FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   LAX Premier check-in and 1Ks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1984997-lax-premier-check-1ks.html)

ContinentalFan Aug 28, 2019 9:25 pm

LAX Premier check-in and 1Ks

In my experience, Premier check-in at LAX is a mess. Everything is consolidated, so no special lines or treatment for Polaris or 1K passengers. When multiple desks are open, two, three or four separate lines form. It’s a hassle if you’re caught behind someone with problem itinerary.

I spoke to someone at LAX who said she was a supervisor. I learned two things. When asked why there isn’t a separate line for 1Ks, I was told 1Ks don’t want it—I find that really hard to believe. I was also told that almost no airports have separate lines for Polaris and/or 1Ks.

Ive been through SFO, EWR, SAN, LHR and FRA recently and recall separate checkin for Polaris/1Ks. I frankly don’t recall if there is a consolidated check-in at other airports. I’ve reached out to United, twice, on this issue and have yet to hear back from them.

I’ve dismissed the claim that 1Ks don’t want a separate check-in as nonsense. Is it true that most other airports now have a consolidated premier check-in?

Kacee Aug 28, 2019 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan (Post 31468439)
I spoke to someone at LAX who said she was a supervisor. I learned two things. When asked why there isn’t a separate line for 1Ks, I was told 1Ks don’t want it—I find that really hard to believe.

"Because that's what our customers prefer" is one of the truly outrageous lies companies tell when they're just cutting costs.

onthesam Aug 28, 2019 10:11 pm

This has been lamented since the opening of the T7 check in lobby:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...hanges-16.html

SFO 1K Aug 28, 2019 10:18 pm

DEN currently has dedicated 1K & GS check-in area.
RNO has a little 1K line on the far left, but it was also being used as "Premier Access" when I checked in at 4:30AM on a Saturday and the queue was horrendous. I would have done better just using a kiosk to check-in and waiting for someone to tag my bag.

Aussienarelle Aug 29, 2019 1:47 am

You are correct SAN has the separate line and let me assure you as a 1K I want it and use it!

I rarely need the check-in counters at LAX but when I do the lines are a complete mess and the Premier lines take longer then the general lines. I use LAX as a connection point with United but avoid having to connect through LAX for international flights returning to the USA. I do fly using LAX for OALs I just do not understand why LAX is such a mess landside for United.

JimInOhio Aug 29, 2019 4:55 am

I’ve checked in at LAX as a 1K several times and can’t remember ever being behind more than one person. Usually just walk right up and am helped right away.

dmurphynj Aug 29, 2019 6:35 am

What a crock.

I'm an EWR flyer and I can assure you that EWR has a separate checkin for Polaris & 1K flyers. I use it infrequently - most of my travel is domestic without checked bags - but when I do take a family trip, I greatly appreciate it.

I also just flew back from LHR - they certainly have one too.

She's, for lack of a better word, full of it.

Kacee Aug 29, 2019 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31468966)
You are correct SAN has the separate line and let me assure you as a 1K I want it and use it.

The agents at SAN are great and really take care of 1Ks.

At SFO domestic, I'm more likely to stop at one of the economy counters if I'm checking bags rather than use the dedicated Premier (no 1K) line, as it tends to be a zoo down there, then you have to backtrack to security. For international, there is a separate 1K/Polaris line but it often gets quite backed up (no surprise at SFO).

iapetus Aug 29, 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan (Post 31468439)
When asked why there isn’t a separate line for 1Ks, I was told 1Ks don’t want it ...

Well, nobody asked me! ;)

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 31469261)
I’ve checked in at LAX as a 1K several times and can’t remember ever being behind more than one person. Usually just walk right up and am helped right away.

+1 I'm not sure what to make of everyone claiming it to be a mess. :confused:

nomad420 Aug 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Perhaps you misunderstood her, maybe she said 1Ks don't deserve it. ;)

emcampbe Aug 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K (Post 31468539)
DEN currently has dedicated 1K & GS check-in area.
RNO has a little 1K line on the far left, but it was also being used as "Premier Access" when I checked in at 4:30AM on a Saturday and the queue was horrendous. I would have done better just using a kiosk to check-in and waiting for someone to tag my bag.

United has really bad signage. Most of the signs for Premier Access, at least at the airports that don’t have separate GS/1K areas say something like Premier 1K and Polaris, without really mentioning anyone else. There’s even a thread wondering if there is supposed to be a comma between the Premier and 1K, complete with a sign that has the comma added in manually.

If premier access is going to be a benefit, UA really shouldn’t hide it. they should have proper signage. As a silver, I really appreciate having Premier Access, and I have absolutely no issue with their being a separate line just for 1K/GS. But either have the benefit, along with the proper sign to designate, or just don’t have the benefit. Hiding it shouldn’t be an option. I’d guess there are a significant number of lower level premiers (ie gold/silver) who don’t use the line they are entitled to because the proper signage isn’t there. If there isn’t a specific Premier Access line, I’ll always go to the Premier 1K line. Before I get flamed, this was always the case in the past going back to PMUA as long as I can remember - if there was no specific line for all elites (I forget old UAs name for it), then you were welcome to use the business/1K line.

As for LAX, checked in last week, and I don’t recall specifically a line for GS/1K, but there was a handful of desks, a couple of which had agents, and then an area with kiosks to use just next to there. I chose the kiosks since the agents were busy with others,, but I really hate them, especially when traveling with a family whose reservation is split, because they are soooooooooo slow to access anything. They also print BPs in the wrong order...every time (originating BP prints before connecting BP, meaning the connecting BP that typically don’t need for several hours is always on top).

jmanirish Aug 29, 2019 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 31471078)
Perhaps you misunderstood her, maybe she said 1Ks don't deserve it. ;)

Or maybe she said all other Premiers who aren't 1K don't want it... ;)

SFOdelayed Aug 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31471582)

As for LAX, checked in last week, and I don’t recall specifically a line for GS/1K, but there was a handful of desks, a couple of which had agents, and then an area with kiosks to use just next to there. I chose the kiosks since the agents were busy with others,, but I really hate them, especially when traveling with a family whose reservation is split, because they are soooooooooo slow to access anything. They also print BPs in the wrong order...every time (originating BP prints before connecting BP, meaning the connecting BP that typically don’t need for several hours is always on top).

LAX has a GS lobby. The agents are great, never have had to queue.

DELee Aug 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 31471582)
There’s even a thread wondering if there is supposed to be a comma between the Premier and 1K, complete with a sign that has the comma added in manually.

Comma Added to Sign by Prankster? Premier, 1K or Premier 1K?

And from a different thread (New LAX T7 GS & Premier Access check-in lobby), here's a panoramic shot of the "Premier Access" area:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f5219fd9f1.jpg

To the left of this area/lobby, is the "Global Reception". @cesco.g has a few shots posted in the New LAX T7 GS & Premier Access check-in lobby of the GS lobby as well as the Premier Access counters.

So, to address @ContinentalFan's initial post, there are unfortunately no dedicated Polaris nor 1K stations at LAX in the Premier Access lobby. At peak periods, Polaris and 1K passengers are gonna get stuck behind lesser "Premier" mortals.

That being said, I expect that the waits over on the non-Premier side at LAX are even worse unfortunately.

David

wxguy Aug 29, 2019 6:43 pm

BOS has a separate Polaris/1K line. And just to the left of that, a chute for GS who will be called by the first available agent, whether it be the GS desk or the Polaris/1K desk.