FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Using Dishonest Tactics to Avoid Oversell (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1986757-ua-using-dishonest-tactics-avoid-oversell.html)

beachmouse Sep 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 31511719)
When I was cabbing out to ORD this morning just around 05:00, I can attest that there were multiple lightening strikes in the sky to the north of the airport. But I didn't see any rain.

The lightning might be more of an issue than the rain. OSHA likely frowns on employers letting ramp workers get a little extra crispy.

Kacee Sep 10, 2019 5:19 pm

The other point is that you have contracted with UA for transport from point A to point B. You have not purchased a particular routing. UA specifically has the right under the CoC to alter the routing.

kale73 Sep 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 31511602)
It's amazing how popular AAA and BBB are. I've tried numerous times to book flights there but they must always be sold out because they never show in the search results.

The American Automobile Association HQ is near MCO. The Better Business Bureau national office is in Arlington, VA, so DCA. But if OP was offered a non-stop alternative on United, I’m going to guess that BBB is actually IAD.

bdw1120 Sep 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Isn't the earlier departure time the bigger problem here? OP says the new flight departs over one hour earlier. Making that change without content and notification sounds a bit annoying.

mduell Sep 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by bdw1120 (Post 31512039)
Isn't the earlier departure time the bigger problem here? OP says the new flight departs over one hour earlier. Making that change without content and notification sounds a bit annoying.

The change wasn't made, only proposed, and there were two options, one OP could make:

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 31511407)
She then proceeds to ask if I want to have one of the two AAA-BBB options confirmed. Honesty only one option would work as I can’t make the first one.

mahasamatman Sep 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31511974)
The other point is that you have contracted with UA for transport from point A to point B.

According to the OP, it was actually from point AAA to point BBB...

MBS MillionMiler Sep 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Any time this has happened to me, I’ve received a call in advance, presenting me with options. One time I was not flying out of my home airport, that flight was oversold, they called me 4-5 hour ahead, saved me a 2-hour drive each way (and changed my return flight so my car was at the right airport), and scored a $250 voucher for my “troubles”. But most importantly, no changes were made without my permission.

MSPeconomist Sep 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31511840)
File this under "no good deed goes unpunished."

Your supposition makes little sense unless -- maybe -- AAA is SFO and they're trying to clean up the mess from runway construction. UA might occasionally try to clear an oversell by moving someone onto a more convenient flight, but the idea that there's a big conspiracy to avoid giving vouchers seems over the top. If you had tried to board your original flights, you would have been accommodated on them.

Did you look at the flight statuses? Did they go out full, with no standbys cleared?

I will give you some credit, though -- at least you didn't blame this on somebody wanting to open a space for non-revs...

Would the OP have been able to take the original flights, with upgrades and seats intact? My understanding is that the OP's reservation or ticket was changed by UA without the OP's consent. If OP had simply gone to the airport as planned, he would have missed the new flight. Then what would have happened? Would UA have considered this a no show and just cancelled the ticket?

mduell Sep 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31512127)
Would the OP have been able to take the original flights, with upgrades and seats intact? My understanding is that the OP's reservation or ticket was changed by UA without the OP's consent. If OP had simply gone to the airport as planned, he would have missed the new flight. Then what would have happened? Would UA have considered this a no show and just cancelled the ticket?

My understanding is they just added some protection segs, neither of which were confirmed:

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 31511407)
She then proceeds to ask if I want to have one of the two AAA-BBB options confirmed.

jsloan Sep 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 31512139)
My understanding is they just added some protection segs, neither of which were confirmed:

That's how I read it also. OP was un-checked in -- which is SOP in this situation, and doesn't mean anything -- and then they had the original flights plus two backup nonstop protection flights added. As soon as OP chose the desired option, they protection segments would be dropped and check-in would proceed again.

Kacee Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31512159)
OP was un-checked in -- which is SOP in this situation, and doesn't mean anything -- and then they had the original flights plus two backup nonstop protection flights added.

That's great, proactive UA 1K service. Not just back-up protection, but two different options.

TomMM Sep 10, 2019 7:24 pm

What route did OP eventually fly? Maybe OP only planned on flying AAA-ORD and not ORD-BBB?

Kacee Sep 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 31512232)
What route did OP eventually fly? Maybe OP only planned on flying AAA-ORD and not ORD-BBB?

That's one of the risks of HCT - the carrier can change your routing and you have no recourse.

BeanTownBoy Sep 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 31511602)
It's amazing how popular AAA and BBB are. I've tried numerous times to book flights there but they must always be sold out because they never show in the search results.

Almost as popular as Voinjama in the old days of agents manually typing it in as a dummy destination!

sexykitten7 Sep 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 31511586)
Why the secrecy over airports? Please use real codes. Your privacy is safe here...

Well there are a few lurkers on here so it would be possible for United to identify OP if given enough info. E.g. AZO-ORD 10SEP19. Heck, they can probably do it based on what's presented here (with a few phone calls, of course).