FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   EWR to DUB and no meal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1987876-ewr-dub-no-meal.html)

gene2632 Sep 18, 2019 2:53 pm

EWR to DUB and no meal?

Just checking my bookings and saw this on our trip to DUB in May

UA 23

Duration6h 40m

AircraftBoeing 787-10 Dreamliner

Fare ClassUnited Premium Plus (R)

MealNot offered on this flight

Can a Dreamliner really fly that fast?

Kacee Sep 18, 2019 3:03 pm

It's UA's new slimming spa service.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Sep 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Isn’t there a little voice in your head that says, “this is just an error”?

findark Sep 18, 2019 3:09 pm

The meal was cut to pay for the other flights which are scheduled for 6 meals (Meal: 6).

gene2632 Sep 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Should have said DUB, not BUD. We were there last week and it was long ride home. BUD to MUC to LAX to LAS....

As far as the no meal thing, I try to eat before I board now. Gives me more time to to try and sleep and the food, even in J is generally inedible anyway.

WineCountryUA Sep 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by gene2632 (Post 31539701)
Should have said DUB, not BUD. We were there last week and it was long ride home. BUD to MUC to LAX to LAS....

As far as the no meal thing, I try to eat before I board now. Gives me more time to to try and sleep and the food, even in J is generally inedible anyway.

"No Meal" is a common website issue, Check flight status or the booking search -- yes there will be a meal

But if interested in sleeping, eating before the flight makes the most sense.

EWR-DUB is under 3,200 miles -- less than an hour longer than SFO-BOS (2,704 miles) and very favorable jet stream

IAH-OIL-TRASH Sep 18, 2019 5:34 pm

Here’s what to expect. The Republic of Ireland is considered part of Europe. You’ll get a meal:

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ng.aspx?POS=US

mduell Sep 18, 2019 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 31539547)

In this era of airline cutbacks and disaggregated services... not really.

gene2632 Sep 18, 2019 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31539757)
"No Meal" is a common website issue, Check flight status or the booking search -- yes there will be a meal

But if interested in sleeping, eating before the flight makes the most sense.

We are booked in PP for now and the layover is 5+ hours so I am thinking there will be some time for snacks in the UC ( one of us is Premier Gold) and then some time for a decent dinner before we board---or we could grab a cab and do a late lunch in the Ironbound......The food on our TATL and TPAC trips the past few years has been underwhelming to say the least.

TomMM Sep 19, 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by gene2632 (Post 31540532)
We are booked in PP for now and the layover is 5+ hours so I am thinking there will be some time for snacks in the UC ( one of us is Premier Gold) and then some time for a decent dinner before we board---or we could grab a cab and do a late lunch in the Ironbound......The food on our TATL and TPAC trips the past few years has been underwhelming to say the least.

Since you prefer sleep over an inflight meal, shouldn't this thread be concerned with the lack of sleep time due to the short flight?

drewguy Sep 19, 2019 9:27 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 31539547)

Indeed.

I upgraded from economy to PP after purchase on flight to CDG. Changed from "dinner" to "no meal" on the booking after I did that.

May have to go poach an E seat to get the tasty food back there . . . :rolleyes:

gene2632 Sep 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 31541303)
Since you prefer sleep over an inflight meal, shouldn't this thread be concerned with the lack of sleep time due to the short flight?

My original question was more curiosity. My preference for sleeping over eating comes from the really poor quality of the food on UA. If I was looking for a really great meal there are many restaurants right near my home and in most of the cities I get to travel too....The only reason I get on an airplane is to get somewhere.

StuckinITH Sep 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by gene2632 (Post 31539520)
Just checking my bookings and saw this on our trip to DUB in May

UA 23

Duration6h 40m

AircraftBoeing 787-10 Dreamliner

Fare ClassUnited Premium Plus (R)

MealNot offered on this flight

Can a Dreamliner really fly that fast?

When I had a flight that stated 0 meals it was a way longer flight. I cannot recall if it was ORD-PVG or ORD-HKG. Maybe United knew that in those places I would have plenty of opportunities to enjoy good meals. But, then, the return flight (from one of those locations) was stating 6 meals. Maybe United worried that somehow I did not like my meals there. But United should not have worried.......

RobOnLI Sep 19, 2019 7:07 pm

My Premium Plus EWR-HKG flight also said "No meal offered". Yeah, on a 16 hour flight :)

-RM

sanfran8080 Sep 21, 2019 4:36 pm

Kirby strikes again