EWR to DUB and no meal?

Old Sep 18, 19, 2:53 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Posts: 622
EWR to DUB and no meal?

Just checking my bookings and saw this on our trip to DUB in May

UA 23

Duration6h 40m

AircraftBoeing 787-10 Dreamliner

Fare ClassUnited Premium Plus (R)

MealNot offered on this flight

Can a Dreamliner really fly that fast?
gene2632 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:03 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,378
It's UA's new slimming spa service.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:05 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,480
Isn’t there a little voice in your head that says, “this is just an error”?
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:09 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,927
The meal was cut to pay for the other flights which are scheduled for 6 meals (Meal: 6).
gcashin, ajGoes and narvik like this.
findark is online now  
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:57 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Posts: 622
Should have said DUB, not BUD. We were there last week and it was long ride home. BUD to MUC to LAX to LAS....

As far as the no meal thing, I try to eat before I board now. Gives me more time to to try and sleep and the food, even in J is generally inedible anyway.
gene2632 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 4:20 pm
  #6  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,602
Originally Posted by gene2632 View Post
Should have said DUB, not BUD. We were there last week and it was long ride home. BUD to MUC to LAX to LAS....

As far as the no meal thing, I try to eat before I board now. Gives me more time to to try and sleep and the food, even in J is generally inedible anyway.
"No Meal" is a common website issue, Check flight status or the booking search -- yes there will be a meal

But if interested in sleeping, eating before the flight makes the most sense.

EWR-DUB is under 3,200 miles -- less than an hour longer than SFO-BOS (2,704 miles) and very favorable jet stream
muaddib89 likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:34 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,480
Here’s what to expect. The Republic of Ireland is considered part of Europe. You’ll get a meal:

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ng.aspx?POS=US
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 5:47 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 10,984
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Isn’t there a little voice in your head that says, “this is just an error”?
In this era of airline cutbacks and disaggregated services... not really.
mduell is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 9:48 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Posts: 622
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
"No Meal" is a common website issue, Check flight status or the booking search -- yes there will be a meal

But if interested in sleeping, eating before the flight makes the most sense.
We are booked in PP for now and the layover is 5+ hours so I am thinking there will be some time for snacks in the UC ( one of us is Premier Gold) and then some time for a decent dinner before we board---or we could grab a cab and do a late lunch in the Ironbound......The food on our TATL and TPAC trips the past few years has been underwhelming to say the least.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 19 at 9:58 pm Reason: repaire quote
gene2632 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 5:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,578
Originally Posted by gene2632 View Post
We are booked in PP for now and the layover is 5+ hours so I am thinking there will be some time for snacks in the UC ( one of us is Premier Gold) and then some time for a decent dinner before we board---or we could grab a cab and do a late lunch in the Ironbound......The food on our TATL and TPAC trips the past few years has been underwhelming to say the least.
Since you prefer sleep over an inflight meal, shouldn't this thread be concerned with the lack of sleep time due to the short flight?
TomMM is online now  
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,646
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Isn’t there a little voice in your head that says, “this is just an error”?
Indeed.

I upgraded from economy to PP after purchase on flight to CDG. Changed from "dinner" to "no meal" on the booking after I did that.

May have to go poach an E seat to get the tasty food back there . . .
drewguy is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 6:09 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Posts: 622
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Since you prefer sleep over an inflight meal, shouldn't this thread be concerned with the lack of sleep time due to the short flight?
My original question was more curiosity. My preference for sleeping over eating comes from the really poor quality of the food on UA. If I was looking for a really great meal there are many restaurants right near my home and in most of the cities I get to travel too....The only reason I get on an airplane is to get somewhere.
gene2632 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 6:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,468
Originally Posted by gene2632 View Post
Just checking my bookings and saw this on our trip to DUB in May

UA 23

Duration6h 40m

AircraftBoeing 787-10 Dreamliner

Fare ClassUnited Premium Plus (R)

MealNot offered on this flight

Can a Dreamliner really fly that fast?
When I had a flight that stated 0 meals it was a way longer flight. I cannot recall if it was ORD-PVG or ORD-HKG. Maybe United knew that in those places I would have plenty of opportunities to enjoy good meals. But, then, the return flight (from one of those locations) was stating 6 meals. Maybe United worried that somehow I did not like my meals there. But United should not have worried.......
StuckinITH is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 7:07 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 8,169
My Premium Plus EWR-HKG flight also said "No meal offered". Yeah, on a 16 hour flight

-RM
RobOnLI is online now  
Old Sep 21, 19, 4:36 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 814
Kirby strikes again
sanfran8080 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread