Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reduced service: ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-2019 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reduced service: ORD-HKG suspended as of 8-Sept-2019 & EWR-EZE suspended as of 26-Oct

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I've been in totally full AA JFK-EZE J cabins 5-10 times in that last 2-3 years - all flights that were J0/J1/J2 (ie full without opups and staff travel). Wonder why UA found it so much harder
AA has much better Latam coverage than UA. Also, the fact that South America's own LATAM is a fellow OW member alongside AA makes AA a more attractive choice for EZE-based business travelers, for mileage-credit reasons.

I don't think UA ever figured its Argentina strategy out. The IAD flight was a shambolic disaster, and now EWR bites the dust. I think the loss of TAM as a Star Alliance partner probably didn't help. Maybe IAH is safe because it's useful for the US oil companies doing business in Neuquén (and those guys are all loyal to UA).
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For DL, JFK-NCE is a very profitable seasonal route. Flights are full and they command a premium price.
Rich people going to a rich-people destination. As long as Wall St is doing ok, that route should remain profitable.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Just saw my itinerary change, originally had YYZ-ORD-HKG.

Now they have me rerouted as YYZ-ORD-EWR-HKG-EWR-YYZ.

You guys think there’s a chance for UA to put me on a YYZ-EWR direct for outbound instead of routing through ORD?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Just saw my itinerary change, originally had YYZ-ORD-HKG.

Now they have me rerouted as YYZ-ORD-EWR-HKG-EWR-YYZ.

You guys think there’s a chance for UA to put me on a YYZ-EWR direct for outbound instead of routing through ORD?
Why not? Give them a call and let them know that you would prefer that. UA is quite flexible when there’s a schedule change
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Why not? Give them a call and let them know that you would prefer that. UA is quite flexible when there’s a schedule change
thanks! I’ve only called into UA twice this year and I usually get bad luck hence why I was hesitant. But looks like it worked out well
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Considering that UA877 is still on the schedule and for sale, it's safe to say there are currently no rebooking parameters.

But if it is cancelled, I would expect to be able to get that change (to UA1).
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
The new SFO flight hasn't been axed...yet.
It won't be. UA stressed to me over and over again that the second SFO flight will not be cut.
sinoflyer, narvik and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It won't be. UA stressed to me over and over again that the second SFO flight will not be cut.
UA management also told me at the November 2012 MegaDO that the CLE hublet was profitable and wasn't going anywhere and that they wouldn't mess over people who bought lifetime CO PC memberships.

Good way to tell if UA is lying is if their lips are moving
goodeats21 and nomad420 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
This is not unique. United and Continental did this going into NRT back in 2011 after the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami. It took over 6 months before service returned to normal. They cut a lot of TRANSPAC routes and reduced GUM service.

I would think they'd bring back ORD-HKG but maybe loads aren't what they used to be even before the protests.
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC

Currently they put me on IAH-EWR-HKG for December with upgrades intact but with only an hour connection time...still thinking about whether it's enough time and whether they could put me on an earlier flight out of IAH and still retain the UG.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by DFWFairy

Currently they put me on IAH-EWR-HKG for December with upgrades intact but with only an hour connection time...still thinking about whether it's enough time and whether they could put me on an earlier flight out of IAH and still retain the UG.
Calling sooner than later always helps in a case like this, hope you get the flights and upgraded space that you’re seeking. Let us know how it all works out
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
still thinking about whether it's enough time and whether they could put me on an earlier flight out of IAH and still retain the UG.
Yes they can and should if you ask.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC

Calling sooner than later always helps in a case like this, hope you get the flights and upgraded space that you’re seeking. Let us know how it all works out
Was able to make the change with UG intact. They were pretty nice about it. I was a bit concerned about possile delay around EWR. It all worked out!
kevino, Flying Machine and oopl like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see how things in HK can be settled any time soon. .
So, this can have a long term effect on HK. It seems cutting ORD-HKG gives people the opportunity to try CX or other *A one-stop options (e.g. via ICN, NRT, TPE, YVR, YYZ). Is that good for the long run?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2019 at 2:04 pm Reason: Let's not go OMNI
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by username
So, this can have a long term effect on HK. It seems cutting ORD-HKG gives people the opportunity to try CX or other *A one-stop options (e.g. via ICN, NRT, TPE, YVR, YYZ). Is that good for the long run?
I would not mind flying NH or even BR. ESP when NH is upgrading its business class product. However, I would skip over CX as the new management is taking a hard line against staff who support the protest movement. Just a matter of principle.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
So UA is supposed to run a flight at a substantial loss in order to make sure that the customers -- who aren't booking the flight, which is the problem -- don't think to try other airlines?
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.