Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club Wifi changes - new portal, no sign-in

Old Sep 3, 19, 5:10 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist

Looks like they're yet again changing the sign-in experience at United Clubs. This was the new (much better) experience at the ORD F club today.
Just a normal captive portal, no sign-in or anything. The old sign-in portal was notoriously terrible especially on mobile devices (and had a glaring security bug). Glad to see they're moving to just a normal captive portal. Bandwidth certainly hasn't been an issue in clubs for some time.
Old Sep 3, 19, 5:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Some of UCs have not had log-ins for a couple of months, I guess the pirating by outside users is no longer a concern.
Old Sep 3, 19, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Some of UCs have not had log-ins for a couple of months, I guess the pirating by outside users is no longer a concern.
Yes, I should've pointed out, this is the third different type of sign-in experience within the US-based clubs.
Old Sep 3, 19, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm View Post
Yes, I should've pointed out, this is the third different type of sign-in experience within the US-based clubs.
The ones with a password also have this 'agree' page (showed up same time for p/w and no p/w).

Not sure if it has shown up internationally.
Old Sep 3, 19, 6:32 pm

This is good news. My user/password never worked and I had to resort to the 'daily' password to use the wifi.
elitefreak, Absolute and cricketer like this.

Last edited by leng; Sep 3, 19 at 7:07 pm
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Excellent news. Progress is being made!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
No password at SFO.
Old Sep 3, 19, 8:12 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
At three different clubs this past weekend, my phone auto connected to the WiFi from previous sign in months ago.
1P likes this.
Old Sep 3, 19, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by leng View Post
This is good news. My user/password never worked and I had to resort to the 'daily' password to use the wifi.
That varies by airport. HNL and PHX, for example, you always have to use their password.

Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
At three different clubs this past weekend, my phone auto connected to the WiFi from previous sign in months ago.
I make a point of forgetting UC wifi on my iPhone. Public wifi is not secure.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:20 am

Possibly to do with more and more free wifi at basically every airport now?
Old Sep 4, 19, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That varies by airport. HNL and PHX, for example, you always have to use their password.

I make a point of forgetting UC wifi on my iPhone. Public wifi is not secure.
HNL UC still required password on August 29, 2019.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:11 am

To be clear: this new greeting / agree page is independent of the password or no password at United Clubs.

Some clubs have a password, and then after entering the password you wind up at the page in the screenshot above.

Some clubs do not have a password and you go straight to that page. However, it has been the case for quite some time that some clubs do not have a password.

I did not test as I always use the daily password, but I have to assume that the security flaw for MP credentials is still present for the clubs requiring sign in before this greeting page.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
I've noticed this for a while. I've had an agent say "it might recognize you so you dont have to login". So maybe they somehow recognize your device from a previous visit? I've notice that a few hotels which use to require logging in too. Maybe the tie your MAC to your FF#? or maybe they dont care anymore
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:51 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL working my way up, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
I haven't had to sign in for at least six months but connect automatically. I assume that the system recognizes my phone each time, or that my phone tells the system that it has previously connected to a UC wifi.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
This is a change I certainly don't like - I guess everyone has a short memory and does not remember all the clamoring we had for password control to keep the riffraff off our wifi network, and away from the club entrance doors?

Maybe Kirby thinks passwords aren't free? I just don't understand this change.

Search this Thread