Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding UA BE fares with Google Flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Avoiding UA BE fares with Google Flights

I don’t usually use Google flights, but does anyone know what’s up with UA showing only basic economy fares on Google flights search results? (By default? Not sure if there’s a way to change settings.) Other airline results show regular economy results alongside UA’s basic economy. It’s misleading and I just want to compare the same fares.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Click Bags and set Carry-on to 1. That will filter out Basic Economy prices.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Google Flights shows the lowest available fare, so if UA has BE that will show. Add a carryon bag to see economy fares for UA (and fares with a carryon for everyone else).
cesco.g and Flying Machine like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Other carriers, including AA, AS, and DL are also BE fares despite not displaying as such on GF.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Ahh very good. Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Other carriers, including AA, AS, and DL are also BE fares despite not displaying as such on GF.

​​​​​​
For AA/DL, they will show as BE on Google Flights when you get the final pricing and GF will give you the option to upfare to main cabin. GF does not yet recognize AS Saver fares and it's not until you get to the AS website do you get the option to upfare.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:59 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Click Bags and set Carry-on to 1. That will filter out Basic Economy prices.
Unfortunately, this trick doesn't work when searching for flights to Europe...
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:07 am

Scenario: I'm using Google flights to find a future trip to Florida from Canada. I find an outbound on UA with 1-stop and an inbound on partner AC non-stop. I am referred by Google to either AC.com or UA.com for ticket purchase. When I follow the link to UA.com, I see on the purchase page that the ticket is basic economy. I'd like to revise that to a non-basic economy fare.

Problem: I see no way of revising the fare upward from basic economy. The only thing I can think of is restarting my search using UA's site so that I see all the fare choices per leg and choose. However, UA.com search results don't offer the inbound non-stop on AC.

Question(s): is there a way to get UA.com to show me the inbound non-stop on partner AC? Or, is there a way to get link from Google that provides a non-basic fare for purchase?
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by yowspotter
Scenario: I'm using Google flights to find a future trip to Florida from Canada. I find an outbound on UA with 1-stop and an inbound on partner AC non-stop. I am referred by Google to either AC.com or UA.com for ticket purchase. When I follow the link to UA.com, I see on the purchase page that the ticket is basic economy. I'd like to revise that to a non-basic economy fare.

Problem: I see no way of revising the fare upward from basic economy. The only thing I can think of is restarting my search using UA's site so that I see all the fare choices per leg and choose. However, UA.com search results don't offer the inbound non-stop on AC.

Question(s): is there a way to get UA.com to show me the inbound non-stop on partner AC? Or, is there a way to get link from Google that provides a non-basic fare for purchase?
Before you leave Google Flights, you should be presented with a list of fare options, the first one should be basic economy, the one after should be a regular economy fare.

You can also change the bags setting from 0 (default) to 1 in Google Flights - does not work for all airlines but work for UA

Not all AC flights are codeshared with UA. If not, just buy it directly from AC.

There may also be nonstop flights on other airlines between Canada and Florida (depending on origin and destination). So be sure to check those out. With United, it's at least two flights each way.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
is there a way to get link from Google that provides a non-basic fare for purchase?
Yes, select "carry-on bag" in the options. This will DQ the UA BE fares.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Correct, except for long haul flights (unless I am doing it wrong). For some reason it does not eliminate it on GF. You'd have to do it on UA for the $150 upcharge.

UA domestic flights and shorthaul, for sure, a non-zero carryon bag selection will eliminate BE fares.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, except for long haul flights (unless I am doing it wrong). For some reason it does not eliminate it on GF.
Long-haul BE allows a carry-on, so the BE fares are not removed from the search with that trick.

I wish Google had a "don't show me BE" option, because I don't want the BE restrictions on any fare, regardless of carrier. The products aren't identical, but they're similar enough that none of them meet my needs.
SPN Lifer and ty97 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 8:32 am

Before you leave Google Flights, you should be presented with a list of fare options, the first one should be basic economy, the one after should be a regular economy fare.
Both AC and UA sell the ticket I'm after. I'm presented with fare options on the AC ticket, but not on the UA ticket (a UA 016 ticket being what I'm after). See screenshot. I wonder if it has something to do with being at a Canadian point-of-sale and the system favours AC.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately it has no effect on the fare type ultimately made available for purchase. I wonder if it's because AC and UA are partnered and AC BE fare includes carry-on.

Thanks both for the responses though. Seems the Google approach won't work for me. Too bad there's no way (?) to get UA.com's search to show me the AC non-stop on the return leg.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too bad there's no way (?) to get UA.com's search to show me the AC non-stop on the return leg.
UA wants to sell you UA flights.

You may be able to get the flight you want by calling.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you scroll to the bottom of the UA checkout page, you are given the option to upfare from Basic Economy to Economy fares before purchase (in fact, you are required to choose one or the other before proceeding). No need to talk to an agent.

SPN Lifer, ty97 and paperwastage like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.