty sure there is an error and March should be explicitly included in one of the date ranges. As written, travel rescheduled in March does not qualify for any waiver.

jsloan Jan 28, 20 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mechteach (Post 32004096)

One or the other of the two dates is wrong. I suspect they should both read March 31. As written, they're saying that they would waive fees for changes to Feb 29 or April 1, but if you wanted to travel during March, they wouldn't; that makes no sense, is inconsistent with all prior UA waivers, and is a mistake. :)

Originally Posted by findark (Post 32003683)
Something as drastic as LHR could get tricky. The answer to your question would be specifically handled in the fare rules, and it could be a refund of the residual, the residual as an ETC, forfeit the residual, or forfeit the entire ticket (change not allowed). All the waiver would do is waive the change fee specified by the fare rules.

Most (not all) UA fares would allow for a refund of the residual as an ETC -- especially the China fares, which have some of the most flexible terms in the route network due to all of the competition. And, I suspect even on a fare that indicated that the remainder would be forfeit, you might be able to get an agent to provide an ETC anyway, given the nature of this particular waiver.

Originally Posted by atword (Post 32004121)
Reporting that I had success in cancelling a separate domestic-only reservation that was clearly matching up with an Air Canada round-trip starting in Chicago. So XXX-ORD-XXX round-trip cancelled without fee because they could see the ORD-China-ORD Air Canada trip. Nice of UA to waive the fee for me when they could have stood their ground and said "not our problem you booked AC, it's a separate reservation".

For all of the derision UA customer service gets at times -- rightly so, in many cases -- the reservation agents tend to do the right thing for people more often than not. :tu:

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 32004128)
I have no idea why anyone would take option 2b. If you want to do this, you should simply ask for a refund and book a new ticket. There seems to be no advantage whatsoever to rescheduling and paying a fare difference, since you only have 1 year from original issue date to use it and getting a refund on the old one and buying a new one extends this time forward, if the waiver happens to get extended in the future.

Except, a refund isn't an option that's being offered.

Long Zhiren Jan 28, 20 11:15 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 31983964)
You can fly uNited ticket to WUH via either PEK(CA) or NRT(NH)

Wuhan is a major university city, among other things. A lot of itineraries going through UA's system will be connecting to go there or come from there.
Regardless, the situation has expanded.

rufflesinc Jan 28, 20 11:45 am

WASHINGTON — United Airlines, the largest U.S. carrier operating in China, said Tuesday afternoon that it is adjusting its near-term schedule and canceling 24 round-trip flights between the United States and China because so few people are traveling to China.

The cancellations affect flights from San Francisco International Airport, Newark Liberty International Airport, Dulles International Airport and Chicago O’Hare International Airport.

“Due to a significant decline in demand for travel to China, we are suspending some flights between our hub cities and Beijing, Hong Kong and Shanghai beginning Feb. 1 through Feb. 8,” the airline said in a statement. “We will continue to monitor the situation as it develops and will adjust our schedule as needed.”

STS-134 Jan 28, 20 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32004153)
Except, a refund isn't an option that's being offered.

Ah, thanks, didn't catch that detail. Refunds only on tickets all the way through to WUH. Still, if I held one of these tickets, I'd wait until the day before departure to make any changes, just because the situation is evolving so quickly.

PsiFighter37 Jan 28, 20 12:11 pm

Cancelling one entire week of flights...yowza! Guess we will see a lot more widebodies doing hub-hub flying for a short period of time?

dcsnowwake Jan 28, 20 12:11 pm

Waiting to see if F1 will cancel or move the race in April in Shanghai. Already upgraded :( hope this is a short virus and back to normal ASAP.

bocastephen Jan 28, 20 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake (Post 32004742)
Waiting to see if F1 will cancel or move the race in April in Shanghai. Already upgraded :( hope this is a short virus and back to normal ASAP.

if the situation is worse or still this bad by April, a car race will be the least of everyone’s worries

nowayout203 Jan 28, 20 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 32004727)
Ah, thanks, didn't catch that detail. Refunds only on tickets all the way through to WUH. Still, if I held one of these tickets, I'd wait until the day before departure to make any changes, just because the situation is evolving so quickly.

Looks like UA is now allowing for refunds too:

China Novel Coronavirus - 1-24-2020

Airports

• Beijing, CN (PEK)
  • Chengdu, CN (CTU)
  • Shanghai, CN (PVG)

Original travel dates

January 24, 2020 - February 29, 2020

Additional information

FLIGHT CHANGES:

• The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing between January 24, 2020 - February 29, 2020, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
  • For wholly rescheduled travel departing after March 31, 2020, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
  • Refunds are allowed for unflown flights, even for nonrefundable tickets. Please visit united.com/refunds to submit a refund request.
  • View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights.

​ORIGINAL TICKET MUST HAVE BEEN PURCHASED BY:

January 27, 2020