FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What benefit would you like to see added to 1k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1991015-what-benefit-would-you-like-see-added-1k.html)

seanp7 Nov 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 31729846)
That would fill up as eventually devalue PL. soon PL would just be cheese cubes and hummus (C’mon UA, rotate the UC offerings please!).

Totally agreed, but hey, we're brainstorming. Skip Waitlist could be argued to devalue premium cabins etc etc.

The yellow luggage handle was an innovation that worked. I'm trying to think of something like that but struggling...

united 1k flyer Nov 12, 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 31729942)
Since they will continue to sell cheap memberships ($450 is cheap?) then the clubs will be even more crowded. Bad idea.

Most 1ks already have a united club membership and for someone spending 24,000 dollars a year on United, 450 is considered “cheap”. I say continue the United club card annual fee as 450 but each visit is 10-12 dollars and if you want a full membership you need to pay an extra 300 AND Global services get comped a united club membership.

Originally Posted by seanp7 (Post 31729949)
Totally agreed, but hey, we're brainstorming. Skip Waitlist could be argued to devalue premium cabins etc etc.

The yellow luggage handle was an innovation that worked. I'm trying to think of something like that but struggling...

American seems to be managing just fine letting in all status passengers above their lowest tier. I think if united charged 10 plus points per visit it wouldn’t change much. I mean that’s already 25% of the needed points to upgrade international ticket to Polaris (from a W fare class of course).

fumje Nov 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 31730006)
American seems to be managing just fine letting in all status passengers above their lowest tier. I think if united charged 10 plus points per visit it wouldn’t change much. I mean that’s already 25% of the needed points to upgrade international ticket to Polaris (from a W fare class of course).

RPUs are useless, but I would never trade half of one for a visit to the United Club. That calculation gets even more negative when RPU becomes 0.5 GPU.

uastarflyer Nov 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 31730006)
Most 1ks already have a united club membership and for someone spending 24,000 dollars a year on United, 450 is considered “cheap”.

My company spends much of the $15k. I spend the $450. I bet most of us are in that situation.

I will get to 1K and will drop Club actually. Why? I get lounge already on INTL. For DEN-SMF might as well buy a meal instead.

How much does DL and AA charge for their club?

geo979 Nov 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 31620243)
Starting in 2021 what benefits would you like to see added with significantly harder qualification requirements

This reminds me of the famous "playoffs" rant by Jim Mora. "Added!! Benefits added! $@#% Added!! Are you kidding me? Added!!! $#%%!"

united 1k flyer Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 31730034)
RPUs are useless, but I would never trade half of one for a visit to the United Club. That calculation gets even more negative when RPU becomes 0.5 GPU.

I was referring to one visit to the polaris lounge for 10 plus points sorry if i confused you.

zdog2x Nov 12, 2019 7:33 pm

2, perhaps 4, free flight changes per year on any fare except N.

UA_Flyer Nov 12, 2019 8:00 pm

There is a difference between wish list vs realistic consideration.
I gather this thread covers both.

I do believe UA should provide additional benefits to 1K members. $18K or $24K are not small changes even on OPM.

The realistic consideration also needs to be operable and not increasing complexity to the functions and features of UA's IT system, otherwise it will be a long time to get something added.

As a start, I think the suggestions to access UA Clubs and Polaris Lounges are on the wish list. Overcrowding has been an issue at most of the United Clubs located at the hub airports (which most of the 1K members are based) and Polaris Lounges are not far behind in terms of crowds and waiting time for sit down meal services. Trading points for lounge access are just adding complexity to the IT system and dragon ladies' work. If UA is willing to add/expand United Club space and facilities, this can happen but not in the near term.

Waving change fees can be easily done but it needs to be done in conjunction with giving the same benefits to GS. GS currently does not have fee waivers.

Enhanced upgrade availabilities: GS is already having a hard time clearing upgrades, so not likely especially when M+ members can pay more to secure upgrade slots starting next year.

Dedicated !k Check in counters can be done easily. I hope UA offer this rather than put a bunch of all level of elites to Premier Access.

Perhaps this thread will be more useful at the beginning of 2021 when UA has the updated data the 1K population based on the new qualification criteria, and then some of the wishful items may become realistic considerations.

tryathlete Nov 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Yes 1K’s need extra benefits

Originally Posted by fivesixseven (Post 31622835)
I don't think 1Ks need extra benefits, but I would like FAs to embrace the concept of hospitality instead of service to all passengers on board. It does not cost anything to genuinely make someone else happy and feel appreciated.

I’m seriously upset about lack of Polaris upgrade availability and being the #1 loser twice on a long tatl this week. First year I’ve flown as much as I have and had leftover GPUs

usbusinesstraveller Nov 12, 2019 8:51 pm

At the risk risk of sounding like Monty Python -

“Okay, apart from the free food in domestic Y, and the free alcohol, and the pre-boarding, and the free membership of CLEAR, what benefits have United ever given us recently?”

jsloan Nov 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 31730881)
Waving change fees can be easily done but it needs to be done in conjunction with giving the same benefits to GS. GS currently does not have fee waivers.

I was taking it as read that any improvements for 1Ks would also be improvements for GSes.

A change fee waiver would be a very nice benefit, and there's precedent -- AS waives all change fees for MVP Gold 75K members (excluding their BE). I think a more limited benefit than AS's is more realistic -- UA isn't going to want to give GS/1K members free changes on business travel, as I suspect that GS/1K members make up an outsized fraction of their change fee revenue. Something like what was suggested -- 2-4 per year -- would work, as most people would save them for personal travel. They could also provide a sort of change fee TravelBank: they could waive the first $1000 worth of change fees for each GS/1K per year.

united 1k flyer Nov 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31731053)
I was taking it as read that any improvements for 1Ks would also be improvements for GSes.

A change fee waiver would be a very nice benefit, and there's precedent -- AS waives all change fees for MVP Gold 75K members (excluding their BE). I think a more limited benefit than AS's is more realistic -- UA isn't going to want to give GS/1K members free changes on business travel, as I suspect that GS/1K members make up an outsized fraction of their change fee revenue. Something like what was suggested -- 2-4 per year -- would work, as most people would save them for personal travel. They could also provide a sort of change fee TravelBank: they could waive the first $1000 worth of change fees for each GS/1K per year.

This is a great idea and extremely easy to do. So here is some of the the benifits United should to add to keep me a loyal 1k (ok we all know I’m not going anywhere). 3 free changes or cancellation to revenue tickets. A free united club membership and before you say anything about overcrowding, United simply needs to raise the United club membership 2x. O and 1 award 2 for 1 voucher. Ok that’s it.

MrBizFlyer Nov 13, 2019 5:07 pm

How about bridging the incomplete travel ecosystem for starters? I am a bit surprised that United (or any other airline) has not yet figured out how to build an ecosystem like Apple has with Hardware+Software+Entertainment+Financial+Services but with regards to travel.

What I'd love to see is seamless end-to-end travel that incorporates Air+Hotel+Ground+Entertainment priced reasonably. When I book a flight, I should have the option to schedule an uber or limo, and hotel at the same time. Why are these seperate activities? United already has a partnership with Marriott so why can't I book hotel at same time as flight?

Here's another thing, I never book entertainment for the day I land somewhere because I never know if my flight is going to be delayed resulting in missing the event/activity. Simple solution to this is to offer free wifi and allow me to book activities an hour or two before I land. I don't care if you get a commission/fee for it, just let me do it.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate dealing with luggage so either have someone pick it up and ship it for me. This service is offered all over Japan and it's amazing.

VFR Nov 13, 2019 6:00 pm

United does offer baggage delivery, via a third party. If they are going to have a baggage delivery service contracted to deliver lost bags, it makes sense to offer it for a fee ($30) as well.

Interestingly enough, United is testing a service where your bag can be delivered to a Marriott hotel in London if you are flying J, so they probably know there is more opportunity for tight integration, they just have to figure out how to do it.

If I worked for United, I do think there are some good opportunities to offer upsells (hotel, entertainment, etc.), likely sold through a third party travel agency that gives UA a commission. The best place is likely immediately after the customer has booked their flight, since additional steps in booking tend to increase the cart abandonment rate. I think bag delivery would be a good upsell.

physioprof Nov 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Systematic change-fee waivers would damage the market for flexible/unrestricted fares, which is why they'll never do this.