Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Exactly that - change the date! Works.. I assume this is used for divvying out the T-24, T-48 etc CPUs?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by villox
I really really really hope they will let this stay. I would love to see where I am on the cpu list to know whether it’s worth applying an instrument to move up. For that reason I expect they won’t.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but based on the wording change (in the app at least) it appears entirely deliberate. Below the upgrade list it used to say something to the effect of “list includes only upgrade eligible customers who have checked in”. Now It says “List includes all upgrade eligible customers”

I can only assume that in order to “skip the waitlist” there’ll be a cost to this in the form of additional Plus Points required and the way you incentivize people to part with their hard earned points is to show them how long the waitlist is.

The big risk is that you have a bunch of people way down the list jumping over those with higher elite status and end up disenfranchising GS and 1Ks who otherwise would have got an upgrade.

On another note it seems like certain flights are not showing the list with the message “a server side error occurred”
coolbeans202 and drewguy like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone else notice that upgrade waitlists now seem to show up in the app prior to check in? I’m able to see the ~20 person waitlist for my Saturday TATL flight when I go to the flight status page. Wonder if this is an intentional change or bug?

nmind - see the thread now! I’m on board w the idea that this is intentional and leading toward a more dynamic pricing model for instrument upgrades, of which skip the waitlist is the first step. I like the extra transparency, though.

Last edited by eflyte; Dec 4, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Same thing, SFO -> EWR later this week (787-10) is now showing most of the upgrade list twice, albeit curiously a few folks only the once - wondering if its only happening on flights with planes operating the 3-class service?

Tangentially, while I see the upgrade lists of folks, I've yet to see any PZ move on 4-5 flights I'm watching - I'm wondering if there are more kinks in the old upgrade system (assume it might have been turned off during the upgrade).

Certainly seems like some quirks/kinks
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Seems like this additional visibility of the upgrade list might encourage a lot of changes within the initial 24 hr cancellation period as people choose flights that maximize their upgrade chances.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:41 pm

I can see the Upgrade list for my LAX-SFO flight. 43/48 and I am #4 on the list.

I really hope this clears, but I am not getting my hopes too high.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by Tarpie
United only lets you check flight status within a couple days of a flight. So today 12/4 it won't let you check the status of a flight on 12/31. But if you set the date on your phone to 12/31 and then open the United app it will let you check the status of 12/31 flights.
Ahh, I was wondering about this trick. Going to try it out for an ORD-FAT flight for my wife and I heading west for the holidays in a couple of weeks.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:52 pm

I assume there must be some sort of bug with this lists more broadly than just duplicates. I'm looking at the list for an upcoming flight to NRT from SFO (next Friday, so I used the phone date change trick) I used my new +Ps for; Platinum on an R fare. I see 17 people (!) ahead of me on the upgrade list. Of these, 7 are duplicated. In addition, 10 who are ahead of me for Polaris also show up on on the list for upgrades to PP... I've been assuming I should be ahead of any eco fare class passenger (including GS), right?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:03 am

How can we check on the app a future flight status?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by deskover54
How can we check on the app a future flight status?
See post Number 30.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mattg85
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but based on the wording change (in the app at least) it appears entirely deliberate. Below the upgrade list it used to say something to the effect of “list includes only upgrade eligible customers who have checked in”. Now It says “List includes all upgrade eligible customers”

I can only assume that in order to “skip the waitlist” there’ll be a cost to this in the form of additional Plus Points required and the way you incentivize people to part with their hard earned points is to show them how long the waitlist is.

The big risk is that you have a bunch of people way down the list jumping over those with higher elite status and end up disenfranchising GS and 1Ks who otherwise would have got an upgrade.

On another note it seems like certain flights are not showing the list with the message “a server side error occurred”
But as was pointed out before STW only works 30+ days out and they only let you see the upgrade list 2 days out unless you change the date on your phone. It’s possible however this is in preparation for allowing everyone to see the upgrade list once STW rolls out though.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I can see the Upgrade list for my LAX-SFO flight. 43/48 and I am #4 on the list.

I really hope this clears, but I am not getting my hopes too high.
the good thing is that if these lists are as they appear the only people who can “jump” you are new bookings or those who apply an instrument (if you haven’t). No need to wait as people check in to see yourself plummet down the list.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A Little Cow
I see 17 people (!) ahead of me on the upgrade list. Of these, 7 are duplicated. In addition, 10 who are ahead of me for Polaris also show up on on the list for upgrades to PP... I've been assuming I should be ahead of any eco fare class passenger (including GS), right?
There are multiple problems with the three-cabin upgrade lists, including people on paid P+ fares appearing as cleared upgrades even though they never upgraded in the first place.

Prior to departure, a GS in Y has priority over a Platinum in P+, because their upgrade will be waitlisted for PN, which opens before PZ will. (PZ is the fare class that's used by everyone else). It's not clear whether or not that's reflected on the list, or is supposed to be, or what happens at the gate. It's especially unclear due to the issues with these lists, now including duplication.

GS also have the ability to force through upgrades in certain circumstances.

Ultimately, it's probably best for us all to treat it as though GS priority trumps non-GS priority and take it from there.

Incidentally, there is near zero chance that your upgrade will clear. Friday upgrades are very difficult in the first place, and inventory is currently J2 O2, with only three J seats unoccupied on the seat map. (In fact, you can see the total number of bookings, which will either be 57/60 or 58/60, on the status page). They'll sell those last seats, and even if they don't, at least two of the people on that list ahead of you are likely to be 1Ks with P+ tickets.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Incidentally, there is near zero chance that your upgrade will clear. Friday upgrades are very difficult in the first place, and inventory is currently J2 O2, with only three J seats unoccupied on the seat map. (In fact, you can see the total number of bookings, which will either be 57/60 or 58/60, on the status page). They'll sell those last seats, and even if they don't, at least two of the people on that list ahead of you are likely to be 1Ks with P+ tickets.
It is SFO->NRT not NRT->SFO fortunately; still some hope since only 45/60 booked... but I went from being cautiously optimistic to pessimistic, as I guess one should be with these things. Fortunately after this flight I'll be 1k so perhaps I'll have more luck in the new year.

EDIT: And, looking back at it, PN is now 2, so perhaps no GS waiting? Or just more bugs... I am definitely enjoying the tarot cards readings of these lists though. :P
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Last edited by A Little Cow; Dec 5, 2019 at 1:21 am
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: UA MM
From what I can tell with my and my wife’s flight today, all Premier members are showing on the list whether checked in or not. Those with their names duplicated are the ones waitlisted for an upgrade with an instrument.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.