FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Club Wifi changes - new portal, no sign-in (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1985818-united-club-wifi-changes-new-portal-no-sign.html)

nevansm Sep 3, 2019 5:10 pm

United Club Wifi changes - new portal, no sign-in

Looks like they're yet again changing the sign-in experience at United Clubs. This was the new (much better) experience at the ORD F club today.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ab2e076aea.pngJust a normal captive portal, no sign-in or anything. The old sign-in portal was notoriously terrible especially on mobile devices (and had a glaring security bug). Glad to see they're moving to just a normal captive portal. Bandwidth certainly hasn't been an issue in clubs for some time.

WineCountryUA Sep 3, 2019 5:15 pm

Some of UCs have not had log-ins for a couple of months, I guess the pirating by outside users is no longer a concern.

nevansm Sep 3, 2019 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31487479)
Some of UCs have not had log-ins for a couple of months, I guess the pirating by outside users is no longer a concern.

Yes, I should've pointed out, this is the third different type of sign-in experience within the US-based clubs.

fumje Sep 3, 2019 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm (Post 31487481)
Yes, I should've pointed out, this is the third different type of sign-in experience within the US-based clubs.

The ones with a password also have this 'agree' page (showed up same time for p/w and no p/w).

Not sure if it has shown up internationally.

leng Sep 3, 2019 6:32 pm

This is good news. My user/password never worked and I had to resort to the 'daily' password to use the wifi.

restlessinRNO Sep 3, 2019 7:02 pm

Excellent news. Progress is being made! :)

mahasamatman Sep 3, 2019 7:18 pm

No password at SFO.

seat38a Sep 3, 2019 8:12 pm

At three different clubs this past weekend, my phone auto connected to the WiFi from previous sign in months ago.

Kacee Sep 3, 2019 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by leng (Post 31487631)
This is good news. My user/password never worked and I had to resort to the 'daily' password to use the wifi.

That varies by airport. HNL and PHX, for example, you always have to use their password.

Originally Posted by seat38a (Post 31487860)
At three different clubs this past weekend, my phone auto connected to the WiFi from previous sign in months ago.

I make a point of forgetting UC wifi on my iPhone. Public wifi is not secure.

belfordrocks Sep 4, 2019 5:20 am

Possibly to do with more and more free wifi at basically every airport now?

lotemblizej Sep 4, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31487974)
That varies by airport. HNL and PHX, for example, you always have to use their password.

I make a point of forgetting UC wifi on my iPhone. Public wifi is not secure.

HNL UC still required password on August 29, 2019.

fumje Sep 4, 2019 7:11 am

To be clear: this new greeting / agree page is independent of the password or no password at United Clubs.

Some clubs have a password, and then after entering the password you wind up at the page in the screenshot above.

Some clubs do not have a password and you go straight to that page. However, it has been the case for quite some time that some clubs do not have a password.

I did not test as I always use the daily password, but I have to assume that the security flaw for MP credentials is still present for the clubs requiring sign in before this greeting page.

eng3 Sep 4, 2019 9:10 am

I've noticed this for a while. I've had an agent say "it might recognize you so you dont have to login". So maybe they somehow recognize your device from a previous visit? I've notice that a few hotels which use to require logging in too. Maybe the tie your MAC to your FF#? or maybe they dont care anymore

1P Sep 4, 2019 9:51 am

I haven't had to sign in for at least six months but connect automatically. I assume that the system recognizes my phone each time, or that my phone tells the system that it has previously connected to a UC wifi.

bocastephen Sep 4, 2019 9:44 pm

This is a change I certainly don't like - I guess everyone has a short memory and does not remember all the clamoring we had for password control to keep the riffraff off our wifi network, and away from the club entrance doors?

Maybe Kirby thinks passwords aren't free? I just don't understand this change.