Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding UA BE fares with Google Flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2023, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
If you scroll to the bottom of the UA checkout page, you are given the option to upfare from Basic Economy to Economy fares before purchase (in fact, you are required to choose one or the other before proceeding). No need to talk to an agent.

Thank you! Embarrassingly I never scrolled down far enough to see that option. I have 4 pax and it’s sufficiently buried under all the traveller details fields… I was giving up right away when seeing the basic fare in the summary window.

I appreciate your help.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and ty97 like this.

Last edited by yowspotter; Aug 24, 2023 at 11:33 am
Old Aug 26, 2023, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by yowspotter
Both AC and UA sell the ticket I'm after. I'm presented with fare options on the AC ticket, but not on the UA ticket (a UA 016 ticket being what I'm after). See screenshot. I wonder if it has something to do with being at a Canadian point-of-sale and the system favours AC.

Unfortunately it has no effect on the fare type ultimately made available for purchase. I wonder if it's because AC and UA are partnered and AC BE fare includes carry-on.

Thanks both for the responses though. Seems the Google approach won't work for me. Too bad there's no way (?) to get UA.com's search to show me the AC non-stop on the return leg.
Originally Posted by xliioper
If you scroll to the bottom of the UA checkout page, you are given the option to upfare from Basic Economy to Economy fares before purchase (in fact, you are required to choose one or the other before proceeding). No need to talk to an agent.

Originally Posted by yowspotter
Thank you! Embarrassingly I never scrolled down far enough to see that option. I have 4 pax and it’s sufficiently buried under all the traveller details fields… I was giving up right away when seeing the basic fare in the summary window.

I appreciate your help.
Closing the loop here maybe for the benefit of others…turns out there was still a mysterious snag with the online upfare.

Using that button I was able to temporarily upfare to regular economy at a new price. So I entered all pax info and proceeded. At the next booking page I got a message to the effect that the ticket was re-priced based on the pax information entered (a combo of adults and kids 5+). The system had automatically downfared back to basic and there was no visible way to upfare anymore.

I called an agent and explained the issue. His initial search wouldn’t pull the inbound AC nonstop so he had to use a different “back end” tool to find the desired itinerary and price the regular economy fare. Price was good (actually a bit better than the temporarily upfared online price) so I booked it. He had to step away for a minute to get someone’s permission to book using the “back end” tool. I was not charged the agent assisted booking fee.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:15 pm

Matrix or Google Flights Search

Can someone tell me how I can do a search on Matrix (or Google flights) that excludes UA basic economy fares? Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Chamor
Can someone tell me how I can do a search on Matrix (or Google flights) that excludes UA basic economy fares? Thanks.
On Google flights, just use the "bag" filter and choose 1 carry on bag.
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Google Flights is easier, since you just add a carryon bag to the filters.

On ITA Matrix you have to use the advanced options to exclude fares ending in N.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
On ITA Matrix you have to use the advanced options to exclude fares ending in N.
It'd be fares ending in -bn, but that only works domestically and it's easier just to use f !bc=n. Internationally, they no longer seem to have any consistent way to do this, unfortunately.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.